MNS Forums

MNS Forums (https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/)
-   14. Indoor (https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/14-indoor/)
-   -   Minimum hours for VEG (https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/14-indoor/16296-minimum-hours-veg.html)

59lespaul 02-18-2018 02:34 PM

Minimum hours for VEG

What have you found to be the minimum amount of light to keep plants vegging, and not flowering.

I figure 14 hours.

I also know its plant/strain dependent. Just a generalization.

I'm going to start plants on 24 hours to get them large enough to make cuttings to put outside,, and will reduce the light from 24, to 18, to 14 of a period of weeks.

PlantManBee 02-18-2018 02:55 PM

It is UNINTERRUPTED night hours that trigger the plants. Right now I am trying to slow down a group of plants and they receive 12/12 BUT there is a 30 minute lights on in the middle of the night hours and it successfully keeps them in veg.

Seed Collector 02-18-2018 03:04 PM

Not exactly sure on the minimun.

I would recomend starting seeds @16 hours until they are put out.

If you start @ 24 you risk a good chance of the plants triggering and starting to flower only to have to revert again.

If that happens it will cost more time than the 24 hour light period made up for.

16 hours light and they slide right outside in late spring and keep on growing ;)

CannaFish 02-18-2018 04:08 PM

“Continue to spur a running horse.”

“As you get the rhythm you discern how to win.”

59lespaul 02-18-2018 04:19 PM

Was going to use clones. Not seeds.

Will start plants/seeds now. Sex them, and then veg them large enough for cuttings. Veg cuttings to 2 feet ect. Put outside.

The seeds I'm going to use are

Dominion Seed Company.

Dominion Skunk
Chemdog91 VA x SSSC Sk1 x Skelly Hashplant x SSSC Sk1

Granny Skunk
VA Afghan x Skelly x SSSC Sk1

Sis Skunk
Chems Sister x Skelly x SSSC Sk1.

Mr Nice SSH... Already have the mother for this 1.

Coastal Seeds x Puck Yeah
NL1 x Puck ( Skelly ) Skelly is also known as Puck.

I want to put around 40-50 clones of each 1 out.

Broseidon 02-19-2018 07:41 AM

What is the reasoning behind wanting to reduce hours of light LesPaul?

If you want to slow them down a bit, I think manipulating temps (lowering) could be more successful than reducing light hours.

If you want to better acclimate them for outdoors, it could be useful, I agree.

The minimum light hours depend on the strain. What is more essential is the uninterrupted hours and consistency overall.

Going to 14 hours has been done before but I believe it has not brought much success in any form as it has never been established as a useful tool or growing method (there are no "I veg 14/10" fan clubs :D).

Growstone 02-19-2018 09:14 AM

Better bet is to leave on 24 or whatever time your veg area is set to and wait until last month of spring to plant outside, if going into ground..
Edit; for lat few points either side of 40. Earlier at 36 lower later at 44 plus..

59lespaul 02-19-2018 10:59 PM

Heres the idea.

Start seeds now, sex them, veg large enough for cuttings, root them, and match the OUTSIDE Light/Dark Period so they don't flower when you set them out.

#1 This is for.... Starting seeds now...
#2 Vegging large enough to sex. This can be 24 hours. 2 x 1000w Hortilux HPS
#3 When large enough to make cuttings, Cut the LIGHTs BACK to 18 hours.
#4 When Rooted, Cut back to 15- 16 hours, and blast clones with light. 2-3 1000w Hortilux HPS in 1 gallon pots for a good root when set out.

April 15 there is
13H x 12M light

May 15 there is
14H x 16M

The MAXIMUM Amount of Daylight where I am is 14 Hours x 51 minutes. June 17-25. Though the seconds get shorter after the 21st or so.

What is the best light scheme to keep them from flowering when set outside in mid APRIL?

15-16 Hours ???:D

Growstone 02-19-2018 11:25 PM

Remember your not getting bigger plants going early... longer they are out the more chance of being found... quicker stronger growth planting in a warmer ground with longer days.. otherwise if they need to get out, sync to daylight.. they getting full sun morning and night or shaded either of those times? earlier you go into ground, the longer a wait before she settles in..

Elmer Bud 02-19-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Growstone (Post 230224)
Remember your not getting bigger plants going early... longer they are out the more chance of being found... quicker stronger growth planting in a warmer ground with longer days.. otherwise if they need to get out, sync to daylight.. they getting full sun morning and night or shaded either of those times? earlier you go into ground, the longer a wait before she settles in..

G `day GS

I agree , in a place with prohibition .
In a place where its legal , pre veg and get as big as possible for max profits .
20 pound plants are do able .

I`d start on 18 / 6 so the plant is used to a dark period . 24 to 14 /10 might cause the hormones to do freaky things .

Thanks for sharin

EB .