Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmister View Post
18 days wow

they look fantastic for 18 days old

seriously - when I saw these plants and their age - I had to go and find a million other pictures of 2 week old plants to stop me panicing about the size of mine (from the same day)...luckily SatFans' are just well big for their age and mine isn't as runty as it appears next to them
Old 02-13-2009, 04:57 PM
SativaFan

Jamie and Herb:

Thanks for the very nice comments! I'm very flattered.

That said...I doubt my plants are that good. They are very healthy and thriving. I'm very pleased with their growth so far. I just hope I can keep them going that way.

To those lurking....

There is a BIG difference in a soil mix that is rich and a soil mix that has lots of nutes in it but burns.

Mine is very rich, but it won't burn plants, even tiny seedlings as I believe I have demonstrated these first 18 days.

None of these 12 plants is doing poorly.
ALL have perfect leaves with no spots so far.
ALL the roots I can see are very white, thick, and "fuzzy".

Those are signs **to me** that these plants are thriving so far. They are growing vigorously because they have all of what they need....and "they" are in control I'm just watching them go!!

SativaFan
Old 02-13-2009, 06:56 PM
barletta

They look great, SF. I had to pretend that a mouse ate mine, cause yours were just beastin away LOL, even if the mouse didn't eat em, my plants would be 1/2 the size/'age' of yours, and I planted em about the same time.

Hey I wanted to ask if you have ever cut a taproot in order to make a plant develop more 'feeder' roots? I have only really seen it done with older clones, and it usually involves a pretty hard trim above the soil too. It will be cool to watch the lateral roots grow in those pots.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 PM
SativaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barletta View Post
They look great, SF. I had to pretend that a mouse ate mine, cause yours were just beastin away LOL, even if the mouse didn't eat em, my plants would be 1/2 the size/'age' of yours, and I planted em about the same time.

Hey I wanted to ask if you have ever cut a taproot in order to make a plant develop more 'feeder' roots? I have only really seen it done with older clones, and it usually involves a pretty hard trim above the soil too. It will be cool to watch the lateral roots grow in those pots.
No I have never done that. I've heard of it being done though.

Personally, I wouldn't want to do that. Somehow it seems uneeded IMO.

As for lateral root formation....IMO, healthy plants in good soil mix will probably make whatever roots they need. The plants are in control in my grows nowadays I let them do what they want.

It seems that I have noticed more root development in "shallow" portions of these pots this grow. You look back at thepics of #10. Those big lateral roots are right on the surface. I haven't seen that too much before...or maybe I just didn't notice it. Dunno.

I Have to decide soon, like tomorrow...about how/what I'm going to prune off this second round of topping/pruning. All were simply topped last Sunday. I told y'all that transplanting and topping wouldn't slow them down much. You'll see thisweekend. I'll do before and after topping pictures. They haven't gotten a lot taller cause they were topped. They are much bigger overall though. Leaves are bigger and the lower growth has really come on strong.

I feel sorry for those whose plants aren't so healthy and don't grow as vigorously as mine apparently do. It's really exciting[to me anyway] to get up each morning and see how much my plants have grown.

I have to look tomorrow and see just what and how I want to top them this second time. I want to try and have as much chopping and topping done as I can before they show sex.

I watered this morning with thoroughly bubbled water with Vierra's Liquid Wormcastings @3Tbls(45ml) per gallon and LK @2tsp(10ml) per gallon. It took 5 days from a light watering after transplant to dry out enough to water today. That's typical in my experience. By the time these are ready for potting up to 11L pots, they will be needing water nearly every day. It takes a while for the new root system to grow large enough to start taking up water in any appreciable amount. I'm sure growth will really begin to accelerate once again soon. The second topping will slow them down a little, but not much, and not for long

SativaFan

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-13-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:26 AM
SativaFan

Here is a link to a new album I made for soil amendments, nutrients, etc.

If the link doesn't work, just go to my photo gallery and look at the one labeled "Soil Amendments...."

Sativafan

I do not necessarily use all of them every grow. Ask me about them if you want to know how I use them. As you see, I don't use fancy stuff. It's pretty much common stuff.

Whitney Farms Alfalfa Meal is missing. I used it all up this grow.

http://www.mrnice.nl/photos/showgallery.php?cat=587

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-14-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:35 AM
SativaFan

I looked at my plants this morning(Saturday) and couldn't decide how I wanted to top them this time, or if I wanted to top them again at all at this time. So I did nothing. I'll look again tomorrow.

They're doing pretty good IMO. Interesting to see some of the differences among them. Some bigger(taller) than others. Difference in leaf sizes and shapes, subtle but there. Stem thickness and shape. Some have a more pronounced "fluting" I call it stem structure. A couple have what might be the beginnings of some huge fan leaves. That always makes me happy for some reason. I'm just fascinated by plants that develop those big fans.

I look for "asymetry" in noding/branching. I'm not happy when I see one branch big and another "stunted" on the same node. That may not be a bad thing for some of you,,,,i admit it. I'm just anal about some things.

I noticed one plant had a small piece of leaf "gone" at the tip end. No yellowing or browning. Like it was cut out. No insects or anything. Just a wierd lil anomoly of some sort.

I'll try to take my time in 8-9 hours from now and get some decent before/after pictures....if I decide to top/prune them a 2nd time tomorrow.

SativaFan

Sleepless in .....

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-15-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:33 PM
SativaFan

Here are pics from today, Sunday, February 15th.

This idea of pics didn't work out like I wanted, but I wasn't gonna do it over.

I decided to wait a while before doing anymore topping or pruning. I'm still undecided on what I want to do.

I apologize for y'all having to scroll side to side. Next time I'll merge them one over the other, not side by side.

Let me know what you think of these plants. I welcome constructive criticism even if I may not agree with it. I want to see what some of you more experienced growers have to say....which is why I'm not going to say anything at the moment.

SativaFan

SSH x SSH Day 8 of 12/12, Day 21 overall

Old 02-15-2009, 06:35 PM
SativaFan

Here are the other 6 plants

SativaFan

SSH x SSH Day 8 of 12/12, Day 21 overall

Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 PM
SativaFan

Hey everyone:

A few more pictures of a plant I really am liking so far. #7

Look how this one has grown in 7 days. 1st picture is last Sunday right after topping still in 4" pot. Plant is about 4" tall.

Now check out #7 in the following pictures. This plant is really doing well. This plant has doubled in height and has put on considerable new growth. Root system is growing at a really rapid rate, spreading all over the pot. I hope this one is a girl!!!

SativaFan

SSH x SSH #7 Day1 of 12/12, Day 14 overall

And again here on Day 8 of 12/12 Day 21 overall
Old 02-15-2009, 10:59 PM
SativaFan

Here's some more of #7. See how the stem is "fluted" in structure? The cross sectional shape(geometry) makes for a much stronger stem....compared to a simple "roundish" shape.

SativaFan

SSH x SSH #7 Day 8 of 12/12 Day 21 overall.