Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 11:30 PM
jaybutta

Default Silver Lining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhandle View Post
I did sound my frustration to Shantibaba and he immediately offered to replace the beans. Well, that will probably be all the karma I need to get some nice bud from the rest of my seeds. So, I I'll try the remaining seeds sometime and I expect to have better luck. Meanwhile, I'll continue my grow log of these five females.
I would guess that one of those males is KILLER...select the best one out of the group, and save him...if you can't, I understand...if you can, awesome...jay
Old 11-08-2009, 11:07 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegenie View Post
A stat man having a bit of a meltdown?

Just kidding, but if it can happen it probably will and just because it's statistically unlikely, dosen't mean shit!!!
Peace GG
Actually, statistically speaking, of course, it CAN happen but PROBABLY won't...

Let's say that the average grow is about 10 weeks (presuming a veg and flower garden in perpetuity.) That gives a maximum no of grows per year at 5. Given this, the discussed outcome would happen just once in 400 years (that's FOUR HUNDRED YEARS) of continuous growing....

To put it another way:

If we presume that a useful growing life is between the ages of 16 and, for arguments sake, 76 then that's 60 good years of growing per lifetime. That means that 7 people could grow continuously for all their lives and that would happen only once.... You still with me?

It IS possible but, as you can see, it's VERY unlikely.
When something that so unlikely happens it would be foolish not to ask : Why?

GS

PS: as you can see, to some sad bastards, like me, statistics DO mean shit. They help us understand and predict things - like how many times a trait will show up in an F1 cross of two true-breeding marijuana strains and other very important things like that....
Old 11-08-2009, 02:34 PM

Default I almost feel LUCKY!

...making odds like that. <G>

Anyway, the five females will probably be done in 7-8 weeks. I set the timer to 12/12 and saved one NH male to chuck a little pollen on a couple of branches. You never know what can happen. When I get back from my trip, in a couple of weeks I think that I'll germinate the rest of the pack of NH and let them grow with the flowering females.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Hey Grover,
I do appreciate that stats have a part to play in life,Mendel's law etc like you mentioned, but my point is just because stats say something is unlikely to happen, like once in every 400 years, dosen't mean it won't happen to you twice in a row, even 3 times in a row, shit happens!!
There are so many freaky occurences happening naturally everyday on this planet, that constantly throw the stats on their head, stats are a good guideline but they're not facts till after the occurence.

Although as you said, they are a good indicator that something wrong might be happening, but maybe it's just bad 'luck' he got all males and hopefully the rest of his seeds will be girls, if that's the case, then it could all be due to bad 'luck' when he selected the first seeds from the pack.

Peace GG
Old 11-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Hey GG - I totally agree with you, just having a little fun with statistics.

I bet you never thought you'd see the words 'fun' and 'statistics' in the same sentence!

Happy Growing
Old 11-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Default Week Four, After the Darkness

OK, were not growing Neville's Haze any more but I did pollenate a little with the male...

Well, I had to go away for five days and have a house sitter to care for our pets. Only the wife and I know about the grow, so I have no one to care for the plants. So I watered them and left them hidden in the dark. When we returned home I put the lights and fan on immediately. The next day I transplanted the plants, each in 3 gallon bags into 5 gallon pails, BOG style, fed and watered them in. They are now in their fourth week of bloom and are looking fine. I'll get some photos later.

Shov
Old 11-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Week Four Bloom

G13 x NCDG

Three Indica Z11

Shov
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G13 x NCDG.JPG (260.4 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Indica Z11 A.JPG (255.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Indica Z11 B.JPG (254.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Indica Z11 C.JPG (276.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Sativa Z11.JPG (264.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Bloom Week 4.JPG (253.0 KB, 199 views)
Old 11-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Default More...

One Sativa Z11

All Together

Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 PM

Default A few shitty snapshots

I can't get good close-ups for the life of me... These are at Day 31.

G13 x NCDG

Z11 (under the HPS)

Shov
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G13.JPG (334.0 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg G13a.JPG (532.3 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg G13b.JPG (164.6 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Z11.JPG (224.3 KB, 186 views)
Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM

Location: Fuck Gov't conspriacies and those that want to try to make a big deal of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover Sativa View Post
PS: as you can see, to some sad bastards, like me, statistics DO mean shit. They help us understand and predict things - like how many times a trait will show up in an F1 cross of two true-breeding marijuana strains and other very important things like that....
This could not be more true. Some of us, myself included keep very detailed logs of our grows and the specific phenotypes and characteristics which develop during a grow of any specific strain. Referring to some of the statistics we keep, it gives us insight not only on specific phenotype occurrences, but also different feeding regimes, watering, how a plant develops. These are very helpful for those which are passionate and serious about growing and even more so in breeding.

I have grown several landrace Thai varieties, some crave water like no tomorrow, others are more sensitive to nutes than others, etc...

I for one keep very good records of my grows and am even more detailed in these logs when breeding. I keep detailed statistics like feeding, watering, etc... and it has shown to be very helpful to me.

As for your grow Shovelhandle, very impressive and I love seeing a great plant. Happy & healthy plants produce flowers which make us happy