Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 08:38 PM
SativaFan

L33t:

Your analysis of how outdoor plants grow versus indoor plants, soil temps, etc. is spot on as y'all say.

Especially the bit about indoor soil temps being higher on average than outdoor. That's a VERY important distinction IMO. It's long been shown that cooler soil temps are better for plants of ALL kinds. And that's one reason why I like keeping temps down, be it sativa or indica....because I believe it will be far less stress on the plants.

Indoor growing is by definition COMPLETELY artificial. And while I cannot prove it, I'm convinced the that temperature vs "ideal grow environment" curve is NOT linear. As temperatures rise the effect is more of a log or geometric shape curve. The first 5 degree temp rise from 80-85 results in X bad effect, but 2nd 5 degreerise from 85-90 is 2x bad. And a 5 degree rise from 90-95 might be 3x or 4X as bad.

Kind of like the effect of increases in wind speed. The "force" against a wall from wind rises as a fucnction of the square of the velocity. The force of a 100mph wind against a wall is 4times that of a 50mph wind, not just twice. 150mph winds exert NINE times the force of a 50mph wind. (The reason Cat 5 hurricanes(Andrew in Dade Co. FLorida) tend to rip the shit out of virtually all structures except "bunkers )

Now I used those numbers only for illustrating the principle.....The actual temps where all this occurs can only be found doing a rigorous study of some sort. I just believe it "intuitively".....so I'm allowing I may be all wrong

Sativafan

Last edited by SativaFan; 02-08-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SativaFan View Post
L33t:

Your analysis of how outdoor plants grow versus indoor plants, soil temps, etc. is spot on as y'all say.

Especially the bit about indoor soil temps being higher on average than outdoor. That's a VERY important distinction IMO. It's long been shown that cooler soil temps are better for plants of ALL kinds. And that's one reason why I like keeping temps down, be it sativa or indica....because I believe it will be far less stress on the plants.

Indoor growing is by definition COMPLETELY artificial. And while I cannot prove it, I'm convinced the that temperature vs "ideal grow environment" curve is NOT linear. As temperatures rise the effect is more of a log or geometric shape curve. The first 5 degree temp rise from 80-85 results in X bad effect, but 2nd 5 degreerise from 85-90 is 2x bad. And a 5 degree rise from 90-95 might be 3x or 4X as bad.

Kind of like the effect of increases in wind speed. The "force" against a wall from wind rises as a fucnction of the square of the velocity. The force of a 100mph wind against a wall is 4times that of a 50mph wind, not just twice. 150mph winds exert NINE times the force of a 50mph wind. (The reason Cat 5 hurricanes(Andrew in Dade Co. FLorida) tend to rip the shit out of virtually all structures except "bunkers )

Now I used those numbers only for illustrating the principle.....The actual temps where all this occurs can only be found doing a rigorous study of some sort. I just believe it "intuitively".....so I'm allowing I may be all wrong

Sativafan
Hi SF

I completely agree that the curve is not linear.

One comment tho regarding indoor growing being completely artificial , well I agree but only up to a point. I guess you mostly refer to indoor growing with artificial lighting.

Don't forget you can also grow indoors but use sunlight instead of artificial light.

Growing in a Greenhouse is also indoor growing. Cause the plants are inside a building.

And in a Greenhouse apart from using natural sunlight you may also grow straight in the ground/mother earth (no pots).

So a Greenhouse can just be almost the same as field-growing but with a small difference , a protective 'layer' of a transparent material (ie glass to control the environment better , ie temp/humidity control).
In this case it doesn't seem that artificial to me.Hope you get my point.

So if you use the word indoors to describe a growing environment where light is artificial and you are not growing straight in the ground/mother earth , I will agree that indoors is artificial ..but still not completely as we are still using naturally produced water and air etc etc
Old 02-08-2009, 11:44 PM
SativaFan

Indoors means artificial lighting, soilmixes(unless you're using real garden dirt), chemical nutes (organic too in many cases) grow tents, mechanical ventilation, control of temps/humidity, etc.

I wasn't refrrring to greenhouse, or other sorts of indoor/in-ground grows, and grows under the sun and less "artificial" conditions

SativaFan
Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 AM

of course, the soil is its own insulation - why didn't I think of that?

ran the tent for 12 hours y'day, temp's a steady 27c at canopy level - job's a goodun!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Here she is 8 days after surfacing

you'll notice that after all my trying to decide on a soil method, that shes sitting in cocos... more by circumstance than choice (my budget and getting a few free things from friends).. fingers crossed though, I read "good things" about it

my cheap camera doesnt show it, but she started on her 2nd set of proper leaves yesterday (you'll notice I'm lavishing female-ness upon "HER!" = if she turns out to be a Brian, it won't be for lack of encouragement

1 feb - moved to cup with cube
4 feb - first dose rhizo6 feb - first dose A+B 2ml p/l
20 feb - potted on to 2.1 ltr now feed = 2ml A+B, 2ml Rhizo and 1ml Cannazym
22 feb - fimmed
28 feb - flipped 12/12 - feed currently 2ml A+B only

Bess gets flipped at 4 weeks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bess.28.02.09.JPG (52.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Jamie; 02-28-2009 at 07:40 PM.