Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 12:42 AM

Question RH in a grow tent in a grow room

Hi all !

Newbee at the end of my second run in RDWC Hydro.

I have 2 8bucket systems in a 10x10 tent. I live in Southern Africa and it middle of summer here.

My light schedule is ON (8pm to 8am). I use the cool night temps to cool my tent while lights are on. On average during my grow, the temps have varied from 72 to 88F. And my RH has been between 60 and 75%.

For most of the grow, I have been within VPD range the whole time but I am aware that as we near the last 3 weeks, RH should be droping down into the 50s and temps should follow accordingly in order to keep with in VPD range. That is not the goal but it is preferable.

I was very worried about mold as my Rh was fluctuate between 65% and 75% in the last weeks despite a dehumidifier that was catching 20L/day.

I think I have been lucky and I will verify when I start trimming. The girls have been hanging for four days so far and I havent seen any signs of mold but I havent experienced mold before so I dont know what I am looking for hahaha.

I was really excited about one plant in particular as she had lovely sized colas and a nice weight on all her buds. Now that they have been drying for four days, it looks like those massive colas shrank down to a quarter. WTF?

Due to my inexperience and knowing that my buds from my last run only lost half their weight, I can only deduce that the high RH in my tent made the colas hold more water than usual and that is why.

I have to mote that the strains on this run are totally different from the last one.

I am tearing through the Fem seeds I THOUGHT were the good stuff so that I can get strain and grow experience before I deem myself worthy of taking on the Mr.Nice seeds I have collected. I almost have the entire library with several duplicates.

I have learned that a couple of mistakes can domino into other disasters that have affected my yield and on some of the plants, quality. out of 16 plants, only 11 are worth celebrating, the other 5 will just get extracted. While they are very fluffy and BIG, there seems to be plenty of trichomes so they are not a complete right off. Just not smokable.

Can anyone confirm my theory about high RH and its affect on bud size in final weeks?

Cheers !
Old 06-23-2019, 08:35 AM

Default Effects of RH on buds in grow tent

Hi Zimbo,
Admittedly I had to google your system to try and get an idea of how best to answer you. I guess we should talk about the amount of plants in that area, imo 16 is far too many, i wouldnt put more than 8 in that area. I would use 4 600w hps, Im not sure what lighting you use as that can have have an impact on temperature.
Secondly you cant compare last crop to this one as they werent the same strain, also fem seeds are not ideal in any system, they will all grow at different rates so canopy height will be uneven and some plants will over shadow others. With that many in there I have to ask are the buds touching each other? Or are you growing small enough to avoid that issue?
In my experience buds only go mouldy from high humidity, buds touching each other or walls/other surfaces. I live in Australia and it gets pretty hot here in summer, it is not necessary to rigidly follow vpd charts, marijuana is a hardy plant that thrives in a hot environment as long as it is dry. I dont use a dehumidifier but investing in a powerful extraction fan ducted from the tent out of exterior room is essential. Do you have enough fresh incoming air? With the correct ventilation humidity will never be an issue.
I have only experienced mould once in my earlier days of growing and so far as I can remember it is impossible to tell by looking at them, it grows from the stem out so can only be identified once you are handling the bud.
The major factors that effect bud size are strain, stress, nute deficiencies or over fertilizing.
Then it depends on if you tip/fim/scrog?? I personally find it lengthens overall crop completion time and doesnt yield any more than if you dont.
Do you have oscillating fans in the tent to simulate wind and help with circulation?
When you are hanging your buds are they in a cool dark environment, not touching with adequate ventilation. Im not sure why you say they arent smokable, can you further explain? Is there mould in the colas, it is like a grey dust like substance hidden inside your bud?
Just out of curiosity what lights are you using and how much did you yield last time and this time? Do you have a pic of your grow tent?
Hope you find this useful, if you have any more questions hit me up.
FYI I have created my own grow room (Tents are convenient but not ideal imo) I run 2x600w hps, Im a believer in less is more, I grow 3 large plants in a satellite/hybrid system. I have powerful in and out fans, huge white reflectors and flat white walls. My reservoir is not in my grow room to ensure it doesnt increase humidity and it keeps my nutes from getting too hot (no need for water cooler) I have recently started using rain water and am loving the results. Last crop I yielded 40oz.
Im pretty happy.
Hope things improve for you
Old 06-24-2019, 07:17 AM

