Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeOn View Post
Another question for you, since you started using the coco have you had any bug problems? I noticed after the first transplant into larger coco pots gnats flying around, and what I think are root aphids. I think it could have been the shop I got it at (using botanicare cocogro), or possibly they came in from outside. I've seen a lot of people on other sites having similar issues in coco.
SO when hydrating your coco bails use really hot water if you can, as hot as you can get it. This will help mitigate any eggs and pests. Ale
Old 07-24-2010, 05:40 AM

Quality coco shouldn't have this problem in the first place. I think the best prevention for pests is to buy a quality coco.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 PM

This is the USELESS formula that I use and a lot of other people use it as well
Its biggest attribute is that there is virtually NO ph swing, IF FOLLOWED CORRECTLY!!!!
The growth rate is amazing, only thing is you gotta add some epsom salts in the first week flowering, other than that its hands free

Good luck.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........

OK, I figured I would post this here, since some folks are asking about the GH 3 part.
This is my feed schedule -

Here is the nutrient regimen I use and how I control PH with little or no ph up or down...

So OK - feeding schedule week by week. This is the GH weekly feeding program, slightly tweaked. I will only call out the volume of each part per gallon of water in the following manner: grow, micro, bloom, ppm range. Example - 5-2.5-2.5-400/800 would mean 5 ml grow, 2.5 ml micro, 2.5 ml bloom and a ppm of 400-880. Remember it's per gallon. You Euro's can easily convert to liters. 4 liters is just a little bit over 1 gallon. It should also be noted that I use the hardwater micro due to my tapwater. I suggest using the hardwater micro in place of the regular micro if your tap water is over 200 ppm total or you have over 70 ppm Ca. RO water users should use the regular micro.
Veg -
week 1 5-2.5-2.5-400/600
week 2 10-5-3- 600/800
week 3 12-6-3 800/1000 (continue week 3 formula if additional veg time is required.)

Bloom
week 1 6-6-10- 800/1200
week 2 3-7-12 - 1000/1400
week 3 3-8-14 - 1000/1400
week 4 3-8-16 - 1000/1400
week 5 (discussed in detail below*)
week 6 0-7-20 - 1000/1400
week 7 0-6-20 (see bleow**)
* During week 5 if not using a booster like Superbud, Bushmaster Kabloom etc. run 2.5-7-18. I use MOAB (Mother of All Blooms) or BushMaster at 50% of recommended strength, and use 1.25-3.5-9 for the fert base.
**If running an 8 week strain you should only run the ferts during week 7 for a maximum of 3-4 days. This gives you 10 days for flushing. I should note that if I use ferts for a few days in week 7, I take the lants over the 8 week mark. Personally I flush for a min of 14 days. But 10 is bare minimum imo/ime.

The ppms work out almost exactly. I tend to lean toward the lower side of the range, unless I have a really heavy feeder that I know can handle it.

At every ressy change out I add in 5 drops per gallon of 35% food grade H2O2. During flush use ph adjusted water at 5.5-6.0
I will add epsom salt at week 1 of bloom if the plants are heavy feeders AND I see signs of an Mg def. Otherwise I won't use it. The only time I have ever had Mg def is during transition. The GH 3 part is a little low on Mg, but the PBP and Canna nutes are way lower.

Now- how to control your PH...
There are a couple factors that cause your PH to drift. The most common is running the nute solution too strong or too weak. If it's too strong, your PH drops. If it's too weak the PH rises. You have to find the balance point. If you find that the formula above is say, a little strong, and say you have a 20 gallon ressy, mix the nutes for 18 gallons. If it's a little weak, mix it for 22 gallons. You follow?
The other common mistake is mixing your nutrient solution and trying to adjust the PH right away. You have to allow time for the ph buffers in the nutrient solution to do their job. Mix the nutes up, and bubble or circulate for 12 hours before even looking at your PH. You will find the PH to be almost right on target.
I use little or no ph adjusters. (Except during flush). I use tap water, with a starting PPM of 300-400 and a starting PH of 7.4-9.0 (Thats crazy you say! The water is too hard, you will never get stable PH and you will have too much Ca, causing a lockout of Mg!) Bollocks I say.
Every week, on Friday I drain the ressy and fill with plain water. I let that run overnight giving the plants a little flush. This also allows the chlorine and ammonia to evap. On Saturday morning, I mix the nutes into the ressy. I DO NOT adjust ph at this time. Let that run as is overnight. On Sunday morning, I check ph and adjust if needed. Usually don't have to.
Doing things this way has saved me from constant PH drifts, and using about 150 ml of ph down every ressy change, and a little here and there throughout the week to keep it in the desired range. Now, the most I ever have to use is about 30 ml.if any at all. (I have a 35 gallon ressy btw) My Ph stays at a constant 5.5-5.8.

