Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 AM
SativaFan

Aktarus

This top photo is perhaps a good illustration of how one might select between two plants. Here are #12 and #14 side by side. Remember, I treat all plants the same. Each seed planted same depth, etc. #12 sprouted maybe 2-3 hours before #14. After just nine days look at how much bigger #12 is! All else being equal...which plant would select if you had to do it today?

Now...the fallacy of this criteria as good as it may seem...is this IMO.

in a month #14 might be a super plant and #12 might die. Who knows. That's the problem when selecting from small numbers of plants. If you have a 100 plants, or better a 1000...it's much easier to pick some real "standout" plants. Does this make sense?

So when you grow small numbers of plants, like most of us do, selection is a difficult process. I DO like plants that show early vigor like #12. I also like good, stout, strong, healthy stems . Too early to judge stems on these plants IMO.

And everyone here, my friends anyway, KNOW I like big healthy leaves. I'm convinced beyond all doubt that those big fan leaves are important indicators of the plant's overall health. The plants buds are what get the most press, but for me....those big fan leaves are where the action really is for me.

Here are 2 views of the same plant. This one has considerable "leaf twist" in it. It won't be disqualified because of that trait. We'll see how it does.

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-05-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 AM
SativaFan

Here is where I would really like some comment/help from folks who grow the various haze hybrids.

Look at the leaf serrations on these two plants. The serrations on the right hand plant look more pointed/jagged than the left hand plant...or not? And if I'm correct, what does this mean, if anything?

Artarus, If the serrations show a desirable trait e.g. a very hazey phenotype.... I may want to select for that trait. Does that make sense to you? everyone?

Thanks guys

SativaFan

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-05-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:39 AM
barletta

Yo holmes, no idea bout the serrations on the leaf edges. Actually it means that you wish they were bigger to see the 'functional' differences between the plants The gnarliest serrations that I've personally seen were on the stretchiest, sloppiest G/Sk, and on the ssh that I killed (possible virus).

I think it's really cool that you keep track of who broke the dirt when. I did that a few times in my grows, but only cause I had no bud, and being with the plants helped...

Enjoy the temporary lead in plant size, my friend. I have re-potted out of the starter flat, and dropped the MH down ~4" on top of em
Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 AM

Hi SF i hope you are right saying the serrated /pointed/jagged look tend to show the hazyness , i believe that too
What height do you keep your neons at BTW?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktarus View Post
Hi SF i hope you are right saying the serrated /pointed/jagged look tend to show the hazyness , i believe that too
Hi all

aktarus

SF didn't say that this trait is linked to Hazy dominant plants. He wrote if it did , he might want to select for this trait. Now to be honest I m not so sure if this trait is linked to the haze genetics as the Hazy plants I 've grown n seen from others didn't express it in an exaggerated fasion at least compared to many other strains I 've seen.
Though I may be wrong about this so it would be nice to hear more views about this from other Haze growers
Old 02-05-2009, 03:55 AM
SativaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktarus View Post
Arktarus

I'm sorry. I shouyld have made what I said more clear. L33t is correct. I was just using that as a "hypothetical" example of selection. I don't know if the more serrated leaves mean anything at all. I just meant it was a way to "select" among many plants. Sorry.

Those are 48" T-8 Fluorescent light bulbs. I believe 32watts per bulb. The fixture has a light "diffuser" that is made up of many very small "pyramids". The diffuser makes a fairly "even", uniform, flux density over the entire 16"x48" shelf.
And since the light is fluorescent(cool, very little heat), uniform, and diffused...I can let the plants actually touch the lucite diffuser. It's not hot at all and I have no fan on it. However, I don't actually let them touch it. The best light IMO on this fixture is actually out about 1-2"(2-5cm) from the diffuser. So I keep the plant tops about 2-5cm from the diffuser at this point.

As they grow larger I raise the light more for a more even light distribution over the plant. Maybe 10cm from plant tops. We'll see as this grow goes. I forget actually LOL!!

My plants in the past have stayed under these lights for up to 6 weeks vegging. Last two grows they vegged under these lights for about 30 days. At that point, they were about 16"(40cm) tall . However they had been topped and pruned quite a bit...plus the stem buried during transplant as I went up in pot size during vegging.

Hope this helps

SativaFan
Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 AM
SativaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33t View Post
Hi all

aktarus

SF didn't say that this trait is linked to Hazy dominant plants. He wrote if it did , he might want to select for this trait. Now to be honest I m not so sure if this trait is linked to the haze genetics as the Hazy plants I 've grown n seen from others didn't express it in an exaggerated fasion at least compared to many other strains I 've seen.
Though I may be wrong about this so it would be nice to hear more views about this from other Haze growers
Hey L33t!!

Thanks for commenting!

Yeah I meant that as a hypothetical example.

I have heard that rumor on and off since I've been around . mostly on ICMAG about what serrated leaves mean, if anything.

The leaves are also somewhat different in shape too.

BUT BUT BUT..these plants are only 9 days old. WAY too early to really say much at all.

I was really just trying to show new folks that you can start seeing variation very early sometimes. What the variations actually mean is pretty much just conjecture at this point in a grow.

BUT BUT again

OVER TIME one sometimes learns what to look for if growing the same strain over and over again...sorta what I'm doing.

Ya think?

SativaFan
Old 02-05-2009, 04:59 AM

Hey SF

Yep growing same strain over n over again n you start to get a feeling about how the genetics express themselves . What you are growing now is not SSH f1 and in the ssh x ssh population you'll see a wider expression , more variation and there's less predictability . If you were growing f1s it would be much easier to connect the dots between different traits . But thats not to say that you can't find great plants , it 'll just take higher selection numbers to find plants that fit the criteria of the breeder.

Heres a good post from leadplant I read few days ago thats quite relevant (posted over another canna site)

-''can someone explain in an easy to understand way mendelian dynamics? i've been reading and reading for days and getting more and more confused''

-
this chart sums it up.
dominant genes express themselves even if just one parent passes it. (cap letters)
recessive genes express themselves only if both sides pass it. (small letters)
B=brown coat (dom) b=white coat (rec)
S=short tail (dom) s=long tail (rec)
in the f1 gen, alot of dom genes get to express which is what hybrid vigor is all about. In the F2 gen, some recessive genes get a chance to express thus producing more variation than the f1 gen.
Attached Images
File Type: png Dihybrid_cross.png (114.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 AM

its not a great sign for a "budding" gardener is it - I really couldnt get my head around the version with the purple and green plants on it - cats is easy though.

many thanks for that
Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I really couldnt get my head around the version with the purple and green plants on it - cats is easy though.

many thanks for that
Hey j

yep the cat version makes for it easier to grasp