Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Default Bending vs. Trimming

I've been reading about bending versus trimming. I've recently had to go exclusively indoor and I read Jorge Cervantes advised that the retardation of flowering is a bigger problem for indoor grows when trimming. He advises to bend instead. But I'm not 100% clear on what's considered sufficient bending - I don't want to snap the branch, right?
Old 01-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Yeah, try not to snap them. You want the growing tips lower than the side buds/branches you want to encourage to grow faster.

IME and O both lower ppms and at least a little available silica help keep the branches supple and less likely to snap.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:54 PM

Awesome - thanks for the direction! I'll give that a shot. Glad I asked before I tried.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereComeTheNice View Post
Awesome - thanks for the direction! I'll give that a shot. Glad I asked before I tried.
G `day HCTN

Squeeze the stem you want to bend before you attempt to bend it .
The squeeze crushes the fibres in the stem allowing it to bend without breaking .

So grab at the point you wish to bend at .Squeeze tight till you feel the stem give then re position 90 deg repeat . Now the stem will be pliable at that point .

The stems will rise back up over a few days . Eventually they will want to grow up vertical again . Just repeat the process a little lower than the knot formed by the initial bending .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Last edited by Elmer Bud; 01-12-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: corrected degrees .
Old 01-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Bud View Post
G `day HCTN

Squeeze the stem you want to bend before you attempt to bend it .
The squeeze crushes the fibres in the stem allowing it to bend without breaking .

So grab at the point you wish to bend at .Squeeze tight till you feel the stem give then re position 180 deg repeat . Now the stem will be pliable at that point .

The stems will rise back up over a few days . Eventually they will want to grow up vertical again . Just repeat the process a little lower than the knot formed by the initial bending .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Thanks! I gave it a shot last night and definitely appreciate the detailed guidance here!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 AM

I've used both techniques in my current grow. On the same plants as well.

I topped them once in early veg, around the time they reached their 4th or 5th node.

From then on out (beginning a couple days/week after letting them bounce back from the topping), I used Low Stress Training.

As mentioned above, you can do a lot to the plants without stressing them. As long as you don't snap the stems/branches, it is all good.

And it works quite well.

Everybody knows the results of topping, some top twice, in an indoor setting, I think everything beyond that gets tricky if you don't work with a large bed but with single pots. Just not enough space to get so large.

I am, so far, quite satisfied with topping once and training afterwards.

Looks a lot like monster cropping, all those shoots

I took some pics and will upload this week in the G13xAfHz testers thread, you can have a look there if you want to. Maybe will also upload some pics to Broseidon's Corner again.

One thing that worked really well in bending/LST for me was twisting the stems, not only bending. Looks funky but makes the branch really strong. Also: Don't be shy with bending the tops really low, they will usually shoot back up much faster than the smaller branches again (in my experience) and you will just have to bend them again.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post

One thing that worked really well in bending/LST for me was twisting the stems, not only bending. Looks funky but makes the branch really strong. Also: Don't be shy with bending the tops really low, they will usually shoot back up much faster than the smaller branches again (in my experience) and you will just have to bend them again.
I'll have to give twisting a try. I tried out bending a couple days ago and so far, so good!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:00 AM

Lightbulb

I have bent a majority of my plants for different reasons over the years and more often than not didn't need any aids. I'd bend my stems by allowing it(stem) to collapse without snapping when holding at 90 degrees between my fingers. Plant can be radically lowered in this manner creating a full and even canopy.
However ; when the branches heal they create a callous, or knuckle at the bend which are brittle and need staking to support the weight of flowering buds. I personally prefer bending over topping. Practice on lower branches first until you have the confidence to move higher up. Hope this helps,
JKP.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Dayum it's the legend JKP.

Long time no see Bro, nice to hear from you again.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Stay frosty Bro