Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2020, 03:30 PM

Default MNS strain most similar to Jack Herer?

Are there any MNS strains that people have found phenotypes that are similar to the skunky/good pheno of Jack herer? Doing some googling i found that NHS may have the greatest potential to have some similarities. This is one of my favorites and not trying to drop 163 euro via sensi...

Happy growing

kbonsai
Old 02-19-2020, 06:55 PM

https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/4-talk-s...ack-herer.html

Just spent a good amount of time reading this and it seems that SSH and Mango Haze would be my best bet in the hunt for JH as these lines have the most similar pedigree. After reading this I feel slightly more informed and slightly more confused!

I remember the version of jack/phenotype that I favored having giant calyxes, red hairs and skunk was the major quality of the nose. If it had any lemon it was outshined by the skunkyness. Boarderline roadkill skunk; the type of herb where a gram stinks up the whole room! It looked similar to the Jaggen cut.

Lines (from what I've gathered) that are most likely to have similarities: Mango haze, super silver haze, Nevilles skunk, Skunk haze, NL5xHaze.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:33 PM

Super Silver Haze has the same parentage as Jack Herer. Though I like Jack better. I grew a sativa pheno of Jack Herer from a local cut last year.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:43 PM

Based on what I read online and all the jack I have seen since like ~2005-2007; most of the jack out there is the lemony/pine sol variation....that sativa leaning pheno sounds closer to what I'm looking for. It's a shame when great genetics are lost because most people prefer shorter flowering varieties to cash in...although I don't totally blame them.

Here's an excerpt from sensi seeds and a link to the picture the text mentions.

"The buds of pheno-A take the form of long strings of inflated, highly resinous calyxes, very much like the Jack Herer pictured in the Sensi catalogue (SEE LINK BELOW). If potency is the main aim, growers should select this phenotype, which can be reliably identified by its oversized calyxes."

The picture below the "Phenotype A" text matches almost exactly to what I remember...although most likely somewhat distorted ...

https://sensiseeds.com/blog/wp-conte...ds-768x768.jpg

Although I don't see the greatest reviews of sensi seeds' version and its also like 170 euro....people say sannie's version is better but smoke reports of that did not seem to match up.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:59 PM

Did the cutting that you grew look anything like this picture from sensi seeds and have some skunkyness to it? Any description as to the smell/look of the clone you had?
Old 02-21-2020, 05:11 PM

SSH and mango haze seem like they should be close to JH by pedigree.

if you have grown them, you will see that they are very different, very distinct from each other.

good luck on your quest, id recommend searching through JH related seeds rather than trying to find it in mns seeds.

i would also be interested to hear if anyone has the opposite experience as Big Sur,
in that they think SSH is better than Jack Herer?

seems like a better skunk haze male selection is needed...
Old 02-21-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbonsai View Post
Did the cutting that you grew look anything like this picture from sensi seeds and have some skunkyness to it? Any description as to the smell/look of the clone you had?
No, the JH here was more of a skinny leaf sativa with skinny calyxes. I am nose blind to smelling weed here now, as my back room is full of bags cool curing buds from last year. I will have to go to my brother's place and stick my head into a half pound of JH that he grew to tell you what they smell like.

Curing methods and grow locations make more of a difference in terpene profiles though. I live in the foothills of the cascades at elevation and I have a cooler climate than my brother on the valley floor. He has an average of 5 degrees higher day and night temps than I do. So even at the same latitude with similar soils, the exact same clones grow and smell different when growing and after harvesting.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwback View Post
i would also be interested to hear if anyone has the opposite experience as Big Sur,
in that they think SSH is better than Jack Herer?

seems like a better skunk haze male selection is needed...
My growing these two lines is limited to local cuts of JH, and a really wide spectrum of SSH. SSH is by far more common here, and there are breeders going mad over SSH in Southern California lately where I have a smattering of SSH seeds from. The last SSH that I grew was middle of the road weed. But I look for unusual and different strains, and I grow and breed mostly landrace sativas IBL here which have far less variation among them than do these modern mutt hybrids. I also prefer clear sativa highs to couch lock stones. So I am biased in that regard.

Last edited by Big Sur; 02-21-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:08 PM

Everything is going to depend on what you are aiming for. Is the Jack you are searching for from a selected clone, or one of a bunch in a random grow? You mentioned skunky, the best SSH that I have smoked wasn't skunky at all. We may be talking about completely different representations .

I've never knowingly smoked or vaped Jack Herer. I have had sublime SSH and Mango Haze.

I am currently growing my first legitimate SSH F1s. I am guessing that there are some plant that have some resemblance terpene wise to JH. But that is a guess.

I don't imagine that Mango is similar in flavor, as that X is very consistent in the flavor and quality aspect, though I did find different growth patterns With a nice range of effects. Not a bad plant in any I have seen.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:58 PM

NHS and SSH should be the more proach to JH