Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 06:18 AM

Default Watering times.. ..

I wanted to ask everyone whose growing medium is dirt when they think the best time is to water there plants !!

By this i mean do you let the pots dry out so there very light' and water like this, or do you have some other way'

I ask this as alot of new growers in particular all seem to over water and the plant suffers for it, as in if the top soil looks dry then they water again, this is not good, I usually let my plants go a good 3 full days and nights before watering,more if there in bigger pots,
Or il water when some plants bottom shade leaves will be wilting, this doesnt hurt plants in anyway from what ive noticed over the years and if anything helps them stay stronger as in hold up better or longer if for some reason they cant be watered one day/nite you were meant to water, and of course theve more chance of being saved the next day/nite we water'

I didnt ask of coco mediums as ive never tried em, i think its the same deal as dirt though,?

On a final note id like to ask if you guys water plants the day/night before harvest time, - I water the night before harvest wheather the plants need it or not, doing this makes the buds tighten up more is all, Wheather or not this makes any difference to the dried product i really dont no ?
Just something i like to do..

Links to various threads Ive previously written on the forums here - ie: - On breeding pink skunks/
old super skunk hybrid - Medicinal type -

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/6-breeders-support-information/6918-breeding-pink-skunks.html

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/16-bud-sh...ldt-cross.html
Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 AM

good post im a bastard for over watering lol
Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 AM

hey all. i'v always believed in lettin the medium go through a nice wet-dry cycle... this gives em the most of 2 things they love- air around the rootzone, then life givin wter.. this rule of thumb also dictates the ideal pot size in my experience.. a happy pot size will allow for this cycle as well as providing protection from waterlogging and cold soil temps.. as for waterin close to harvest, i usually tend to keep em on the dry side... just my gut feelin.. often the last 4-5 days, my girls slow their water intake very noticably, so that's the cue i take i guess.. cheers..

Last edited by jondojoando; 12-14-2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: i was editing.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 AM

I water based on the weight of the container. For me, it does not take very long to dial-in when they need to be watered. I usually just feel how heavy they are after a good saturation of the soil after transplanting to get my baseline. I usually also lightly water between main waterings to keep the surface of the soil wet. Since I use a mulch layer on top of the soil, the roots actually grow up out of the soil into the mulch layer and I find my plants are just a bit happier when the top is moist.

I personally do not think it's good to ever let the soil dry out. This is because nutrient lockouts can occur and I don't ever want my soil microlife(bacteria and fungi) to die. I don't really use liquid nutrients to force feed my plants, so the bacteria and fungi are what make all of the nutrients available to the plants.

Oxygen is important to the roots and the microlife though, so proper aeration is necessary. Perlite is your best friend. Small nugget perlite=more surface area=more oxygen

Also, my mentor taught me to always water twice. I'm not sure if this is a common practice, but it is quite important. By watering lightly first, and then waiting 15mins to a few hours to finish watering, you will avoid lots of runoff and dry zones in the container. The soil needs to be a bit moist first to really allow the water to penetrate completely and evenly.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 AM

that's an excellent tip, G4G.. i too do the moisten, wait, saturate thing. also, in my previous post, dry doesn't mean bone dry.. y'all know what i mean...
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Banned

^^^^ Damn you guys are good in the time it took me to compose my reply you guys have already said it as I noticed after I posted . The quick an the dead eh ?

G`day Bambi
Yep I am an avid listener to and watcher of horticulture shows on radio and TV ,an thats the method that I keep hearin let em dry then deep watering so the root system searches for water and is hardened to drought .
Another tip I`d like to pass on is 2 stage watering which compliments the drying out method .
With this method what we`re trying to do is get the water evenly distributed throughout the medium . So the tech is to water a small amount taking attention to pouring water slowly so to reduce runoff and water escaping down between the soil and the wall of the pot . Then approx 5 mins later water thoroughly ,now the soil has been wet for a little while it absorbs water a lot better and also retains water better as evidenced by heavier pot weights using this method .
Thanks for sharin
Elmer Bud

Last edited by Elmer Bud; 12-14-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 AM

EB, I agree about letting the soil dry out, just not too dry. If the soil is too moist, the roots will not grow enough in search of water because they have all they need. I just use the pot weight method and so far the roots are filling the containers. The pot almost feels empty compared to when the soil is saturated.

*edit* ok, so I'm beating the dead horse about the dry soil. Now I see you're all saying the same thing as me.

Last edited by Green 4 Good; 12-14-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Gaw'd bloody Dam it to helen back' - I just lost my last reply to you guys when i tried to post it i needed to log in again, dont ya just love it when that happens' not.,'

To be honest im a tad too shit faced to write much now, ha but i do like g/f/goods idea or mulch medium method, i think il try it out my next round with one light to test things out, ive only seen one variety of seed grow its roots upward like this before, more roots the better though'' and yep Flogging a dead horse here i think'' that made me grin that one'

and yeah, those horticulture shows elmer mentioned are super fucking handy aye mate, the tips you can take on board for our own use can be most benifish benificial to to us all over.

Links to various threads Ive previously written on the forums here - ie: - On breeding pink skunks/
old super skunk hybrid - Medicinal type -

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/6-breeders-support-information/6918-breeding-pink-skunks.html

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/16-bud-sh...ldt-cross.html

Last edited by Bambi; 12-14-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

all good advice except for the keeping the top moist all the time , when doing that you cause the roots to grow UP towards or in search of moisture insted of down , water evenly then water again when needed , you want roots growing down to reach the moist soil not up

but thats just my opinion

peace
Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Resinfinger

I've noticed if the top is wet it attracts pests. The day after watering I dig into the top layer of soil and loosen it a bit. Since I've done this I rarely ever see gnats.