Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Default Doobz Goes Hydro Loco

I have decided to carry on here as the other thread was for the grow thats just finished. This is my new adventure

20 Clones (Unknown Version)
20 Site DIY Aeroflo2 System
600W HPS Bloom
600W MH Grow
Ecotechnics Diamond Reflectors
Ecotechnics Precision Timer
Chempak Nutrients. Possibly changing to Vitalink Bloom
8" RVK Extraction
6" RVK Intake
2400W Heater
Ecotechnics Evolution Controller Managing the Environment.
Hotbox Sulfume Keeping fungus and Mites at bay

First are some Pics of the Equipment I will be using..

Light times for all my plants in veg are 18/6
Pump times for the clones at the moment are 4min off and 1min on. When lights go out I don't run the pump at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8748.jpg (42.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8918.jpg (44.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9010.jpg (66.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9012.jpg (65.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg med_gallery_25934_2956_36948.jpg (31.6 KB, 24 views)

Its Nice To Be Important.. But Its More Important To Be Nice..

Last edited by Doobz; 11-26-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:28 PM

Okay tonights the night the plants go into the system. Its been a mad busy day now that the kids are back at school.

I set the system up. Made the rez cover and covered the ends of the chambers. The covers for the chambers should be good for a few weeks till the roots start making their way into the rez. then it may be a stocking job at the end of the chambers to stop the roots from falling out.

I drilled some screws into the base to keep the chambers from moving from side to side. and then screwed the one half of the rez over to the rez so the chambers and the holes in the rez cover match up and wont ever move. The rez cover is a two piece effort made of Correx

Then we ran into a problem...

I got everything built up and filled the system with water and gave it a good clean and then ran some H202 through the whole thing. While running the system I noticed all the dripper pipes were leaking. Upon closer inspection it seemed that they had swelled while being outside so I just snipped a bit off and replaced them and everything was good to go. I put some silicone on them just in case.

After that I dumped the rez. I thought it would be a good idea to do a practice run as if I was doing a rez change. The way I am going to do it is with a small pump and some hosepipe into the toilet downstairs.. Worked a treat.. Once it was drained I gave it a good wipe down and then filled it back up with 40L water and with the nutes and I adjusted the PH. The system has been running since 12 this afternoon on constantly.

Everything seems to be okay. No leakes. One of the sprayers had something blocking it. A bit of a toothpick later and it was jizzing all over the place again!!

At 2pm I turned on the 600W MH to see what kind of temp increase I would get in the rez. So far it has not risen at all and still constant.

The plants went into the Aeroflo a few hours ago and I snapped a pic or two just before. I will check on them a bit later..

Temps 25C
RH 55%

Nute Temps 19C
Nute PH 5.71
Nute EC 0.8
40ml Vitalink Max A
40ml Vitalink Max B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9029.JPG (105.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9031.JPG (75.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9032.JPG (64.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9042.JPG (161.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9043.JPG (157.4 KB, 28 views)

Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 PM

Thats a cool setup, how long are the gutters and how big is the rez?Best of luck I'll keep a eye on this one
Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Cheers dtopaz1, The gutters are about 1.2m and the rez is 80L but I only have it filled with 40L so I can change feeds once a week

Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Doobz, being just a simple soil boy, I can only look on in awe
Sweet setup Hydro loco indeed!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Exclamation 2400 Watt Heater

Hi Doobz ; What An Exiting Thread
I Was Going Through Your Growroom Equiptment List And Everything Was Getting My Nod Until I Saw You Mentioned Something About A 4x600 Watt Heater