So my one system is a 10x10x11 Gorilla tent with 4 x Spectrum King 600W Leds.

all Res' and chillers are outside the tent. Only extraction fan and oscillating fans are in the tent. Cool fresh air comes in at night through the HEPA filter.

I totally agree about Fems being shit to grow and I only realised/learned this after an expensive first seed purchasing. As I learned more, my research led to to MR.Nice and I have bought all strains except for NH which still eludes me.

After triming the buds I saw (i can only assume) that one or 2 plants hermied and polinated parts of other plants. Those parts would just crumble and all I could see was empty hollow seed pods. Thank fully a natural cellulose product I sprayed on the plants every 10 days kept mould away from the grow.

I regrew some of the strains after that run. The cooler temps and lower RH environment resulted with tight heavy nugz. So my theory still stands that high RH results with fatter buds during grow but big shrinkage after the dry. The high temps probably caused the fluffyness of some of the plants.

i am using my 4x8 tent for now. The 10x10 needs an AC to keep all that condensation in the tent under control, so its been shelved for now

Im done with Fems now, and I have My first MNS beans growing. Shit, Spice and Sharkshock. I am doing a grow journal on this run in the Sharkshock Strain section of this Forum.

Nevil = Roger Waters/Sid Barret
Howard = Jim Morrison
Shantibaba = Jimmy Page !
Old 06-25-2019, 04:55 AM

Are you happy with your current yield? Do you mind telling me what is the highest you have managed to get? Im old school and am not convinced that leds and grow tents are better than good old hps with magnetic ballast and a custom built setup. Your lights are the best of their kind, very impressive!! In my experience hermies occur from high stress or poor genetics/seeds/clones. I have recently invested in a grow tent for experimental purposes. I am trying coco atm and am already not happy, I can also see that the tent creates way more humidity and heat than my main custom room.
Love your MNS choices, I am keen on those, let me know how you yield?
How many girls do you put in your new space and how tall do you grow them?
Got any pics? Will check out your journal
Old 06-25-2019, 05:48 AM

I havent really done a total weighing. The only time i break out the scale is when measuring for extractions. But I know I have yielded way below potential for the system I had. Each grow I had, I was battling a major problem. The run before that one, I was battling a drain fly larvae infestation in my root zones.

On each run I have overcome a few factors that I mastered now, lol. The most important is water treatment and sequence of adding nutes and micros and then Ph adjust. Now I set it and the Ph drifts with in a very narrow band which I am happy about and the last run had no deficiencies at all. Beginning to end.

The Leds seem to work fine but how can I tell when there were other issues to deal with. But I am thinking of supplementing with 315W LEC fixtures, like a checkerboard, with more violate spectrum in late flower, should bulk up the buds with more resin. But for much later in year.

For now, I am focusing on root growth, eviromental control and scrog techniques.

Also, lately our national electricity supply is in crisis mode, our only hydro electric damm has very low water levels and we are suffering up 18hour power cuts so I am running minimal system set up which is fine as I only have 2 plants in Veg, 2 in Revegg and 4 clones in 1 dwc bucket that will get chopped in a week or so.. The seedlings are still very small so i have a little time to arrange solar power and its not cheap. It has really affected my expansion project. I was going to convert a bigger room in the house for just flowering. No tent just to climatise the whole room, but that has plan is shelved until power gets better next year.

I would post more pics but its such a pain to downsize pics before uploading. You can send a request and follow me on IG. @zimgro.

Nevil = Roger Waters/Sid Barret
Howard = Jim Morrison
Shantibaba = Jimmy Page !