Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 03:44 PM

Default Introducing HJ's Happy Herb

GDay friendly folk of Mr Nice forums.

As a fresh face to the forums, and an avid learner of all garden styles. I thaught I may as well start a thread to introduce myself and few of my little hobbies.

To start with, I am a fan of any opinion and this thread is not a controlled personal grow thread/diary, but a thread in which to share mine & others experiences with growing. Hopefully grabbing some guidence along the way. Feel free to post any comments/pics you may feel as I dont believe in this thread jacking and my way is the only way thing, (unless its useless bickering of corse).

Cheers
HJ
Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM

Now to get growing.

Currently in the works I have 7 different girls/moms, from 3 diff strains, Im working with.
These are all plants from seed and I have yet to flower them to cull back for select mothers. I placed 10 beans in to start, 100% germ, 7/10 girls.
We have.
*Nirvana.-White Rhino, (2 girls, one bonsai dad)
*Nirvana-NortherLights X BigBud (2 girls)
*Serious-AK47 (3 girls)

As of tonight, I have placed 6 MrN Black Widow in a cup of water and prepped up some jiffy pellets for em to go in.

Felt a little weird starting up a thread on the forum without any of Shanti masterpieces growing. LOL

Providing a home for the girls is a perpetual type garden.
There is a clone tent, DIY veg cab and a mylar flowering tent.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM

Clone tent,
-light with plain old 4x 2' 18w dual batton flouros
-100mm inline inlet
-150mm inline extract
Loaded up, I supply a few clones to some of the lads around the area, they think I got a mate in the know, LOL

Usually can get healthy roots out of a 2' netpot in soil, no hormones, in around 11 days, best so far is 7.

DIY Veg Cab,
-light with 250 MH
-150mm cooltube -150mm inline extract
-150mmx500mm phat filter carbon filter -150mm centrifugal extract
-passive intake

Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Flower Tent,
-light with 600hps as current
-150mmx500mm phat filter -150mm cool tube -150mm centifugal extract
-100mm centrifugal inlet
*soon to add another 150mm centrifugal, so cool tube and filter are seperate systems
*will add 1000hps when new fan arrives
(*NB swapped out can filter and fan in pic as were way to big. LOL)
Tent up

Vent out so far, keeps the room around 78 with a 600hps running.

Vent in
Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 PM

As I was keen to kick back into gear, fast, I threw the seds in soil for the first round. Will be flowering out these hacked up soil mums soon and starting to trial a few home made hydro systems.
First system to trial will be my DIY Happy Pots.
Loading em up.

All set and ready to veg a couple weeks. Will hack one more round of cuts of these soil girls, give the hydro girls time to put on some size, then flip the lot to flower. These hydro pots have only been loaded 4-5 days and have almost doubled in size already. The clones were loaded way early @ only 7 days in vermiculite/perlite mix with the biggest roots on the best cut only 4". All good, havent lost any yet and a quick scrape back of the hydrotron shows masses of healthy new roots.
In the Happy Pots we have 3 NLxBB on the far edge, 3 Ak47 in the front, then we have 5 of the moms and 3 clones in here.

4 days later

I have put the rest outside with a few Ducksfoots and Sativas. At the moment the veg cab is turned off as Im vegging in the tent. Once the next batch of cuts are fully ready, best ones will be put in coco for moms and put in the veg cab, the tent will be swung into flower as soon as Im happy with the cannopy density and growth on hydro. his is the Happy Pots trial run so will see.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM

Default A quick DIY to the Happy Pots.

Recently I have had a little spare time, and on one of my adventures to the local hardware I came across some interesting pots.
I grabbed a few, had some ideas and insperation, so gots busy building a system.

After studying a little and the studying some more, the new drainage pits then gave me a few new ideas. I ended up witth this design. It was vitually a combination of Krusties, So Quicks and basic bubbler methods.
Obviuosly the quantities of the system parts will vary depending on how big you wish to run the plants, I'd believe there is a good chance of great yeilds with medium sized plants.

Lets get started, grab a fresh cuppa/beer, chop a bowl and get comfy.

Now
First up, we gather the gear

Items needed,
resevoir
pots, these are 12-15ltr drainage pits for plumbing.
19mm hose, grommets, barbed T's and90's
water pump,
6mm feed lines, straight barbes and T's
air pump
air lines and stones
media, (I am using clay balls)
Tools needed,
Drill & asst size bits
7/8 or 22mm spade bit
sharp blade, sharpsblade
sandpaper
tape and square (if your fussy)
kettle

Allrighty then.
Have a quick session, settle in & get started.
First of all we gots to get some holes in the bottom of the top or inner pot.

Bottoms Done.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM

Throw a drill bit in big enough to slip an airline and feed line through. Drill two holes just below the rim of the inner pot, right about the level the media will be filled to.

NB*heres were a little practical experience with other systems came in handy, with drainage of the rootzone being helped out a little. I drilled the holes out to 1/4" (6mm) and also drilled a few holes around the rim for tie and training points.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 PM

Now we can work on the Bottom or drainage pots.
Take the spade bit and drill your holes.

Because I am using 19mm to drain, I have staright barbs, t's and 90's to suit and will need a 22mm or 7/8" spade bit.
Next trim any dags or excess off with a blade then neaten with sandpaper so it smooth, no dags or sharp bits.

Pop grommets and barbs in.

Now fit, hose to suit, I have found heating the kettle, then pouring the hot water into a container helps heaps. Just dip the ends in for a couple secs and they will slip on no fuss.

Sweet
Old 01-13-2009, 04:43 PM

Cool, we got whats starting to resemble a system.

Time for a few more hot ones.
Next up, we'll make some feed rings. These are not nessesary but I like maken and usen em so.
Feed line parts.

To make the pump manifold I took some half inch poly and cut about a 10cm piece. I then took an end plug and capped it, pierced two holes, (would put more holes for more pots etc), and fit 6mm straight barbs.
From here, I took a couple lengths of 6mm feeder line to reach the pots and made feed rings for each pot. Each feeder has three drippers and was simple to make. Just take 6mm line, cut to small langhts, join together as so.

Now its a simple matter of putting together.
Feed the air line through the top hole allowed in the inner pot, then down through the hole in the bottom.
Connect airstone
Slip airstone and inner pot inside the bottom pot
Fill innerpot with hyfrotron
Feed nutrient line through designated hole and connect dripper ring.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:50 PM

Set up and looking like something.
I have used an old res lid for an example here but will build a stand for the pots when running them. The stand will help out with supporting the pots and plants whilst still allowing the lid of the res to come off and the ferts to be cheacked or changed.
The plan is to run the feed pump constantly and hopefully the air stone should help with o2. Otherwise I will run it like a dutch pot and feed 15mins every 2hours or so whilst the res as the bottom keeps feeding between nute scheduals.

(*NB, the old Euro, or Dutch pots in front, easilly a great system IMHO)
Easily expanded.

View of the 2", 50mm mini res in the base of each pot, this will hopefully act as a spa bath for the roots.

Now, as you will note in the fist pics in the tent, where the Happy pots are set up, you will note the pots sit intermdiately up the res. I have them on some home made polystyreen/foam stands I made. These are set at a height where the top level of the res is slightly below bottom of the inner pot.