Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 07:20 PM

Never used honey when feeding plants before but it may be useful as an anti bacterial / fungus. Honey has been used for cloning since forever around this part of the world, my grandmother told me about using it in the greenhouses as a kid, not for it's hormones but for it's anti bacterial/fungus properties.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:45 PM

I'm just going to put this out there. There is no need to use anything for cloning other than clean tools and water. I do think that pH makes a big difference. I personally shoot for a water pH of between 5.2 and 5.8. I have probably an 80% success rate and I use the cheapest fluorescent lights available for cloning. No need for intense lighting for cloning IME.

Honey in hydro seems likely to cause flow problems. Molasses... I was going to mention earlier. It's a great garden tool. It feeds and chelates.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:12 PM

Hey Mu, thanks for the data drop. It's hard to look past molasses for irrigating.
It's true PMB that you don't need too much light to strike cuts, and you don't need rooting gel.
The plants make their own hormone after being cut. That's why some strain will strike easily, without gel, and some won't strike at all, whatever you do.
It's the plants natural ability to make rooting hormone.
People use aloe vera gel, to plug the stem so they don't get an embolism.
Honey plugs the stem so air won't enter.
As Dkeppel says, the honey is more about an antiseptic to protect the cutting.

Last edited by Vlad the Inhaler; 02-11-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi View Post
If you think about it, rooting gels contain auxins, which are the hormones that stimulate plant growth. Honey contains none .

Shaka
Mu

Agreed musashi, as Dkeppel says, I think he favors it more for the anti bacterial properties. He's also a tight arse so it's maybe cheaper using honey

Yes no reason why it couldn't be used to root clones into rockwool for hydro. In my circumstances I get pretty much 100% success using veg nutrients and like to keep things as simple as possible. Starting some soil plants soon though, definitely going to give it a try and do some reading up on molasses