Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SativaFan View Post

I also got inside my "hut" and zipped it up from the inside. NO light leaks at all except where the zippers come together. Those two leaks are taken care of when the outside flaps are closed with added velcro. I was thinking I might see some around the vent flaps around the bottom of the back and two sides. Didn't happen. Light tight.

SativaFan

heehee, I did that too.. in the name of science of course... (I can also recommend secret jardin dark room series as "light tight" )

thanks for the not soaking the living shite out of the soil for seedlings tip - that's completely against what I've heard everyone else tell me and yet makes the most sense - what I've been told is - "drown them in the pots - make sure its saturated" which I also thought sounded a little negative to say the least?

j
Old 01-24-2009, 02:20 AM
SativaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
thanks for the not soaking the living shite out of the soil for seedlings tip - that's completely against what I've heard everyone else tell me and yet makes the most sense - what I've been told is - "drown them in the pots - make sure its saturated" which I also thought sounded a little negative to say the least?j
Overwatering is probably the most common error people make. Later on, I'd advise you to learn to "weigh" your pots by picking them up frequently. Do it when the plant is almost dry, then again just after watering. Learn to "feel" that difference. You'll soon learn very quickly if a plant needs water or not.

DO NOT WATER ARBITRARILY ACCORDING TO SOME CALENDAR SCHEME!

This "rule" of mine doesn't apply to large grows. Those guys don't have the time for weighing big numbers of pots. No excuse though for small growers like us. Learn to water properly by feeling the weight.

Do not be tempted to water a plant because it's been 5,6,7 days since you watered it last. If the pot is still "heavy", it means the plant has not uptaked it for some reason. If the plant appears to be healthy and turgid, then leave it alone. Check the next day.

OK so much for that....

It has been 48 hours since I put my SSH2 x SSH1 seeds in my germination rig. Nearly all of them have shown a tap root, or appear they will germ. I counted around 40 seeds total in there. I'm letting the rig stay to see how many of the seeds sucessfully germ after 60 or maybe 72 hours. I'll post the exact germination % numbers tomorrow.

Later

SativaFan

You can see for yourself that most are showing a tap root in this picture, before I removed the ones I planted.

Here they are on the veg shelf. I'll be lowering that light to right down almost on top of them tonight or tomorrow. Keeping the light as close as possible helps develop tighter nodes, reducing "seedling stretch".
Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 AM

I agree with SF that overwatering can be the cause to many new grower probs. Roots need oxygen apart from water and the more you can supply them the better.

SF,

Looking good there

seems you have enough seed to select from , m sure you ll get something special from the lot

keep us updated , always nice to see how the little ones grow big n loaded with buds

l33t
Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 PM

pick them up and give them a lil shufty - thats exactly the kind of precision engineering I can get my head around - I can't thank you enough for waking me up to the fact that it neednt be brain surgery
Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 PM
SativaFan

Hey L33t and Jamie:

Thanks L33t for stopping by. Jamie, you should know that L33t has helped me as much as anyone on here have. He and Barletta. Not just discussing "growing" advice, but with me personally. I'll always be grateful to them as friends.

Nope, this ain't brain surgery we're doing here. I know it seems that way sometimes but growing plants is, or should be, uncomplicated.

Some folks believe it is because they see all the different things I and others do in soil preparation, etc. However, that's an illusion. The reality is the time it takes me to make up a new bin of soil is less than an hour.

And sure..I spend a LOT of time thinking about what I'm going to do, before I do it. That may be the difference in me and some other folks. That doesn't make me smarter. Tha's just the approach I take to everything I do.

I do spend a bit of effort in soilmaking. And I'm still experimenting with soilmaking. My goal in soilmaking is to provide my plants with everything they will need in their soilmix. Then all I need to do throughout the course of the grow is simply water them with simple teas. Teas made from compost, compost, wormcastings, and something new I'm trying: Vierra's Liquid Wormcastings.(you can find Vierra's on the net)

Unlike last grow, this time I expect perfect plants from beginning to end. I might not succeed, but it won't be for lack of effort. Last grow I waited too long before I began feeding my soil properly. I got behind the curve so to speak. I ended up burning some leaves. That really pissed me off. It won't happen again. I may make some other error. We'll just have to see.

L33t

I just pulled 18 seeds at random to place in pots. The rest I just wanted to see how many crack and germ. Give me some idea as to the quality of the seeds I made.

I will eventually only grow out 4-5 plants. This time I'm going to top and prune a little differently. I really need to keep my plants from getting so large. Part of the pan will be to get them into flowering sooner. I may even "select" plants that "look" like they might be shorter. I did that with #68 last grow. I selected that plant because it was "short" but VERY healthy and vigorous nonetheless. #68 turned out to be a very nice plant...and good smoke. It's all gone already!! hehehe.

Thanks guys..later

SativaFan
Old 01-25-2009, 03:00 PM
SativaFan

Thumbs up

I have three seedlings as of this morning and it looks like I'll have more as the day progresses!!

SativaFan
Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
herbmister

hehehe

seedlings are cool

i got 8 malanas and 2 ropey looking hk

keep us posted SF
Old 01-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Seedlings are cool indeed

Weed plants always surprise me in the end..watching nature do its thing is one of the most beautiful things in this life.
You take a small seed from a bud and with bit of love you have lots of big buds after a couple of months..isn't just great
Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 AM
SativaFan

As of this evening 830PM MST time I have 15 seedlings out of 18 showing All have sprouted in the last 18 hours or so. Most in the last 12 hours. I tried to plant them uniformly deep about 1cm.

I mist the pots with a spray bottle once a day so far.

Be interesting to see how they do in this soilmix. Some would think it's too rich for seedlings since it is a fully amended soil. I'm betting they will like it

SativaFan

Amazing how fast they grow. These are the "older" ones All but three came up in the last 12 hours.

Hard to see the plants with arrows, they just broke the surafce in the last hour or so.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 AM
barletta

Got yourself some water bubblin, huh Cheif Rocka?!?

My compost pile is a frozen lump. I have no humus, and no where to bury my rootballs/fans/bannapeels/eggshell/coffee, lol. After the room upgrades, I'ma get going with some brewing, hopefully.