Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 04:07 AM

Default water logged rockwool.

Hey all, gotta little trouble here. Need some advice.

Ok, I am in the first 2 weeks of a chronic strain grow (13 days) second time I've flowered clones from this plant, and it is undoubtedly the most lethargic plant I have ever dealt with. Frankly, I doubt if its really CHR but the BCSeed bank sold them as such and the only reason I am flowering it a 2nd is my room must stay busy and while waiting for better beans I am stuck with these.
Now, normally I use rockwool for my mamas only but the previous grow in my normal medium with this plant was so bad I didnt want to tie up my system with this crap, and the pots with rockwool (croutons) are very mobile and I thought the added buffer of the RW as opossed to the rock in my flood and drain system would be better for this plant. Well thing is the roots just will not develop on these suckers and the pots they are in are 2 big and even a short watering takes days to dry out. They also dont much care for light and have an apparent aversion to nutes as well. I have 2000w very well cooled Hortilux HPS in room at present to cover the spread and I have to keep them backed off over 3 feet or they stress and start yellowing hard in the registers between the veins of the big food leafs and soon the chloritic leaves die. These havnt gotten that bad yet.....but its beginning, and I just can't get them to accept nutes or hardly any water for that matter.Purely hideous genetics.
Here's my question. What would you do....
Would you transplant them down into smaller pots? (these arent that big I think considered 1 or 2 gallon nursey pots) would you just water them enough for a day at a time....theyll only use maybe a pint of water apiece at most and without the freaquent leaching I am afraid the rockwool will become toxic from the buildup, or would you give em a good dowsing and wait 3 or 4 days to water again? or what would you do?
I am used to 1/4 pound + plants and these suckers been giving me an ounce of not very good grade (is chronic supposed to smell like pepper?) and instead of the joy my garden has brought me all these years, its pure sadness and frustration these days. Not sure what to do, but this is DEFINATELY the last flowers from this one...especially since mommys flowering now 2.
If anyone has any wisdom on this please...lay it on me. This shits making me ill!
I lurk around the forums here almost daily and there are some fine growers here with far more knowledge then I. I usually just find a big fat fast strong tasty mom and grow the shit out of her till I tire of it then find another.

What would you do?

JP.

Ps. By the way the mother that I grew from seed was the only female from 3 of 12 that split. The mother, while no speed demon was not as lethargic as her cuttings, and at 4 months she has a 2 gallon bucket full of roots and seems to be doing much better then her cuttings. Has anyone ever encountered a plant that grew ok from seed but her cuttings were lethargic and sickly?

Last edited by Jack Pullo; 05-01-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 AM

Also I should say they vegged for A MONTH and were only transplanted into larger pots 2 days before they went to 12 12. Could probably get away with downsizing pots still, but I don't know if it'll be worth the trouble.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:46 AM

rockwool

its not easy to grow in, almost every grow iv seen on the net growers have problems with it.

did you pre treat the rockwool?
what system is it in?
what is the PH your using? and whats the run off of the block reading?
is the block always wet?

they say rockwool cant be over watered, yes it can iv done it my self thats where iv had problems using rockwool in the past plants sit in sodden wool.

if you have any photos please post.
These plants are sacramental and protected by international law under The European Convention on Human Rights. Article 9 The United Nations Declaration of Human Rights. Article 18,"Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion As an officer of the law you have a duty to uphold my human rights
Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 AM

Hello Mr Green! Was hoping I might here from you on this.

Yes I did pre treat the RW, soaked a few hours in 5.5 water from my well.

Not in a system, just in pots. I did mix in about 1/4 hydroton to give it a little better drainage.

I've run them between 5.6 and 6.1 but it doesnt seem to matter. I'm using the little growdan cubes, size of salad croutons...as for the runoff I hav'nt really forced much runoff, basically just been trying to not get them too soaked. But... The previous crop was in (my normal medium) 2 gallon buckets (hydroten rock) plumbed to a 30 gallon Resevoir. Flood and drain. Now, I had a huge prob with the ph with that crop. I like to run around 5.6 - 5.8 and the res would start the evening at lets say 5.6 and in a night ... 3 waterings, it would shoot up to 6.4 or even higher. I was adding so much acid every day to get the PH down I knew it couldn't be good, another reason I decided to try the rockwool this time and not recirculate. Hasn't helped, and I agree. Rockwool is difficult but I figured I could get it dialed in. Also I have been using several advanced nutrients products, and while I have had some great results, I find "AN" products...especially the combination of big bud and carbo load, play hell on PH and make it hard to keep it down. I use GH 3 part cause I love the control I have with the 3part as opposed to 2 part ferts.

My cameras broken but I need a new digi anyway, so I'll get one and post some pics in a couple days. Lights just went on and they are looking more yellow then yesterday. Oh, Ive done more foliar feeding with these as well, in vain. I have also suspended co2 for now. They cant handle much light let alone co2. They are getting plenty of air cuirculation and ventilation. I have all the toys. For all the good they do me with this one. Sheesh.

JP.

Last edited by Jack Pullo; 05-01-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pullo View Post
Hello Mr Green! Was hoping I might here from you on this.

Yes I did pre treat the RW, soaked a few hours in 5.5 water from my well.

Not in a system, just in pots. I did mix in about 1/4 hydroton to give it a little better drainage.