Anyhoo , I've Pulled Up A Seat For This Thread
Joe

Last edited by Joe King Park; 11-05-2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Clean Up Post- Satisfy Justagrower
Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King Park View Post
Hi Doobz ; What An Exiting Thread
I Was Going Through Your Growroom Equiptment List And Everything Was Getting My Nod Until I Saw You Mentioned Something About A 4x600 Watt Heater
Last Winters ( We All Endured A Challenge In UK/Europe ) Cold Really Slowed Down My Early Hazes To A Snail Pace Grow Which Took Over 4 Months Flower Time ( A Kind Estimate )
At The Time I Only Ran One Single 600 HPS/Adjustashade And Used 2000+ Watts To Keep The Room Warm During Lights Off.
Can I Suggest A Few Options That Would Probably Enable You To Use Another Two 600's Whilst Saving 600 Watts In Your Pocket ( The Other 600 Watts Used To Actually Heat Your Joint )
First Suggestion ; A Breeder Steve Tip ; Lay A Tarp Down In Grow Room Floor And Sandwich A Electric Heating Blanket ( Wal Mart ) And Fold Over Tarp And Make Sure To Use A RCD Trip Switch
Second Suggestion ; Pipe Heaters (80 and 160 Watt Versions) Are Available In B&Q Chrome Or Growell Sell Them In Waterproof Green Plastic For 25 Quid
I Cannot Afford A 2000 Plus Watt Heating System So Will Be Using The Pipes And 150 Watt Res Heater And Also The Electric Blanket ( I Cannot Afford My Dream Underfloor Heater - See http://www.hotboxworld.com But Will Make Do And Mend
It's Great You Are Starting A Hydro Grow At The Same Time I'm Getting Back Into It Too
Maybe We Could Bounce A Few Ideas Back And Forth ( Creative Or Constructive Critisism N Praise , n ,All That , lol ?
As With 90% Of All Past Hydro Grows I'm Relying On My Handy GHE PH Test Indicator And Religious Nute Changes ( As My 80 Litre Res Will Be Feeding A Drip To Waste System I Don't Expect Much Fluctuation In PH Reading And Will Start @ 1/4 Strength , Increasing A Little Bit Each Week And Flushing On The Third Weeks
Heres Another Product ; It's Called The Blowback Heater ; Heat Rises And This Fan Redirects It To Around Your Root Zone It's Available From http://www.twowests.co.uk
You Can Also Stick A Heating Bag Which Is Basically A Long Length Of Volcano Bag With Small Holes In It To Disperse Heat Evenly
What Happened To That Oil Filled Radiator From Hell ? ; Its Gone To The Recycling Depot
Thank Jah
Anyhoo , I've Pulled Up A Seat For This Thread
Joe

my neighbour nearly died when their electric blanket went on fire when he fell asleep with it on . an rcd will not help you if the thermostat on the blanket has a fault and it overheats. this tip is one of the most stupid , dangerous pieces of bad advice i v read in a long time. nothing personal JKP, just dont want someone torching their grow and ending up with the fire brigade and law turning up.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:36 AM

Hiya Joe, nice to have you along.

The Heater has 2 modes on it. It can do 1200w or 2400w. I have it set on 1200 and the Evoloution controller seems to bring in enough warm air from downstairs as I have an intake that comes in from house. I think the heater only comes on when temps drop real low which is quite rare in my loft.

I have heard some horror stories about Electric Blankets myself. Especially the elderly and frail.

If I were to change the type of heater I would probably go with a gas greenhouse heater as they also give off extra Co2 but so far everything seems nice and stable in there.. Touch Wood!!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justagrower View Post

my neighbour nearly died when their electric blanket went on fire when he fell asleep with it on . an rcd will not help you if the thermostat on the blanket has a fault and it overheats. this tip is one of the most stupid , dangerous pieces of bad advice i v read in a long time. nothing personal JKP, just dont want someone torching their grow and ending up with the fire brigade and law turning up.
Precautions Must Be Taken And It Can Be Done Safely
Alternatively You Can Use The Soil Warming Cables Pictured Or Even Buy A Large Heating Mat
A RCD And Timer Used Goes Without Saying
" Faults And Overheating " ; I've Had A Ballast Blow Up On Me And Cause Several Thousand Dollars Worth Of Damage, So I'm All Familiar With Faults .
Your Opinion Is Your Own , But Please Try To Take What You Need , And Leave The Rest
I Am Only Posting Options Or Suggestions
None Taken
JKP
Old 11-03-2010, 07:42 AM

The Plants went into 12/12 this morning so we will go from today as their start date.

Just 1 pic before the lights went out. I can see there has been a bit of growth since they went in under 48 hours ago..

First Pic is from when they went in and the second one is from now