LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
herbmister

wow thats like some kind of masterclass in bubblers
great job how much do you recon you saved there

a 4pot systerm over here is about £150 ish

keep it up
Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 PM

I guess the intentions will be to get these moms sorted, then intergrate a perpetual style grow.
Once the soil is out of there, Id say I may throw 4 rows of 4 of the happy pots in there. Set up with 2 rows of 4 pots to a res, and res's placed out of the tent. To fill the gap up the side, I may throw in two DIY made e&f trays with running SOG clones.
Will sort of look like.
2 rows of 4 happy pots up against the laft wall, 2 e&f trays end for end under the bulb, 2 rows of 4 happy pots up against the right wall.
The first happy pots to be loaded, 2 weeks later the other happy pots, 2 more weeks one of the trays, 2 weeks on the second tray loaded, week 8 start the rotation again.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM

Default Quick DIY E&F Trays

To do this, I went on a mission into town, through some hardware stores atc and into my fav. Bunnings, then to the hydro store for some fittings.
I found some trays that fit in the cab almost perfect so here we go.
All these parts and dimensions etc are just from my head, nothing is set in stone so feel free to throw in some handy hints or tips if you feel, also feel free to switch up the ideas to suit whatever your needs.

First off, I got the gear together, packed a bowl, made a cuppa

Items aquired.
*2 x 65ltr Tubs
*2 x 27ltr Tubs
*22 x 6" netpots/ hydrotron
*2 x powerhead pumps
*4 x 19mm barbed fittings, with grommets.
*2 x overflow valve fittings, (optional, I just didnt want hydrotron blockages)
*19mm hose
*Air pump, lines & stones, (optioned for these to keep res/nutie fresh, might switch out for small powerheads at a later date.)

Sweet, get back into that bowl, ahh thats where I put it.

OK.
First up, I placed pots in trays and decided best spot to position the fill & overflow barbs.
I decided on 11 pots a tray with these so had a spare gap in the middle row, both in front and back. I decided if I put em both at the same end, I can slide the top tray forward to cheak, empty or refill.

Marked Out and ready to start.

Once there drilled out, its a matter of making sure of a tight fit and no dags. Clean up extra dags with a sharp blade or sandpaper.

Fit one barb in for the filler/drain line and another for the overflow drain.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:06 PM

Here we have the finished fittings. On the left we have the overflow valve fitting, on the right, the fill/drain. The overflow fitting actually slides into the fill/drain fitting as they have the same barb and grommet assembly.

Next we measure up the distence between the powerhead and the barbs.

Cut the 19mm hose to suit. Dip ends of hose in some hot water and slip onto barb and pump.
All connected.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 PM

All is looking sweet, so pack a few more and lets give her a trial run.
All rigged up and flowing.

Nice water level.

All works well.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 PM

GDay Herb, cheers for the kudos man.
These Happy Pots are probly more complicated then they need to be but Im one of those basterds that gets an idea and has to do it or at least try.
So far I have the six set up, but I have the materials to make 16. Also have 16 lids to convert em to normal bubblers just incase.

So far virtual costs have been.
*$10/pit, 2 pits per sight,
*90c/19mm Groomet, 2 per sight
*75c/19mm 90 as needed
*$1.10/19mm T as needed
*$18/15mtr.s 19mm hose
*$35 for a water pump,
*$1/mtr 6mm feed line
*$? asst 6mmT's straight barbs (can vary depending on how or if you make your feed ring and how many sites you have, I had planty spare.
*$1/stone
*$2.50mtr (I've used good silicon I think, better than usual) air hose
*$300 Air pump, (this will vary drastically with choice of pump) mine does 20 sites and is silent, paid extra for quality.
*$50/bag hydrotron, does 4 pots.
*24/ res (obviously this can vary too)
Now I had 90% of the gear already like hose, fittings, grommets, air & water pumps, stones, res, hydrotron etc. SO real only expence has been the $10 a pit, $20 a site type thing and I definately prefer to use these as they are so hardy (about 4mm thick). In the same shop they got normal flimsy plastic type garden pots, same size, have the normal drain holes, (so useless for hydro anyways), but are $13.

Hope I havent boared you all to death, great to meat you all, Im somewhat of an insomniac and dont sleep, so should be around a little.
Cheers
HJ
Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM
barletta

Happy, this is a KICK ASS THREAD! I'm learning, and I'm sure lots of other people are too. You lay out the setps and equipment very well. This summer, I intend to start messin with hydro a lil, and I'm SURE that I'll end up referencing this thread a shitload of times
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 PM

MAN thats some cool McGyver skills you got there... I'm all cack handed myself so am double impressed
Old 02-22-2009, 04:16 PM

Recently a few things changed around the house. Had a change in the rental agreement which now meens inspections, so have reverted back to cab grows. Will get some pics up soon of new setup.

As it stands, currently have one DIY e&f tray nearly 2 weeks into flower. I was hoping for a good compact perpetual SOG style grow and this being my first real tight confine SOG, its a learnin curve.
This tray of White Rhino cuts spent 2 weeks under fluoros from cut, then one week in veg, at 11 days from flip in pics.

From now on, to keep the SOG thing better, I will throw cuts straight to 12/12 once rooted. There will be two trays, side by side in a flower cab under a 400hps. The idea is to offset them around 4-5 weeks so I can pull a tray a month type thing. Keeping bonsai moms under fluoros, then moving specific moms upto the 250mh beforeh for good sized cuts when needed. I should be able to mono crop each tray with which ever flavor selected, well fingers crossed anyways.
Will be taking cuts of this NLxBB mom on Sunday for the 2nd tray to be loaded in around 2 weeks.

Veging along under fluoros for the time being is some young Black Widows. One is a freak that started alternating nodes and showing trifolate growth after the 3rd leaf set, even the branches are showing the trait. Hopefully it will be a girl and her clones will follow suit.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Thumbs up

Fabulous set-up HappyJay, very impressive and informative thread all round, thanks for sharing, i'm certain this will inspire many of us, good luck. Pepè