Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 11:02 PM
SativaFan

And last here is #7's roots...or those we can see. I'll see about setting up a tripod for a better closeup of this plant's roots. I think you can see that it has done pretty well so far "colonizing" the soil in its pot

SativaFan

#7's roots. I like to see all that branching with lots of smaller roots and "fuzzy" hairs on them. The better, more healthy the root system is, the better able the plant's ability to grow new vegetation will be.

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-15-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 PM

Hi SF

Hope youre doing well man

Your SSHxSSH look great for day 21 , great vigor and all very healthy.
Like how you kept em short n bushy from early on ,

Regarding transparent containers , I know you 've never experienced any issues from light penetrating into the medium your self , but I just saw a mate who has had algae growing in the rootzone and it was due to the transparent container.

Algae

Spores are everywhere in all parts of the Earth: the waters fresh and marine, the atmosphere, free-floating and in precipitation or mixed with dust, the humus and in other organisms, such as humans. Whether a spore is to grow into an organism depends on the combination of the species and the environmental conditions.

heres a pic from his pots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roots.jpg (256.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 PM
SativaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33t View Post
Hi SF

Hope youre doing well man

Your SSHxSSH look great for day 21 , great vigor and all very healthy.
Like how you kept em short n bushy from early on ,

Regarding transparent containers , I know you 've never experienced any issues from light penetrating into the medium your self , but I just saw a mate who has had algae growing in the rootzone and it was due to the transparent container.

If folks want to try clear containers and are worried. Just make cardboard/paper "covers" for their pots. I think some folks would benefit from seeing root growth like this. Just cover them.

Algae

Spores are everywhere in all parts of the Earth: the waters fresh and marine, the atmosphere, free-floating and in precipitation or mixed with dust, the humus and in other organisms, such as humans. Whether a spore is to grow into an organism depends on the combination of the species and the environmental conditions.

heres a pic from his pots
I believe that the reason I don't have that problem is My plants are only in these pots for 2-3 weeks tops. Algae seems to take longer than that?

They go in black 11L pots in the next week or so.

If people want to try this, and I think some newbies should,, just make paper covers for their clear containers. Educational, yet safe.

SativaFan

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-15-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 AM

hi SF

Yes perhaps the 2-3 period is too short to see any visible signs but mind that many green algae species live most of their lives as single cells (, while other species form colonies or long filaments) , so it might be not visible .

Anyway the papercover idea is good , educational yet safe just as you described it, and I think its something I d like to try myself too sometime.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 AM
SativaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33t View Post
hi SF

Yes perhaps the 2-3 period is too short to see any visible signs but mind that many green algae species live most of their lives as single cells (, while other species form colonies or long filaments) , so it might be not visible .

Anyway the papercover idea is good , educational yet safe just as you described it, and I think its something I d like to try myself too sometime.

I probably should say that I would suggest some newbies try it one time...just so they can see how roots grow. You know I'm big on this sort of thing for new growers. Once they've done it and hopefully learned something, they can go on using more conventional containers.

I do it because I can. Maybe I'm a guina pig of sorts. No harm done if I do something and screw up. I have plenty of seeds. I might be less inclined to experiment with seeds that are $10/ea.

SativaFan

PS Edit:

The way my pots are arranged and the spacing keeps much direct light from falling on the roots. The outside "sides" of the pots are way out of the direct rays of light.

If these same pots were outside in sunlight, that would be "a horse of a different color".... as the wise farmer/grower once said.

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-16-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 AM
barletta

Lookin good, SF Happy roots=Happy plants

NBA AllStar game is on
Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 AM

seriously healthy looking plants, mate .. I'll just keep saying that as it keeps being true
Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 AM
SativaFan

Some of you new folks might be interested in these pics. One expects some variation in second generation plants like I'm growing. Here's a good example. These plants are same exact age, been topped the same way, the same day....8 days ago. Look at them now.

Look how "sparse" and "open" # 10 appears next to #5. #10 is a much bigger plant in terms of height and width. #10's leaves are more narrow bladed. All this indicates[to me anyway] #10 is a very sativa dominant plant.

#5 may have a lot of sativa too, but not looking that way to me at this time. Look how much more compact #5 is. Shorter node lengths. A lot more branching and growth. Much shorter leaf stems. Leaf fiingers are somewhat broader than #10. More indica in this one IMO

Soooooo...if you are want a big, tall, sprawling, HUGE sativa type plant ....You'd "select" #10 over #5. If you want something that's probably more indica and compact growing, #5 would be a better choice.

Me? I don't care hehehehehe All my plants so far have been pretty good smoke. I likem ALL!!!

They'll all be showing sex here in a few days, maybe a week most. It'll be fun and interesting to see which expressions turn out to be girls

What do yall think?

SativaFan

SSH x SSH #5 and #10 Day 9 of 12/12, Day 22 overall.

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-17-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 AM
barletta

I think I wouldn't select anything until I flowered the clones. Made that mistake before. I also think that the same variation will exist in 15 ssh beans as will in 15 ssh x ssh beans, IMHO. We'll see in a few months...
Old 02-17-2009, 02:51 AM
SativaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barletta View Post
I think I wouldn't select anything until I flowered the clones. Made that mistake before. I also think that the same variation will exist in 15 ssh beans as will in 15 ssh x ssh beans, IMHO. We'll see in a few months...

Hey B !!

Yes, you are correct, if I had having the growing resources you do. But I don't.

When you don't have the wherewithall to take time and grow out clones and do as you say....you sometimes have to make a "selection" based on very little...as above. I have to decide in the next week or so which 5 plants I'm going to keep...assuming I have 5+ females to choose from. I may not, although the math is I'm a good fave for 5+.

Remember too, I'm a "hobby" grower. Yield is not a huge issue for me, neither is time...up to a point. Maybe I should make that more clear to new growers?

I fully understand why people who have different growing goals do as you say and do clones and flower out cuts so they know what they have. Afterall, Shanti is entirely correct, paraphrasing him here[emphasis is mine]

"It's ALL in the selection"

So the more serious one is about getting the best from a pack of seeds, the more they should follow your advice.

My seeds are all OK for me. So I just plant a bunch and "select" based on what I see "at the moment, when/whatever/however that moment comes along".

I think sometimes you just have to select based on experience and instinct. I'm sentimental now....saying this. I hope that #9 is a girl. #9 is the one with the stem rot problem I thought was damping off. Anyway #9 survives and is a decent looking lil plant. I shouldn't be growing LOL1!!

Anyway thanks for coming by!

SativaFan