Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 AM
SativaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barletta View Post
I think I wouldn't select anything until I flowered the clones. Made that mistake before. I also think that the same variation will exist in 15 ssh beans as will in 15 ssh x ssh beans, IMHO. We'll see in a few months...
Yeah you'll see variation in the SSH f1's I had some (giant, for me) sativa dominant plants and then I had one that looked a lot like my Aurora Indica.

Somebody once posted the three main SSH f1 phenotypes and the expected occurance of each. I don't know how valid it is. Scorpion or L33t might know. And of course there are always the odd balls that occur outside the "expected". You know maybe something resembling a pure haze from a pack of SSH isn't out of the question. Maybe VERY rare, but not impossible.

I think the deal is the variation in the f1s fall into much more narrowly defined "groups"? or phenotypes? There's variation, but within tighter bounds?

Whereas, the f2(pseudo f2s actually) plants have the expected variation, but this time, the "bounds" or the "spread" of possible phenotypes is broader.

See where I'm going with this ? Can you tell I know shitall about genetics? I know the "general theory" but not much beyond that

SativaFan

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-17-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:06 AM
barletta

No doubt you can select early based on tendencies, and end up with a higher proportion of what you are selecting for (or less of what you are selecting away from...). Odds are very good that the more sativa expressive plant early will finish more sativa expressive.

However, it is entirely possible that the plants will start one way (as percieved by us), and end up another. Example: The batch of plants that I just ran was ssh x ssh and spice x ssh. The most sativa expressive plant thought finished fast and heavy. I would have never cloned her in hopes of a 10 wk heavy haze, but that's how the seedplant finished (still just a seedplant...). The 'green' spice x ssh had wider leaves, but the buds look like ssh or JH or Kalimist buds, just calyx spirals. Killer sativa high too.

I'm sort of just playing devil's advocate here. over 70% of the plants will finish like I/SF/youdearreader think they will. IE: Sativa expressive will stay sativa expressive, indy dom/indy dom, etc... Think of smells, some plants are very shifty with the smells, while most just 'mature', IMO.

Your plant grow like weeds, SF

EDIT - I should have been clearer on what I meant on the variation. Take a SSH that falls within 80% of the ssh's, and cross it to a male that does the same. Of course you will have more variation with a haze dom male to a Nl dom female, for example.

As far as the 'pheno's', I don't see the 6 that I grew that way. I see them more as you are describing the 'F2's'. I have seen plants across a given range. Not distinct pheno's. I have only grown 6 females, but I got to know 5 of them VERY well. You've seen em - 8-11wks with 1 plant that I take to 12. I WANTED distinct pheno's, but I haven't seen em. I couldn't tell you what dominates in any one of my plants, but I smoked some bud off of the street, and immediately ID'd it as SSH

I'm not going to assume the spectrum is any broader until I see a trend in my plants. I know how a small sample of ssh perform, and I THINK I know the 2 males that I used.
I think that break down was - (of 26 fem's)
6 Nl
8 sk/hz
12 'best' pheno. I have read that thing a hundred times, and don't feel that it applies to me, but I have seen a smaller sample. But I have SEEN my sample...

Last edited by barletta; 02-17-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 AM
SativaFan

Pots felt light enough to water this morning, so I did.

I added 3TBls(45ml)/gallon of Liquid WormCastings, 1tsp(5ml) LK and 1Tbls of Maxicrop.

I also noticed one plant in the back corner with a couple less than perfect leaves. The very tips are yellowing I don't know what might be going on with that plant.

I'll see if I can get pics tomorrow.

SativaFan
Old 02-18-2009, 02:24 AM
barletta

SF, what is the recommended feed strength on your maxicrop? Mine is the can of soluble granulars, and they say 1 teaspoon/gallon 1x/wk.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 AM
SativaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barletta View Post
SF, what is the recommended feed strength on your maxicrop? Mine is the can of soluble granulars, and they say 1 teaspoon/gallon 1x/wk.
The bottle recommends "1 Capful/gallon water weekly" for "houseplants".