I've run them between 5.6 and 6.1 but it doesnt seem to matter. I'm using the little growdan cubes, size of salad croutons...as for the runoff I hav'nt really forced much runoff, basically just been trying to not get them too soaked. But... The previous crop was in (my normal medium) 2 gallon buckets (hydroten rock) plumbed to a 30 gallon Resevoir. Flood and drain. Now, I had a huge prob with the ph with that crop. I like to run around 5.6 - 5.8 and the res would start the evening at lets say 5.6 and in a night ... 3 waterings, it would shoot up to 6.4 or even higher. I was adding so much acid every day to get the PH down I knew it couldn't be good, another reason I decided to try the rockwool this time and not recirculate. Hasn't helped, and I agree. Rockwool is difficult but I figured I could get it dialed in. Also I have been using several advanced nutrients products, and while I have had some great results, I find "AN" products...especially the combination of big bud and carbo load, play hell on PH and make it hard to keep it down. I use GH 3 part cause I love the control I have with the 3part as opposed to 2 part ferts.

My cameras broken but I need a new digi anyway, so I'll get one and post some pics in a couple days. Lights just went on and they are looking more yellow then yesterday. Oh, Ive done more foliar feeding with these as well, in vain. I have also suspended co2 for now. They cant handle much light let alone co2. They are getting plenty of air cuirculation and ventilation. I have all the toys. For all the good they do me with this one. Sheesh.

JP.
hard to say m8 without photos? you say they are yellowing? thats a sign of not enough nitrogen. how big are these plants and what PPM/EC are you using to feed them with? are the leaf drooping down?< over water> looks like a plant wilted from not enough water.

all i can think of is your PH may be it is out of wack? and your over watering. take the pots swing them to get as much water out of them as you can after 2-3 days if the roots have not rotted they will pick up.

can you see any roots? are they white or brown?
These plants are sacramental and protected by international law under The European Convention on Human Rights. Article 9 The United Nations Declaration of Human Rights. Article 18,"Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion As an officer of the law you have a duty to uphold my human rights
Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 AM

Well see that's the funny thing. They don't seem....or look over watered at all. Other then the yellowing they look pretty healthy. Leaves aren't drooping or curled asunder at all. Also no sign of over fert either. When they first went to flower I kept the ppm low....around 1000. As soon as they hit the HPS they started getting pale, but that happens anyway. So I up'd the ppm to about 1300 and started doing some foliar with nytrozyme. I learned long ago that too much love is as bad or worse then too little. They are very small due to vegging under halides (and poor root growth, general lack of vigor) perhaps 15" to 18" but the nodes are soooo close, but the branches small. I just want to be done with this one. I think I'll let them dry out tonight and leach them with pure water and hygrozyme 2morrow, give them a foliar and see what happens next couple days. Maybe up the ppm a little but I don't know. Maybe some lock out going on.

I'll post some pics later....no matter what I'd like to figure out what I'm not doing that they need, or visa versa, but I tell ya, I have some "CM" and some "SHIT" on order and I'll be doing a journal on both soon. Those are the types of plants I've grown and done very well with over the years. But I can't wait to grow out some of SB's Genetics. I CAN HARDLY WAIT.
But wait I must!

JP
Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 AM

Lightbulb

" Grasp Rockwool Block And Rather Than Squeeze Excess Moisture Out , Instead , Give It A Good Single Shake ( Pretend You Are Doing A Pete Townsend " Windmill " , This Will Remove All Excess Water
JKP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr Nice Shit 1- Every Plant A Female Thus Far.jpg (405.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Hum Shit Aug8.jpg (433.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Mr Nice Shit- Modified Bottom-Day19 Fkower.jpg (432.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Mr Nice Shit- Firm- August8.jpg (499.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Joe King Park; 05-01-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Image Of Shit For Inspirational Purposes
Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 AM

Thumbs down

I know what it is.

I hadn't thought about reading runoff from the pots. Well, there really wasn't any, and that was the problem.

By not wanting them to go 3, even 4 days between watering I was using just enough to get them through the night. Little to no runoff. When I did force runoff ppm pegged my meter. Meter goes to 1999 ppm. No leaching meant buildup. Buildup meant lockout. Ph of runoff was 6.1. No prob there.

Last edited by Jack Pullo; 05-03-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Default hope all is well?

so sad to here you are having probs......

what did you root them under? I usually use a 110w prop light set to 24/0 and spray evryday once with jumpstart.......roots are usually there in 7 to 10 days. Then rooted clones I woouldn't give them more then 300-400 ppm

how long they been in veg? and that 2k hps I think is OVERKILL BIG TIME! I been using a 250w MH in budbox 1.2x1.2x1.8 and its been enough for that space.......

Also, pot size is def a thing worth noting......I always start with a small pot and repot to next size up when roots are exploding from the bottom.....plants love that shit!

hope they come round.......and put a smile on your face!

Peace

OG
Old 05-03-2009, 09:02 PM

Hey OG,

You misunderstand. They are over 6 weeks old and the 2k is just enough to cover the spread of these and some others I have finishing up this week. They rooted under T5's, vegged under a 600W MH conversion bulb, then first week of flowering they all huddled under 1000W hortilux blue and finally the horti HPS. They were fine until 2nd week of flowering. As for pot size I transplanted into these pots 2 days before flowering began, so as not to have to transplant again mid flowering.

I fucked up, but honestly this ones been a pain in my ass from the beginning and I don't care anymore. Just wana get it over with.

On the bright side, I just presoaked 10 CM seeds and they all had taps in 12 hrs, so I planted them. This I am excited about! I feel a journal coming....

Thanks JP