Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 03:52 PM

noted - thanks HM

PS - it's clear I dont really know how the carbon can/soft box combo work... it is JUST for intake? or exhaust as well? my understanding was that the filter system drew air into the growspace then a few minutes later sucked it back out before replacing and so on.....

quote: "Effective treatment requires the exchange of air in the growing area in a period of 5 minutes." - I'm not as dumb I look

quote2"Activated carbon air filters consist of a vast system of pores of molecular size. These pores are highly adsorbent, forming a strong chemical bond/attraction to odorous, gaseous, and liquid contaminates.
" - so in theory, the exhaust shouldnt smell anyway? (heh theory eh?)

and when determining the size requiremtns, is that only to ensure you don't go too small? or can you go too big and find yourself with an ineffective system? or is bigger better?

Last edited by Jamie; 01-21-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:06 PM

ok, Carbon Cans explained for newbs...

How do I use the Carbon Air Filter?

Filters can be placed inside or outside a growing environment and used for cleaning the intake or the exhaust air. Place a fan that matches the size rating of the filter, into the flange on the filter top and place the filter on the floor, bottom end down, or hang the assembly horizontally in the growing area.

When do I use the Carbon Filter?

Use a Can Carbon Filter any time you need to clean 99.9% of all odors and unwanted airborne organisms from the air.

What will the Carbon Filter do for my plants?

Carbon filters purify air and prevent odours and disease organisms from entering or leaving growing environments.

Where will I see the results?

It is what you will not see (airborne disease) or smell (unwanted odour) as a result.

Why should I use the Carbon Filter?

Carbon Air Filters use only the highest quality pre-Cambrian mined carbon ore with the smallest grain size (more surface area to clean air).

thats for any other newbs like me reading this

Last edited by Jamie; 01-21-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
noted - thanks HM

PS - it's clear I dont really know how the carbon can/soft box combo work... it is JUST for intake? or exhaust as well? my understanding was that the filter system drew air into the growspace then a few minutes later sucked it back out before replacing and so on.....

quote: "Effective treatment requires the exchange of air in the growing area in a period of 5 minutes." - I'm not as dumb I look

quote2"Activated carbon air filters consist of a vast system of pores of molecular size. These pores are highly adsorbent, forming a strong chemical bond/attraction to odorous, gaseous, and liquid contaminates.
" - so in theory, the exhaust shouldnt smell anyway? (heh theory eh?)

and when determining the size requiremtns, is that only to ensure you don't go too small? or can you go too big and find yourself with an ineffective system? or is bigger better?
the board with the hole in it looks like a head rest from a bed *ROLF* the net will be blowing around like fuck from the air though? unless you pin it to the wall to stop it moving around. if i walked passed andlooked up and seen that i would know whats going on for sure.

the carbon filter goes on the end of the extractor fan and pulls hot air from in the grow tent to help keep it under 80f that air needs to leave you house at some point the air going through the carbon filter will scrub the smell. you will need to have negative pressure in the room you are growing in or you will have a back draft i.e the smell will leek out of the room and in to the rest of the house. if you leave the window open on a windy day the air in the room will blow the smell out under the bottom of doors before the extractor fan and filter have time to scrub it clean.

the best way to get negative pressure in the growroom is to have the extractor fan pull more air in to the room through a smaller hole <intake vent>
These plants are sacramental and protected by international law under The European Convention on Human Rights. Article 9 The United Nations Declaration of Human Rights. Article 18,"Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion As an officer of the law you have a duty to uphold my human rights
Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
so I've just realised the major draw back with this "design" is that theres nothing to stop the exhausted "fumes" blowing straight back in.

The next step will be to seal the whole window bay up using a sheet of clear poly and duct tape
your best bet if you can only use the window is keep the net in place build a box out of plywood and stick it to the wall make a hole in it so your duckting goes through it (dont forget to leave the window open an inch or so)now when the air is sucked through the carbon filter it is vented to the small space in the window bay and then goes out the small gap you left open. the extractor will pull the air in from outside your computer room it will come in under the door, that will be plenty of negative pressure and no smell will ever leave that room

p.s
put a small table lamp on the window behind the plywood and when you turn it on it will look like a bedside lamp is on from out side, giving the illusion that the window is not blacked out. also paint the back of the board white so there is no black shadow seen in the day time from looking in.
These plants are sacramental and protected by international law under The European Convention on Human Rights. Article 9 The United Nations Declaration of Human Rights. Article 18,"Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion As an officer of the law you have a duty to uphold my human rights

