Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post
So another question:
If I take a cutting, apply rooting gel and no tap water, nothing else, can I
throw that cutting under 12/12 directly, before it has rooted for sure, and will it basically root and start flowering simultaneously so I can use that method to sex them? (this would be another plus for the rockwool cubes as it would just cost me 15 cents per cube for this)
Of course. You can take the cuts and put them directly in a 12/12 light cycle, they will root and within 2/3 weeks they will start to bloom...

I did not understand the problem concerning the labeling of plugs... I simply use some pieces of cut straws... practically the same as the method of packaging the auctions... and stick the straw in a corner of the plug

with regard to rock wool: many suggest to remove the plastic because it can incubate the algae.
4x4 cubes are not suitable for germination or for cuts, if they are too big they remain damp and fresh (even using a heating pad), while if it is smaller it dries faster, remains hot, the air can reach all sides, the roots come out faster and you get more (air pruning)
Use 1x1 (2,5cm.x2,5) cubes.

keep things simple... many times it's the best thing

sorry for my poor English... I hope to be at least understandable

Last edited by Efesto; 12-03-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 AM

The jiffy plugs, I really tried to stick something in there for labelling ...

But then I have to rip the netting apart on the top and there really isn't much space to stick anything in there. Takes long, didn't leave me satisfied..

I had truly hoped the 4x4 cubes are the right size, since they are the first that come with a plastic outside that can be labeled ... I will still give them a go but it sounds about right to me that they are too big for seedlings or clones. Makes sense what you say that they stay too damp and can't dry out fast enough for air to reach the roots ...
Which also surprises me a bit, since the jiffy plugs were about the same size as the 4x4s ... maybe a BIT smaller...

So I probably need to build a new aero cloner ...

One of the reasons I haven't used mine yet is because it "only" has 28 slots. I need something more around 40 slots in order to do my pheno hunting...
So I either have to build a second aero cloner or build a bigger one.

I think for now I just get it running and take cuts of the 28 "best looking" ones and call it a day.

Just have to figure out how I handle the whole pre-sexing thing.
Like I said, have avoided it so far because I had about 90% success rate by identifying the females through their preflowers but that was before I did topping and LST. This time around, I find it very hard to determine which ones are female by preflowers.

I gave them another week in the 1 gal pots, hoping to stress them into throwing preflowers. The fan leafs on the lower nodes have already yellowed and died off on many of the more mature plants. I defoliated a few days ago, eliminating all the sick/spent leafs.

Let's see, I let them be for about 3 days now after giving them a light top watering. I believe they will be relatively dry now, so I will go have another look.

But it is high time that they get transplanted to the 5 gals. Looks like I will be quite busy this weekend.

On a brighter node, I figured out my "worm problem".
I was pushing off starting some worm buckets for a while now. I think any organic grower needs some worm buckets eventually...
But I have big issues getting the right kinds of buckets for all kinds of things around here

So I put it off for the longest time ...

Well I might not need to make dedicated worm buckets after all. Would still have to buy earth worm castings (but have a local worm guy) but the worms, they always charged way too much for them imho.

Now I have my organic soil sitting in 3 large tubs, waiting to be put to use in the pots.
These 3 large tubs were mixed, watered and left to compost for at least a month. 2 of them have been composting for about 3 months now.
And they were all "infected" with worms.
When I sprinkled some malted barley on top of the soil and watered it in with a microbe innoculant tea (ewc, molasses, crushed malted barley), the worm population absolutely exploded in the following days.
The malted barley was quickly, entirely consumed within a few weeks.

Now when I put the soil into my pots, I had way too many worms in each pot. I am talking like 20 worms in a 1 gal pot...
I believe they escape bit by bit when it gets overcrowded and then die out, outside of the soil.
But each pot has at least a few survivers crawling around in it.

Anyway, back to the worm situation in the 3 big tubs with soil:
I realized they overpopulate basically, so I have a surplus of worms in each tub.

So I just use all the soil from one tub for my plants/pots and then I mix a new batch of soil in the empty tub, dig out a couple hand full of worms from one of the remaining two tubs and throw them into the tub with the fresh soil mix. Sprinkle some malted barley on top, water it all (ideally with the microbe innoculant tea) and within a few days/weeks they worms are just as numerous in the new tub as they were in the old one.

And boy do they break down the soil. It smells/feels like pure, rich compost when I finally take it out of the tubs and put it in the pots. Sometimes I think I should further "cut" it with perlite. But I think it will be just right for flowering. Still drains quite well, no issues there.

Last edited by Broseidon; 12-06-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efesto View Post
in my opinion you complicate your life using rockwool... personally I would recommend the Eazy Plug, the price is more or less the same as the rockwool, 100% organic, pH 5,5/6.0 and EC 1,0 stable and they self-regulate the air-water relationship...
very easy to use... fill a tray with a little water, put down the Eazy Plug and wait for a couple of minutes to absorb the water... you do not need to wring them out or adjust them their water content... they self-regulate, as long as the cells containing the Eazy Plugs have the hole on the free bottom...

Thanks for the information about the Eazy Plug.
It looks Great!
If I can locate them nearby, I'm going to try them.

I like the looks of their entire system.
Like you said. Keep it simple. It usually works out for the best.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:43 PM

yes, it's really a great product

I still have to try the complete system... I only use the eplugs and the eazybloks and I'm very satisfied, in a very short time I get a tons of roots!

I am in Europe, I don't know if they are easily found overseas... here they are widespread and from what I saw in Austria (where cuttings are legally sold, CloneLab-Hortilab etc.) it seems that most companies are adopting these eazyplugs...
looking on Instagram some test log, I saw that there is an importer... try to check https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/eazyplug/

Last edited by Efesto; 12-08-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Like I said, didn't try the ez plugs yet but did try out a 50 pack of root it plugs.

And had worse success cloning in those than I had in jiffy plugs ...

So I canned that system.

It's looking more and more like I will just stick with the DIY aero cloner I built. I was going away from it again because of space constraints and it "only" having 28 spots when I would like to have about 40. Might just build a second aero cloner but then where do I put it? hmmm

I'll figure something out. Gonna try the rockwool cubes some time in between just with plain tap water and see what happens.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post
Like I said, didn't try the ez plugs yet but did try out a 50 pack of root it plugs.

And had worse success cloning in those than I had in jiffy plugs ...

So I canned that system.

It's looking more and more like I will just stick with the DIY aero cloner I built. I was going away from it again because of space constraints and it "only" having 28 spots when I would like to have about 40. Might just build a second aero cloner but then where do I put it? hmmm

I'll figure something out. Gonna try the rockwool cubes some time in between just with plain tap water and see what happens.
To be honest, the aero cloner sounds like a gimmick.
I get damn near 100% success rate with clones OR seeds using Rockwool.

So can you.
Plus you can clone hundreds @ a time if you want.
All you need is cubes, tray, dome and rooting powder.

Maybe I will do a thread on my cloning technique.
There are probably hundreds out there already and I would just be repeating them.
If anyone would be interested, let me know and I will make a thread..
Old 08-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Banned

very easy to use... fill a tray with a little water, put down the Eazy Plug and wait for a couple of minutes to absorb the water... you do not need to wring them out or adjust them their water content... they self-regulate, as long as the cells containing the Eazy Plugs have the hole on the free bottom...