Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Lightbulb LED grow lights

hi has anyone used LED grow lights before ?
they claim that a 90watt led produces the same amount of light as a 400 watt hid.they also claim they produce both red and blue spectrums, can this be true??

this link might help http://www.ledgrowlights.com/

hashman

Last edited by hashman; 09-08-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:50 AM

The claims sound good and all but I would do some more investigating if I were you as they can be very expensive and not very well proven. Just my two cents. But hey give them a try and let us all know.

Last edited by slickrambler; 09-09-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:57 AM

Hey there Hashman,

Haven't used these myself yet but I did look into getting some for my next setup. The price is a bit prohibitive now though, so I'll way for it to fall before spending those big bucks.
There's a grow journal on one of the uk grow forums, where I guy uses them to grow cannabis in a tent, can't remember much more than that though.
Maybe someone else will remember it and post the link for ya.
They do make sense though, the spectrum of usable light they produce would be alot better than the light produced by either mh or hps bulbs, once the if the LED's are made correctly.
Plus there's little heat output, which would mean smaller extraction fans and less noise!

http://www.greenfinger-hydroponics.c...icleGroupID=52 sell 2 types of them if your interested, the small ones look really cool!

Peace GG

Last edited by genegenie; 09-09-2009 at 01:04 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 AM

Lightbulb Check Out Other LED Thread In Existance

However If You Are Growing Indoors You Will Still Need To Ventilate 20-30 Times Per Hour , Regardless Of Light Source
JKP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300 Watt Spectra- 300 Watts saved - L.E.D.jpg (48.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Lightbulb

thanks guys im still not sure about buying one i still think the technolgy need to be proven more before i cough up the cash .
iwas doing some more reasearch on the web and they are very few ppl using them to grow..if they where such a wonder product(As manufactures claim) i would have thought most grower would switch to them instead of using hps/clf etc, which dosent seems to be the case..

plus the growth of plants in the pics on the link i posted dosn't look to healthy to me, a bit stressed even like the plant are searching for light but im no expert

Hashman
Old 09-09-2009, 10:42 AM

You can't really expect everyone to throw out their old lights to replace these yet hashman, like all new technology, it's too expensive when it first comes out, but the LED'S probably do have a future in growing.
HPS and MH bulbs are not the most efficient sources of light for plants and will eventually be replaced by better technology like CMH bulbs and sulpher plasma lighting.

We've seen over the last few years how cfl's have crept onto the scene and I think the same thing will happen with LED's over time.

Peace GG

Last edited by genegenie; 09-09-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: tpyo
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegenie View Post
You can't really expect everyone to throw out their old lights to replace these yet hashman, like all new technology, it's too expensive when it first comes out, but the LED'S probably do have a future in growing.
HPS and MH bulbs are not the most efficient sources of light for plants and will eventually be replaced by better technology like CMH bulbs and sulpher plasma lighting.

We've seen over the last few years how cfl's have crept onto the scene and I think the same thing will happen with LED's over time.

Peace GG

very true gg i wouldnt expect them to i just yet they might well be the future but i guess like all new technolgy it will take time to get all bugs worked out and need a bigger demand to get the price down

it might be good to see some grow reports/pics on here of anyone who has used them ??

HM
Old 09-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Lightbulb Bang On Reply , IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegenie View Post

Peace GG
I Have To Agree With Everything You Have Said genegenie .
I Recall The Much Hyped UFO LED Light As Advertised By Treating Yourself Magazine .
It Was Supposed To Retail For Over $700.00 CAD
I Can Now Buy A UFO ( Not That I Would Chose These Glorified Smoke Detector Lookalikes ) In The U.K For 120.00
The Image I Have Shown Above Is A 300 Watt System That Performs As Well As A 600 Watt HID . It Is The LED System I Would Chose ATM
Saving 300 Watts Per Kilowatt Hour Over 12-18 Hours Certainly Adds Up To Halving Your Power Bills
So Initial Outlay Is More , But Once It Has Paid For Itself You Can Realise Future Harvests For Half ( Or Less ) Of What It Cost Using H.I.D Lamps
So, I Consider Them A Investment
CFL's ; Enviromentally Unfriendly , Heat Issues , And Worst of All They Cannot Be Measured In PAR
They Cannot Be Fixed , And The mercury Levels In Say The Big 300 watt nurturelight Must Be High.
Sulpher Plasma ; I Remember Them Firing Up This LG Unit On The Stall I Was Helping Out On @ The 2007 UK Expo
For Such A Tiny Bulb They Sure Pump Out The Lumens ( You Chose The Wattage You Desire (70-1400) )
http://www.lifelighttec.com A American Company Was Using Them Up Until Last Year With Their Spinners And Side Lights, But Has Switched Back To H.I.D For Some Unknown Reason.
Heres The Sulpher Plasma Link For Your Digression; http://www.plasma-international.com

Also Included Are Some Graphs And Prototypes ( Including The MUCH HYPED U.F.O )

JKP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lamp-170- Sulpher Plasma.jpg (4.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg kk_led-it-grow.jpg (11.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg LED Replaces 400 Watt HID- 650 bucks.jpg (19.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg LED V HID.jpg (28.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg LED Wavelength.jpg (18.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Procyon_sm-548x408-100 Watt LED.jpg (20.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg spectrum-HID-LED.jpg (99.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg LED Clone Light- Revegged Cheese - New Clone.jpg (305.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg LED-UV-5mm-SB.jpg (13.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-09-2009, 01:43 PM

thanks for the info jkp it makes for some intresting reading the plasma is somthing i never heard about but from what its say on the links you posted it a very simallar spectrum to good old sunlight

do you guys think any led would work as the color is only changed but the semiconducters ??
if so led strip lghts can be brought for a fraction of the cost of the grow lights
might be worth thinking about..could work for veg maybe where lower watts and blue spectrum can be used

hasman

Last edited by hashman; 09-09-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 PM

If your good with making stuff like that you could save yourself some big bucks Hashman.
All the components for a LED lighting system are available real cheap online, it's just about being able to put one together with the required light spectrum.

icmag has a few led grows on it forums-i'm allowed say that ain't I?
peace gg