1 Capful is 3 Tbls(45ml). i use 1Tbls/gallon.

Why?

SativaFan

PS EDIT:

You think I need to use more? I have a hard time with that knowing what I know about what's in that soil, including a good bit of Maxicrop before the plants were in it. My minds open though. I trust your judgement and I know you like Maxicrop.

And the Vierra's liquid worm casting full dose is 4Tbls/gallon, every watering they say. I can't see that stuff hurting anything, although this is my first grow with it.

Unless the other plants do the same thing, it may be just a plant that wants to piss me off

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-18-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:58 AM
barletta

No, I was thinking that you fed them 3x's recco'd strength. You have liquid (?) maxicrop, and I have the soluble granulars. Our application rates are different. No way you can cook em with castings My first stab at coco I used 50% castings in my mix. Plants LOVED it, but it was staying too soggy. I'm sure you got it down, but I thought that you may have done the Tbsp/Tsp flip flop accidentially. I have done it plenty of times

EDIT - I forget. Oh! HTe maxicrop I have says to use the same application rates for every application, and lists like 6 of em, lol. They could save on ink by just putting it once

Last edited by barletta; 02-18-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 AM
SativaFan

Hey Thanks Barletta!

Yeah I use the liquid version in the green bottle. I'm lazy. The powdered is no doubt cheaper. That price on the bottle in my gallery isn't what I paid LOL if you look. I think it said $12.00 !! It was mismarked. $6.50 here ina funky lil nursery place. I bought the rock phosphate there too. The lil ol gal about my age just 'looked" at me, I winked at her LOl! It was mid november.

I'm using Maxicrop a bit more this time around. I used to use it every third water or so...about once /2wks. I may use it like this every watering this time. Low dose, but every watering

Or you think that's a bad idea? A lot of people don't like using Maxicrop a lot...too many/too much hormones?

Or you think thats BullShit?

Always like input oin these things...from You, anyone.

SativaFan
Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 AM
barletta

Not a bad idea at all dude, I just posted positive results using the soluble the same way (weak, just about every time) in my thread. LOL, you could have told the cashier you were overwintering, and could use a snuggle buddy

I don't have any problems with hormones. Not since I was ~26. LOL, I have nothing but good to say about kelp, except that it encourages the 'digging' animals to want to flip your plants out of holes if you don't prep the spot ahead of time. No fishies in the bush! Rocks and compost! Really though, I slow down feeding everything but molasses over the last 2+ weeks minimum, and never see any kind of re-vegging or anything. I used to topdress the 'kelp meal' (algamin/espoma) up till ~6 wks flower, and I've been using the B-1/LK/maxicrop right till the last water or 2, albiet in low amounts.

I figgured it out, and at recommended strength, I can make over 100 gallons from the $15 can. Deffo cheap, and I got it as a substitute for the out of stock algamin. I was going through ~ a (4lb?) box of algamin every 2mo.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 PM
SativaFan

Hey everyone:

Still waiting on them to show me some sex.

#7 is the tall one in center towards the back at about 13". That's the one I left 3 nodes on.

The others are between 8-10". The leaves on the one have not gotten worse, or don't appear to have gotten any worse. I owe y'all a picture of that plant. I forgot this time around with the camera.

They seem to be doing OK. They may need watering again tomorrow morning.

More frequent watering shows how growth has really accelerated, more vegetation to support means water uptake increases. Fortunately these pots are big enough to last two weeks or so which is about the time to indicate sex. So when they "show", I'll transplant them into their final pot, a standard 11L black nursery pot.

Then they will have new soil as they enter what will be the fun part of this grow--the stretch. This time I won't to worry about them getting into the light like I did with past plants....plants I vegged 30days+ and flowered at a much bigger size.

SativaFan

SSH x SSH Day 12 of 12/12...Day 25 overall

Old 02-20-2009, 01:14 AM

Looking good , they started streching already
Do you use HPS light right now ?