Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 PM
SativaFan

hehehehehe

I always have water bubbling. Never know when I may need water for something.

Now have 16 seedlings.

SativaFan
Old 01-28-2009, 03:02 AM
SativaFan

I have 16 sprouts but one in the 2nd pic is a goner IMO. Arrow points to it. 15 of them are doing just fine.

Arrows in 1st pic is for the two as yet sprouted seeds. Nothing to lose waiting a bit.

They are under 18/6 lighting provided by 4 four foot 32watt T-8 fluorescent tubes.

SativaFan

Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 AM
SativaFan

This is how I water my plants at this stage. I use a spray bottle show in the prior post. The water is from that bucket you see in the picture. Water bubbles 24/7. Nothing added to the bubbled tap water.

I adjust the spray nozzle to make a sort of "medium" spray. Not fine, not a "stream". You can see the area covered in the second picture if you look closely, maybe at the full size picture. I spray "around the plant". I do not get any water on the leaves or stem....or I try At this stage, all I want to do is wet the top 1/4 to 1/2" of soil. The plants have no root system to speak of. The lights are not "hot". Therefore the soil in those 3 1/2" square pots doesn't dry outvery fast at all. Roots need AIR spaces in the soil to get going initially. So I really want to be careful to NOT overwater them at this stage.

SativaFan

Last edited by SativaFan; 01-28-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:19 AM

Hey SF

your little ones are looking good

btw this is how I water the seedlings too the first week or two. I was wondering do you spray with water the leaves in veg/early stages?

Wish you all the best with them!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:23 AM
SativaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33t View Post
Hey SF

your little ones are looking good

Thank you my friend!!

I hope they continue to look good. I'm all about happy plants that look good. Usually a sign of good health...which is the ultimate goal of my grows. I haven't gotten "there" yet...there being what I would consider a flawless, or near flawless grow Don't ask me what flawless means LOL!! I just want to have better plants with each new grow.....but I'm closing in on "perfect", whatever it might mean....every grow. I love growing these plants.

btw this is how I water the seedlings too the first week or two. I was wondering do you spray with water the leaves in veg/early stages?

Yes, I think this is a safe way to water early on. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially folks who have never grown plants from seed.

The stuff they sell for "seed starter" soils in the states is basically peat moss ground up fine with a bit of perlite. It's a very sort of "soft, fluffy" texture. If one "pours" water, even carefully, one risks uprooting a tiny seedling more easily than one might think.

Spraying water as we do is a much better method. Easier to control how much and where your water goes.

My soil mix is quite different in texture from commercial "seed starter" mix. I could probably get away with pouring water in slowly with a small cup, but why risk it?

And No, I haven't sprayed leaves during early veg in the past. I may try it this grow. After reading "Teaming With Microbes" I see the value of spraying leaves with various sorts of teas. As long as I've been growing things, I never realized just how plants leaves functioned. There is a LOT going on...on the surface of a leaf. The right teas enhance or stimulate this activity. I find the whole subject utterly fascinating. Can you tell I'm whacked right now?

Wish you all the best with them!
Thanks my friend. Means a lot.

SativaFan
Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 AM
SativaFan

Oh I forgot to say.

My seed germination success.

It turned out there were 38 seeds in the wet towels. 34 ultimately cracked and made viable tap roots.

That works out to 89%. Not too bad.

My seeds are now about 9 months old. I've kept them in ziplock bags inside a cardboard box under my bed. Temps under my bed stay year round in the 60'sF(18-20C) and it's fairlydry RH~25-40%.

I'll probably store some in the frig soon.

SativaFan
Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 PM

hope you don't mind - I'll be following the watering outline to the letter

p.s I think knowing the environmental conditions of under your bed is a little bit scary

(so far with seeds I'm 2 for 2 = 100% ..lol ask me again in afew months .. )
Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 AM
SativaFan

Regarding following my advice

There's probably a lesson somewhere in this post

I'm losing #9 to "damping off" a fungal disease which rots the seedling stem right at the soil line. Nearly always caused by overwatering or VERY high humidity(NOT the case here.RH in this room is in the 30's)

Soooo. maybe this particular soilmix, while good for larger plants, is too "heavy" in texture for these seedlings, or that one anyway.

SativaFan

Check the stem between the red lines. The fungus rots the stem right at the soil line.

Last edited by SativaFan; 01-30-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:39 PM

my little one has a red stem that is green in the area you have indicated above...should I be concerened?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 AM
SativaFan

Here's pics of my current grow of my SSH x SSH. They are 8 days old here. All but the unlabeled plant in the next post came up on Jan 25th. So they are essentially all the same age.

You'll see that some have that funny "kink" in the first set of leaves. That will be there forever...or have in the past.

They have got only water(from the "bubbling" bucket you see in the photos). They won't need any nutes for a long time.

They will stay in these pots until they have a well established root ball. Then I can transplant to next size pot and innoculate them with mycorhizzal fungi.

The ball point pen with blue tape is my combination "depth gauge" and "seed planting tool" The white portion is how deep I planted my seeds, ~1.5 cm

Each set of pics is the same group of plants, just slightly different view. 8 days old in this pic

SativaFan

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-03-2009 at 06:09 AM.