Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Question Questions on Bulb, ph Meter, and Vegetative Lighting

Hi,

I've got some basic questions.

One - Bulb
I have a 1,000 watt ballast. It occurred to me my bulb has gone through 5 grows and perhaps I should get another and let this be a backup. Oh, I read that using the kind of bulb for vegetative for flowering as well is a better way to go and that is what I last did.

Just wondering on suggestions of what bulb to get. It needs to be a one-sided bulb.

Here's a link to the ballast I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two - pH Meter
I think mine broke and it was pretty expensive. (When I try to calibrate it, its attempt is a setting much higher than what it is supposed to be. For example, it sits at ~8.4 for the 7.0 calibration fluid.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I guess I'll reorder the same, but thought I'd ask first (about other options).

Three - Lighting During Vegetative
I fell upon a discussion on this and was surprised by the variation of suggestions, some with light off for a while. One popular suggestions was 18 on and 6 hours off. Given this is such a costly portion of a grow, just thought to ask some opinions.

Thanks!

Tony (o2)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:29 PM

Hi Tony.
If you have used the globe you have for about a year, it would be losing efficiency, so may suit you to replace it.
I use Philip's son-t+ on a single ended ballast, and find them to be good value.
There are many brands that can sell you a good quality, fair priced lamp for that ballast.
With your ph tester can you adjust it?
That is why you test them regularly.
With the veg period, you can play around with it a bit, and see what suits your strain.
I like to veg at 19 hours, then flip to 13.
Bring the time down by 15 minutes a week.
After 6 weeks of bloom you have 11:30 light, 12:30 dark.
I found with dwarf plants this fattens them well.
Before that I bloomed 12:12, and vegged anywhere from 16,18,19,20 or 24 hours a day.
Good luck, and enjoy your gardening.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:15 PM

Drops don't need calibration and easy to use if your not colourblind or using dark nutrients..
Old 10-30-2017, 11:49 PM

Tony dude,

Check out 1000bulbs dot com for lamps man.
The horticulture section will yield you a nice selection of bulbs/lamps at VERY nice prices.

I buy all my facilities lighting products from them and have for at least 5 years now, btw.
Amazing service and quality through and through.

Hortilux lamps for the price a hydro shop will sell no name glowers.... just saying.

Can't wait to see what you tackle next bro.

Stay hazed
Jake

Stay Hazed,
Jake
Old 10-31-2017, 02:55 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks all.

I am going with the Hortilux on the site you recommended, Jake. Nice reviews, by the way.

Now I need to settle on a pH meter.

Growstone, yeah the nutrients are a tad dark. Never used drops, have no idea about them, but thanks!

Northcliffe, can't calibrate my meter. I think it's hosed. I may have overlooked evaporated water to the extent the sensor was dry for a bit.

Thanks again, all!
Old 10-31-2017, 03:59 PM

I welcome any pH meter recommendations!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:04 PM

Thank you for your advice on the parameters. I was afraid to do the wrong thing with my plants but with this I see that everything is going very well. By the way, I usually buy my seeds in a grow shop where I live in Spain, if anyone can tell me which are the best marijuana seeds for the climate of my country.

Last edited by juan789; 11-03-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:29 AM

Hiya mate. Yes, you need a new bulb. Assuming you're talking about HPS, they'll do about 3 grows properly. Yes, grolux-type "full spectrum" bulbs are pretty good all the way through.

Did your meter come with instructions? Some better quality meters have multi-point calibration and yours might be trying to calibrate at a higher point and you may need to push a button more than once or something.
Or it may just be fucked.
Some meters have sensors that can be changed, some are more "disposable", (6 months +). If you soak yours in water or sensor fluid it might be ok.

For me, 18-6 is fine for veg.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:49 PM

Are you buying the hortilux hps or the dual arc?
Old 11-06-2017, 02:07 AM

Thumbs up

Hi magilla,

I got the hps:
LU1000S-HTL 1000 Watt - E25 - HPS Grow Light - 145,000 Lumens - ANSI S52 - Hortilux HX66785

Hi bulldog,

Yeah, I think it's fucked. I wouldn't mind a recommendation. If I don't get one, I think I'll get the same one. I do need a waterproof one as I am not careful enough with one that is not.

Thanks!

o2b