Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2018, 12:29 AM

Default HID or LED

Hi MNS, I am requesting some knowledge from the group. I have always grown using HID bulbs but, as times are changing I have heard many good things about LED lighting. I have a few questions, please feel free to let me know if the questions are flawed from the gate. #1. It is my understanding that LED is "BASICALLY" just as good as HID as far as flower quality goes, the only thing is that the light does not penatrate the canopy as intense as HID lighting does. Which would make me second guess running LED with Sativa dom gear. #2 Could anyone with experience share any info on which companys make quality LED lighting, I am interested in running LED because potentially I could have twice the light output for the same wattage use. #3. I have heard it said that there is some UV output to HID lighting where as LED does not. any info will be appreciated. I would also like to add that I know there has been some problems with trash talk on the forum lately and would like to say that I really appreciate everybodys input. I recognize the abundance of knowledge here and understand that there is different strokes for different folks. Some people styles of growing differ from others but thats what makes this special. I for one am glad to be apart of this community and thats about it.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:21 PM

I prefer using LED lights over HID for security and economical reasons. HID lightning is highly efficient, but I rather compromise a bit of efficiency for avoiding to put my house in fire or getting high electricity bills. Another possibility that you could use in the vegetative state are CFLs.

Hope this helps,

tk
Old 01-20-2018, 09:51 PM

Hey triplep

as a Cob led user here. I do prefer a COB setup above HID the trick is running them on a low current so they get very effecient even way beyond a HID setup. My best score on HID/HPS where almost a Gram/Watt lighting the first round with the Cobs i scored 1.4 gram/watt. Because they are more effecient than a HID setup you can run fewer watts and have the same outcome in grams. Therby comes lesser heat to take out the room. Add some far red and your golden i think. Me personnally dont add any uv light and they do fine without.

I would stay away from those "disco" like led lamps they dont give you the result your looking and a HID will perform better all the times.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:18 PM

I use 60+w Sq/ft regardless of source.

I use 1 x 1000w Hortilux HPS per 4 x 4, in both Veg, and Flower, and usually grow 1-2 plants in 20 gallon containers, and with the right strain I get 2lbs with no CO2 ect.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your time and info always appreciated. LED sounds great is there any recommendations on what are good brands. It is hard to wade through all the sales pitches on google lol.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:59 PM

Tk I have never tried a whole rum under cfl always used them for cloning. Would love to hear how results came from a whole run

Thanks Byorn do you have recommendations for any specific brand of LED

Lespaul. I have never ran 1000 watts always stuck with 600 Watts. But if Iím going to move into the world of sativas it would probably be wise to move up into a more powerful bulb. Thatís kinda my idea with this thread. My next grow is going to be some of MNS haze crosses and some gorilla glue crosses. Im interested to hear if anyone is growing satís with LED curious to know about light penetration with them. If they are not recommended I think I will move on up to 1000 watts
Old 01-21-2018, 03:28 AM

I'll echo what Byorn said about LED COBs. Stay away from the blurple lights. I built my own COBs and you probably could too; in Massachusetts I can build them for about $1.10/W right now. If you have someone else build them, look for Citizen or Velux COBS, passive cooling via pin heat sinks, and Meanwell LED drivers. I'm also a true believer in flashing far red at lights out to shorten flower time while still allowing a full 12 hours of photosynthesis per day, even for haze hybrids. I believe my 640W COB setup is equal to a 1,000W HPS or MH. My very first grow I pulled 1.5 lb in a 4'x4' tent (37.5 W/sf), or 1.1 g/W using COBs. And because there's so much less heat to deal with, you'll spend less money buying and operating cooling equipment.

I'd also like to read a good explanation about light "penetration," and why HPS and MH are superior to COBS in this regard. Until then I call bullshit.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:58 PM

Thanks Marcus. It seems the world of LED has progressed rapidly and I am out of my depth. I researched what you and byorn were talking about and I really need to learn more electrical skills. but it is exciting to see how far LED has come. I am wondering if anyone has done side by side comparison of HID and LED to see if there is any difference in phenotypic expressions like flavor, scent, color of flowers. It seems to me from what I have been reading that cob Led gives the user a higher degree of control of his spectrum that one can tailor make for his specific needs. I am definitely interested in this but before I take the plunge I need to educate myself further. @Marcus are all of your grows run under cob led
Old 01-21-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplep View Post
Tk I have never tried a whole rum under cfl always used them for cloning. Would love to hear how results came from a whole run
You can combine CFLs with LEDs in the vegetative state... Highly recommended!
Old 01-22-2018, 03:18 AM

Heres 1 branch, and 1 bud, from 1 plant under a 1000w Hortilux HPS. The Branch weighed in at 40 grams Dry. The 1 bud weighed 20 grams. Plant was vertical 3 feet, and then trained Horizontally another 4 feet. At least 7 feet all together, and the plant can get even more if you use a 30 gallon container.

This is a DNA Kosher Kush clone, and the 1 plant yielded 25 oz in a 20 gallon container of Promix BX 70 days flowering.

The branch is on my guitar case, so you can see how big/long it is. It is 1 of many from 1 Plant. No Topping, but is Bent, Shaken, a constant breeze, even with Light Out, and Trained from an early age.

Really powerful stuff. Weve had this cut for 6 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20160912_17_10_50_Pro_zps0xjrucyj.jpg (170.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by 59lespaul; 01-22-2018 at 03:25 AM.