Last edited by Mr green; 01-21-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:08 PM

a few quick points - it IS ply board hehehe but its from the back of an old wardrobe, the rest is from some other old bits of furniture

the net is pinned already, but if you saw what exactly? I see nothing at all? or do you mean all the flapping about from having wind powered curtains..lol ...here's the foto again... and here's one in the dark ...

the window will be open as it is shown all the time - there won't be any activity to back light the box either which only stands around 8 inches tall and previously there were cd racks all along that window sill so it hasnt changed that much in appearance - it's something I thought about already....nice idea to maybe "front" light it though.... also, this room is no longer for anything but growing in..

the window will hopefully not looked black out, as it won't be.

many thanks for all the excellent can info - I'm taking notes, mate cheers

quote:"when the air is sucked through the carbon filter it is vented to the small space in the window bay and then goes out the small gap you left open" - actually this IS the principal I'm working on, only a slightly different design maybe - I have a small chamber which the can will be fed into, the chamber will then be closed off to the inside of the room, sealing the chamber into the window space and then releasing/drawing from the small vent which runs the length and bredth of the open window gap... if that makes sense? I'll get some better fotos tomorrow

the backdraft issue will be interesting. I guess when you're exhausting through the top of your house, the wind blows across the top of the outlet and actually increases the speed of air travelling out (if you've ever had a woodburner in a caravan, then you know what I mean, the draw created is incredble on really windy days) what I'm also guessing then, is that when you try to exhaust from the side of your house, wind smashes into the side like waves, forcing the air back through the window and back through the system and into the grow area.....hmmmm interesting...what I could do is maybe set the window up to blow itself shut when the wind is too strong... maybe better to have the room closed off than actually pushing odour back through the house?

more edits - just reading up on ONA products... another avenue to explore..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outside.JPG (29.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg outside.dark.JPG (23.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Jamie; 01-21-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:38 PM

ok while I'm still sorting my main room - I still have the root box sitting - justs needs "mylar" (hehehe read tin foil) .. and a bulb.

so I'll pick up a 30 watt cfl on monday - but also theres a new product (apprently only available in NL) that is a 30 watt blue spectrum CFL with a built in Ioniser - being sold for "smoking rooms"..... as I don't have any odour control on the little box, I've decided to give these a try when I get some funds - I'll get 3 and let you know how I get on, I'll use some ONA blocks too.

well to "business". Today in the post, I received 2 White Widow seeds (I won't post links but if you're REALLY skint like I am (i'm a full time carer) - this guy will sell you one seed (or 100) for 2euros a peice - if it's ok with admin here you can pm me for the link)

WISH ME LUCK CHAPS, I'M GOING IN!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image006.jpg (481.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Image008.jpg (208.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
ok while I'm still sorting my main room - I still have the root box sitting - justs needs "mylar" (hehehe read tin foil) .. and a bulb.

so I'll pick up a 30 watt cfl on monday - but also theres a new product (apprently only available in NL) that is a 30 watt blue spectrum CFL with a built in Ioniser - being sold for "smoking rooms"..... as I don't have any odour control on the little box, I've decided to give these a try when I get some funds - I'll get 3 and let you know how I get on, I'll use some ONA blocks too.

well to "business". Today in the post, I received 2 White Widow seeds (I won't post links but if you're REALLY skint like I am (i'm a full time carer) - this guy will sell you one seed (or 100) for 2euros a peice - if it's ok with admin here you can pm me for the link)

WISH ME LUCK CHAPS, I'M GOING IN!
hi Jamie

what i ment was the fan blowing the net around if you pin it so it does not move you will be o.k. on your next things to do is make sure you save for a carbon filter although 2 plants where you live you should not have a problem if the door gets put through.

never tell anyone your growing ever!!! and you will have meny a bumper harvest and GOOD LUCK! bro
Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 PM

Good luck Jamie, and welcome to the wonderful world of gardening

Buddhadreams
Old 01-24-2009, 08:28 PM

thank you much, both

Mr G - if they put my door in for 2 plants I'll laugh at them

(and then grimace when i think of the bill for the door)

(I have a big old carbon can for the main (flowering) tent btw )

edit - I was also reading up on how to DIY carbon scrubbers for micro grows and see that a fan with a CFM rating of 150 would be something that you could work with - I plan to experiment with a big PC fan (the antec big boy for 20 euros sounds like a bargain running 136 CFM at 19dB) - I'm trying not to get ahead of myself

Last edited by Jamie; 01-24-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 PM
herbmister

nice to hear you got some seeds J

lets get this grow on the road

how long have they been in soak have you got your soil and pots ready
its great init

Last edited by herbmister; 01-24-2009 at 09:00 PM.