Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019, 11:09 PM

Default Too much power flagged by smart meter?

Gday guys. I currently run 4x600s. And want to bump it up.

I would like to run 6 plants with a 600w above each plant.
Then i would like to run 3 x 400w MH down the middle for vert lighting. It would bring me to a total of 4800watts with multiple 600s and 400s

My concern is smart metres. And is that too much power to be running? The local shop down here said ill be fine just pay the bill. Just like to hear some other thoughts.
Cheers. Aussie.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayathomedad420 View Post
Gday guys. I currently run 4x600s. And want to bump it up.

I would like to run 6 plants with a 600w above each plant.
Then i would like to run 3 x 400w MH down the middle for vert lighting. It would bring me to a total of 4800watts with multiple 600s and 400s

My concern is smart metres. And is that too much power to be running? The local shop down here said ill be fine just pay the bill. Just like to hear some other thoughts.
Cheers. Aussie.
G `day SAHD

Its not the smart meters ...
Its the wiring and breakers . 4 x 600 on one circuit it getting up near 75 -80% capacity of your circuits in a standard domestic situation .

Not recommended to exceed 80% of capacity .

If you have circuits to handle the power . knock yourself out . As long as you pay the bills all`s good .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Old 04-14-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Bud View Post
G `day SAHD

Its not the smart meters ...
Its the wiring and breakers . 4 x 600 on one circuit it getting up near 75 -80% capacity of your circuits in a standard domestic situation .

Not recommended to exceed 80% of capacity .

If you have circuits to handle the power . knock yourself out . As long as you pay the bills all`s good .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hey elmer

Currently got 2 circuits. I have at the moment.

3x600s (plus 2 fans) on 1 circuit.
3x600s on the other circuit.

The plan is to get an electrician in and give me 2 more 15amp breakers. The electrician has to go dangerously close to my lil room but ill be closing the door and removing plants and chucking shit infront of all the door and making the area hard to move around in. I dont think he will need to get in there.
Its an 80amp subpanal so bassically i think he just needs to add some more breakers for me on the box and some fires and give me another 2 15 amp circuits.

Glad to hear I have nothing to worry about.
I heard here in the land downunder oz that my energy provider had "means" of knowing who grew. It quite possibly was bullshit however. But yeah thats close to 5k of light ill be running so I was a little concerned. I also have solar hooked up aswell. Maybe i should run the lights during the day instead of pumping them all through the night time at some ungodly hour.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:05 PM

G `day SAHD

For the amount of hydro that is going on there are minimal busts .
I have been running power bills that tell me I should have 6 or 7 people living in my house to consume that much power for nigh on 10 years .

Night rate aka off peak is cheaper per KW .

Who knows how you are using the electricity ? Room full of computer servers . An aqua culture farm or a work shop with welders and lathes ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Old 04-17-2019, 06:20 AM

Default Smart meters.

I think your concern about smart meters rationing your power allowance is legit. Maybe not at this moment but I totally believe it is part of the plan for the future.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:39 PM

80 amp sub panel isn't even allowed here, it's all 100 and up (nec code).
I don't remember as it's been prolly 40 years since I visited Oz. isn't it 220v there at a standard wall socket and 50hz?

I do electric and can give you a much better idea....upgrade the main service (panel) to higher amperage/more circuits and run a heavy circuit like 40-50 amp with a removable sub panel near the grow.
Less voltage loss that way, less chances for a heat related fire, easily removable in emergency (bust).
Old 04-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Pay it on time and they don't care what is going on, in general.

N2 has a good idea there. IMO
Old 05-27-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ishun View Post
80 amp sub panel isn't even allowed here, it's all 100 and up (nec code).
I don't remember as it's been prolly 40 years since I visited Oz. isn't it 220v there at a standard wall socket and 50hz?

I do electric and can give you a much better idea....upgrade the main service (panel) to higher amperage/more circuits and run a heavy circuit like 40-50 amp with a removable sub panel near the grow.
Less voltage loss that way, less chances for a heat related fire, easily removable in emergency (bust).
Hi n2.

Have you ever personally heard anyone been flagged by power consumption?

And yeah i am running at night too. 6x600s
I made a mistake. Im running 3 x 15amp circuits with all my gear spread over it.
Was just concerned that somehow they might flag me because they may have some sort of time that can tell its 18/6hrs. And then 12/12 hours or such when I should be asleep.
Ive only got 4 plants!

Its a shame we have to worry about these things. I am old and terminally ILL.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Bud View Post
G `day SAHD

For the amount of hydro that is going on there are minimal busts .
I have been running power bills that tell me I should have 6 or 7 people living in my house to consume that much power for nigh on 10 years .

Night rate aka off peak is cheaper per KW .

Who knows how you are using the electricity ? Room full of computer servers . An aqua culture farm or a work shop with welders and lathes ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Yeah thanks for that e.b.
Would it be wise to run my times during the day so it fits in within normal hours. Or it wouldn't matter? My power bill was 1.9k per quarter!! Hopefully this is ok
Old 05-31-2019, 03:22 AM

Have you considered trying high-end LED's? Way less electricity and quite efficient.

They've come really far in the last few years. A lot of the mega commercial grows are going that way. I wouldn't have believed how well they work if I wasn't watching it with my own eyes.

Stay away from the older pinkish purple lights, if you go LED. Spend the money and get decent ones with natural looking light.