Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Super Soil by Subcool

People are rageing how good this guys mix is thought i would share.

http://www.rollitup.org/subcools-old...uper-soil.html
Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 PM

Nice thread, thanks for sharing.
I read Subcool's soil recipe on another forum back a couple of years ago and have gone back to check it a number of times. I use a plastic kiddie pool to mix up my soil and I don't use exactly the same ingredients, but I probably should.

Shov
Old 11-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Just so you know that isn't his recipe, it's actually Vic High's soil mix that subcool has based his on. It's basically the same recipe with the exception of a few ingredients. It's also very hot and if you don't cut it with straight soil you will burn the shit out of your plants.

It's best to layer the bottom 2 inches with super soil and then fill in the rest with straight soil.

good luck,
sp
Old 11-11-2009, 03:56 AM

Rev's TLO soil is gaining popularity.
He is an editor over at skunk magazine forums.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 AM

It does not take the brians of Stephen Hawkins to create your OWN soil mix! all the same things go into making a good soil.. you just have to try different ratios your self......

Also a soil mix might be top for one plant but to hot or not enough for the next strain you grow.. it's an on gowing process, change with every new strain I try.......
Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
It does not take the brians of Stephen Hawkins to create your OWN soil mix! all the same things go into making a good soil..
Nah, but you gotta have somewhat stronger arms than he does
J/K!!!

Lol, I'm putting together an order of ammendments now. This round will see:
Crabshell (2-3-0 ~2%Mg, ~20%cal)
Kelp (1-0-2)
Rare earth (colloidial clay/leonardite)

I'm adding this to my 'perpetual mix' of ~150-200 gallons of coco/compost based soil. Blue is right, you can build a good soil from a shit ton of different ammendments/ratios. BUT there are certain things that you HAVE to do for a quality organic soil, IMO.

1. Good drainage. This is pretty much ALL that non-pot growing container gardeners worry about with thier potting soil on 'non-weed' garden forums.

2. Humic source. Compost, castings, etc. Acts as the primary Ph buffer, and allows organic nutrients to become available to the plant across a BROAD ph range. Most humic sources also contain live beneficial soil microbes (bacteria/fungi/protozoa/nematodes/etc), AND provide NPK/ca/mg.

3. NPK/Ca/Mg sources. Just cover the bases, and don't put too much in . My soil's base nutes are a 4-3-3-4-1 (n-p-k-ca-mg) organic mix and cottonseed meal (6-2-1) I also like Pguano and Kelp meal for P/K

4. Let it cook. Not stressed enough in the 'create-a-soil' threads/posts, IMO. If the soil doesn't cook, than the nutes are not available to the plant. If the soil cooks with the plants in it, you are begging for problems. 2-3 weeks with 1-2 waters is good, IMO.

5. Know your water. Organic soil is very forgiving for water quality, but if it smells like eggs, or leaves rust deposits in glasses, best to find better water.

After that, it's just playing around to see what you like best. I add different ammendments in my 'perpetual mix' over ~2-3 mo, and I prolly order 2x's a year. So if it's fishies this time, it will be poop (guano/chickenshit/manure) and rocks (r.phosphate/g.sand) the next time.

Having a homemade casting factory and a bubble bukkit is kickass too
Old 12-17-2009, 01:55 PM

like south paw said it is Vic High's mix not really subby's. Subby has renamed it and touts it as his own, but it is Vic's. Many ppl r getting excited cause they follow subby around and do whatever he says. Recently he has been getting a lot of press from ht which has brought his "super soil" front and center to many that would never have heard of it otherwise, but it is truly nothing new.

2b2s

Last edited by 2broke2smoke; 12-17-2009 at 02:10 PM.