If you are still having PH issues using the above method, an alternative is to PH adjust the plain water to 5.5 BEFORE you add nutes.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Hello I use the GH 3 part series and I tried the Lucas formula and didnt like it maybe i was a newb but i didnt like the way my plants took to it. It is easy I tried the 1-2-3 system didnt like it either I found a great recipe over at GK forum and it works awesome.. We call it the useless formula and my plants have never looked better... if you want that recipe just pm and i will get it later see if you like it thanks and hope this helps

EDIT*** as you can see Chris already put up the recipe as you can see we both use it and it works AWESOME... Hey Chris hope all is well my GK brotha
Old 08-14-2010, 06:58 PM

I have a few different recipes here if you like.. You might be able to strike some sort of happy medium between them all..

BD97's recipe for General Hydroponics 3-part nutrient solution designed for aeroponics and other constant feeding strategies. Ml per gallon.

Epsom salts are used at 1.5 tsp per 5 gallons of Reverse Osmosis water. pH is held around 5.8. Blossom Blood (a bloom additive) is added at week 3 and they are flushed for the final 12 days.

Veg

Week-----1-----2

Grow-----3-----6

Bloom----3-----2

Micro----3-----4

Bloom

Week-----1-----2-----3-----4-----5-----6-----7

Grow-----3-----3-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2

Bloom----6-----6-----6-----6-----6-----6-----6

Micro----3-----3-----4-----4-----4-----2-----2

Ml per Gallon

Its Nice To Be Important.. But Its More Important To Be Nice..
Old 08-14-2010, 07:00 PM

These mixes work well and are the accepted standard mix recommended for newbies as well as those new to GH Flora series nutes. It is simple to remember: 3-2-1...2-2-2...1-2-3. Listed as (grow-micro-bloom) Always mix the micro into the water first.

**Teaspoons per US gallon (5ml = 1 part)

Vegetative stage: Use 3-2-1 (3 parts grow, 2 parts micro, 1 part bloom)
Early flowering: first 2-3 weeks or until stretching stops: Use 2-2-2 (2 parts each)
Late flowering: Use 1-2-3 (1 part grow, 2 parts micro, 3 parts bloom)

** Dilute final mixture (or adjust part size) to suit your plants nutrient strength (EC/TDS) requirements. GH Flora series is slightly lacking Mg, add 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon epsom salts per gallon of final mix. Dissolve the salts in some warm water before adding to your nutrient reservoir.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 PM

General Hydroponics Flora Series Feeding Strategy - Lucas Formula

G-M-B (Grow-Micro-Bloom)
0-5-10 - For Vegetative cycle (18/6)
0-8-16 - For Flowering cycle (12/12)

The numbers above indicate the number of milliliters (ml) of Flora Grow, Micro or Bloom formulas that I use in one gallon (US Liquid) of nutrients.

You will notice I dont use any of the Flora Grow formula, do not need to, the Flora "Micro" provides plenty of Nitrogen.

There are two ways to work with this formula:

1. Top off the reservoir daily using a pH corrected water solution as required to maintain full reservoir level. After adding back an amount of water equal to the amount of your reservoir capacity you should change the reservoir and put in fresh solution.

2. Top off the reservoir daily using a pH corrected 100% strength nutrient solution as required to maintain full reservoir level. Continue to use this nutrient solution without dumping the tank unless the PPM rises above acceptable levels.

Between vegetative and flowering cycles you should dump your nutrients, then flush (possibly with Clearex) to remove salt buildups, then change to the other feeding program. Always shake your GH nutrient bottles before using them!

