Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 10:54 PM

Default Led VS HPS new claims for 2019

Hi Everyone,

I saw this on amazon, they claim their 3000 watt led is equal to a 2000 MH/HPS but yet only draw 600 watt of current.

So, do you guys think this claim is true or is it propaganda and why ?

here is the link :

https://www.amazon.com/BESTVA-Spectr...07DXT9162?th=1

thanks
Old 01-08-2019, 11:35 PM

HPS is not the bulb to compare LED to any more. CMH uses less power for the same results as MH and HPS, so ceramic Metal Halide is the one to compare LED to now. And of those, the Phillips CMH bulb is the best. LED ads also seem to be mis-informative. I have yet to test an LED system that had the output as claimed. Most are inferior Chicom produced though. I know that in Europe HPS was more popular, but here in the states, MH was more popular for growing indoors.

By the way, as an electrical engineer, I have to correct you on your statement. Watts are not a measure of current. Current is in amps, power is in watts. In simple terms, watts = amps x volts.

From your LED ad they claim that you can get an 8' x 7.8' growing area at 24" height with 615 watts. That is simply not the case. Light falls off in energy at the inverse square of the distance from the source. If you want an even 2' maximum distance with a 20" x 11" light box, you are only going to get a grow area of 5'-8" by 4'-11". Which is similar to a 630 watt CMH bulb grow area at 3 feet with similar power use. And 2 x 315 CMH bulbs are even better 2 feet above the canopy. A comparison is here:

https://growace.com/blog/ceramic-met...-guide-review/
Old 01-08-2019, 11:38 PM

I don't think it could compete with the likes of Fluence(Osram), Migro(Luminus), Optic(Cree 3590) or Samsung!

.....Lots of good info on the Migro youtube channel.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:10 AM

I'm no electrical genius (carpenter) but I've played with LEDs for years and they are very directional with quite a narrow beam.
Most of the fixtures I see are quite small. How does it fare on the outside edges of the grow? How do they spread the light?
They're quite expensive for sure.

I bought a new 1K 2 years ago and still went mag
Old 01-09-2019, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsupernice View Post
Hi Everyone,

I saw this on amazon, they claim their 3000 watt led is equal to a 2000 MH/HPS but yet only draw 600 watt of current.

So, do you guys think this claim is true or is it propaganda and why ?

here is the link :

https://www.amazon.com/BESTVA-Spectr...07DXT9162?th=1

thanks
G `day I

LED at best efficiency out put 30 % more plant useable light than HPS .

Yes CMH are bright but not all in plant useable wavelengths .

Lots of small watt LED = lots of sources of light . Plants don`t grow toward the 1 source of light as much because lots of sources .

So a 400 LED at highest efficiancy gives as much PAR as a 600 HPS .

This 200 -300 replacing a 1 K is BS . 700 -800 possibly .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Last edited by Elmer Bud; 01-09-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
HPS is not the bulb to compare LED to any more. CMH uses less power for the same results as MH and HPS, so ceramic Metal Halide is the one to compare LED to now. And of those, the Phillips CMH bulb is the best. LED ads also seem to be mis-informative. I have yet to test an LED system that had the output as claimed. Most are inferior Chicom produced though. I know that in Europe HPS was more popular, but here in the states, MH was more popular for growing indoors.

By the way, as an electrical engineer, I have to correct you on your statement. Watts are not a measure of current. Current is in amps, power is in watts. In simple terms, watts = amps x volts.

From your LED ad they claim that you can get an 8' x 7.8' growing area at 24" height with 615 watts. That is simply not the case. Light falls off in energy at the inverse square of the distance from the source. If you want an even 2' maximum distance with a 20" x 11" light box, you are only going to get a grow area of 5'-8" by 4'-11". Which is similar to a 630 watt CMH bulb grow area at 3 feet with similar power use. And 2 x 315 CMH bulbs are even better 2 feet above the canopy. A comparison is here:

https://growace.com/blog/ceramic-met...-guide-review/
Where i live MH was so VEG and HPS for flowering. i have a friend that is producing nice quality bud with Mars Hydro Leds.

so what is the correct word for how much electricity it really needs, power draw ?

Where do you get the 615 watt number ? says it's 3000 watt and replace 2000 watt HPS/MH.

you take the power consumption basically,what does it have to do with the real light output for the plants ?

So for example if you would like to grow an area of 100 square feet in flowering how many CMH would you need for full coverage. and how much KW would it take per hour.

thanks
Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I don't think it could compete with the likes of Fluence(Osram), Migro(Luminus), Optic(Cree 3590) or Samsung!

.....Lots of good info on the Migro youtube channel.

Those are LEDS brands ?

do you have any specific model and do their claim add up ?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Bud View Post
G `day I

LED at best efficiency out put 30 % more plant useable light than HPS .

Yes CMH are bright but not all in plant useable wavelengths .

Lots of small watt LED = lots of sources of light . Plants don`t grown toward the 1 source of light as much because lots of sources .

So a 400 LED at highest efficiancy gives as much PAR as a 600 HPS .

This 200 -300 replacing a 1 K is BS . 700 -800 possibly .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Nice, but i have yet to find a LED 400 watt that is as powerful as a 600 w hps, any example ?

and what do you mean by this 200-300 replacing a 1k ? CMH or LED ? which 200-300 ?

so the best setup would be alot of leds of small power ? could you give me an example of how many leds you would use fto cover an area of 100 square feet, just trying to make an idea.

thanks for all your experts advice and your time guys
Old 01-09-2019, 07:22 PM

SPYDR 2x

Power consumption (watts): 345 typical
PPF: 860 Ámol/s
Electrical efficiency (μmol/J): 2.5

It would replace a 600w hps no problem but it's quite expensive!
Old 01-09-2019, 07:29 PM

What about the footprint?