For young plants, just transplanted into the hydro setup, give them 50% strength nutrient mix to prevent overfeeding them while their young. Gradually bring up the mix to full strength as they grow over the next few weeks or so.

The lucas formula is normally intended for use with RO or near 0 PPM water.

NOTE: The Lucas formula eliminates the need for Epsom salts to correct (Magnesium) Mg deficiencies in most normal feeding programs recommended by manufacturers. Cannabis needs a lot of Magnesium to thrive.

The Flora Micro is providing the Nitrogen and the Magnesium in the proper balance, thus there is no need for the Grow formula and little or no room under the maximum acceptable ppm limit of 1600 @ 0.7 conversion.

Calculated EC/TDS levels:

EC microsiemen:
0-4-8: 946 S
0-5-10: 1184 S
0-8-16: 1894 S

TDS @ 0.5 conversion:
0-4-8 = 473 ppm
0-5-10 = 592 ppm
0-8-16 = 947 ppm

TDS @ 0.7 conversion:
0-4-8 = 663 ppm
0-5-10 = 829 ppm
0-8-16 = 1326 ppm

Addback Calculator - (For Advanced Users)

Say you were running the 0-8-16 formula, at 0.7 conversion with a 22 gallon res. When you first fill it up, your ppm will be around 1330.

Now you have been growing for a week, and some of the water has been taken up by the plants, some has evaporated, and now your res is at 947 ppm. You need to get your ppm from 947 to 1330. Here is the equation:

((target - current) / target) * 8 ml per gallon * res gallons = Flora Micro (ml) double this figure to get Flora Bloom (ml)

Example:

((1330 - 947) / 1330) * 8 * 22
(383 / 1330) * 8 * 22
0.3 * 8 * 22 = 53 ml Flora Micro

53 ml Flora Micro, double that and you get 106 ml Flora Bloom. So 53 ml Flora Micro and 106 ml Flora Bloom to add back to your 22 gallon res to get you from 947 to 1330.

Using Hard Water GH Micro

I had been experimenting with using the Hard water Micro as a substitute for the normal Flora Micro, this to account for my hard 350 PPM water and the lack of a large enough RO filter at the time. It has worked well for me. I just kept my reservoir below 1150 PPM @ .5 conversion and its all good.

One tip - do not pH down this stuff, the hard water micro will drop pH gradually over the next 24 hours, for example I mix up a batch, it is at like 6.2, the next day, its at 5.6-5.8 after running in the system for a while. If I pH downed that to 5.7 before putting it in the system, it ended up as low as 4.8-5.2 by the next day.

My conclusion, the hard water micro was buffering the alkaline crud in my water, it just doesnot do it ASAP fast like the phosphoric acid.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 PM

Lothar's recipe for General Hydroponics 3-part nutrient solution designed for interrupted feedings like ebb-n-flow or drip. Values are given in Millilitres per Gallon. (Nice mix of standards, eh?)

You should leach your system between the veg and the flower cycle or your plants may stretch. This is also designed for a 9 week strain so if you have a 7 week strain only go to 5 weeks then leach. Weeks 5-6 and 7 are the same anyways. Weeks 8 and 9 are plain water for clearing.

Veg

Week-----1-----2

Grow----10----12

Bloom----3-----3

Micro----5-----6

Bloom

Week-----1-----2-----3-----4-----5-----6-----7

Grow---2.5-----3-----3-----4-----4-----4-----4

Bloom---10----12----14----16----16----16----16

Micro----6-----6-----7-----8-----8-----8-----8

Ml per Gallon

Old 08-14-2010, 07:05 PM

Last Recipe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seed and clone.JPG (105.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg veg growth.JPG (78.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 123.JPG (90.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (79.4 KB, 12 views)

Old 08-14-2010, 10:36 PM

wow - several different variations to the gh 3 part , im sure its taken trial and error to get it dialed in ? i too have another variation to the gh 3 part , its a higher yielding alternative to cut and dried lucas method... its workin out great

i am gonna start leaving my soup sit over night to see if i get the ph from drifting ------- ala thanks chriscrete

and im curious as to the mg lockout for hydro at 5.9 ,,, probably have to do some searching .