Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 07:53 PM

Hello MNS family!!

Back again, Quite the mood wrecker today.. when i saw root rot again. The bennies are in and the battle has begun. Getting really sick of it, last round it just popped up after years of doing DWC, and some how i cant get rid of it. Did everything i possible could do.. temps are in range, fresh water, fresh nutes, plenty of air, all new equipment all sterilized only thing that helped where beneficial bacterial. The Nordles did overgrow it, and doing just fine as is. I hope it will be the same with this round so far the plants doing fine.

Here`s some pictures. @Day14

That will be it for today. Time for a smoke!

Good day all!
Old 08-08-2017, 07:39 PM

have you thought about going the "dark side"

without benies, mushies, bacteria and stuff ...
but instead
H2O2 or chlorine - like the guy who used poolshock

the plants dont mind 50ppms of chlorine, but thats already enough to kill all spores and their resulting "work"

you dont have to worry about rez temps anymore and by that of all rotting issues too
Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 PM

@deran

hey thanks for stopping by!

I did thought of it and still do. If i will loose this plants because of the rot then i`m going to try it. But have to admit that i don`t have a nice feeling by going that route.

the rez temps are just fine 19,5celcius

Just have to see what it will do the next couple of days.

Greetings!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:16 PM

Cool. I have some Grail Widow I'll pop sometime soon, but I'm trying to decide if I'm going to renew my lease here or not. As soon as I think there is a 9-month stretch to do all I want to do, they'll pop.

I am actually writing though to ask about the Cree COB setup you are using. Is it a DIY unit(s)? I run some Illumitex panels and they work great, but there are a few things I think could be improved.

I'll be watching.

Oh, just a thought here on the root rot:

I suspect when someone is sanitizing the shit out of their stuff using chlorine and alcohol and still getting pathogens, it may be some form of mycobacteria that is either the culprit, of some other pathogen is hiding "within" a clump of mycobacteria. We were studying the Mycobacterium for tuberculosis and how to effectively clean it up in microbiology when this occurred to me. Chlorine and other common cleaners don't touch it because it has a waxy coat. Strong vinegar, Lysol and some phenol acids will cut through the stuff. It has worked for numerous people.

good luck.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Greetings PlantManBee!

I sign up right away when i see you start up those GrailWidow! Just to bad that there is not much info or grow logs about them. Makes me wonder why.

Yup, it`s a DIY cree Cob setup, actually got two of them and a few single ones. It`s made of 6 cobs on computer heatsinks. The 6 cobs can run together about 350W most of the time i dimm them down a bit so they run @ 250/300watt with 170Lumens/watt

I`m not familiar with that brand Illumitex when i google them it looks like those small led panels with many single leds on them? I was told to stay away from them because there inefficiency. What`s your gram/watt ratio with those panels? mine can do 1,8gram/watt even saw some guy on rollitup hitting the 2g/w with the same setup the best i got so far where 1,5g/w

For me Thats still about 1,5 as effective compared to Normal HPS where i got around 1g/w With the cobs i also have less heat to deal with. My room can run on 750w Led Cobs and is easy cooled down with a 500m3 in summertime.

Anything else you want to know? or need some help setting up your own light fixture? just ask!

here is a picture with more of the light setup vissible,

Thanks for your thoughts on the root rot issue. That Vinegar story is the first time i read of it. But Easy and cheap so i will keep it in mind as an option for the battle. Any advise how much to use per Liter or gallon?

Good day all!!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 PM

dont want to ruin the thread, just a short link regarding COBs , maybe it will help somebody

https://www.pro-emit.de/

havent found the link to the english translation ... but google will translate it
Old 08-09-2017, 07:19 PM

Nice light bro...love a good led set up.
Not to be a dick but you must make a choice and either run bennies from the start or peroxide as deran has suggested. Leaving it to chance as you have is not a wise decision.
I suspect that it was in there from the start or something else was off as the plants never looked to be thriving.
Take it from a vet, ditch the dwc...there are so many more negatives and really no positives. Whilst appearing simpler than a media based system everything needs to be on point for the plants to thrive, there is no buffer.. I've seen enough tears shed with dwc systems to fill a large reservoir....
Old 08-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Hey Byorn. Fortunately for me, I've not had any rot problems for many many moons. I don't keep a "sterile" setup, mine is loaded with "bugs". I've just advised a few people that a different cleaner may kill the target organism and I've heard back of success. I would probably use the vinegar straight from the bottle to clean unless you are using horticultural grade. BTW, I think that the people I advised all used lysol. I just looked up an article about mycobacterium that also suggested vinegar.

Thanks for the COB/cree info. BTW, Illumitex works GREAT and seem efficient to me. It's layout, user serviceability, ease of transport, and a few business issues I have with them. If you can get them at a fair price they are high-quality units IMO/E.Have fun with the grow!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Greetings deran! thx for the addition.

Greetings professorjj!

thanks man! I love them to never want back to Hps.

There is a good chance that you`re right about those bennies, to late. My first thought or intention was to first sterilize everything with the peroxide, let that run in the system for 3/4days as i read the peroxide should be gone by then and then add the bennies. That would be before the roots even hit the rez. I just forgot about it as i where busy rebuilding the room, it just slipped my mind. quite dumb

I did think of it with the angel heart girls and luckilly they go without the root rot

I heard it before why go for dwc?! In the past i did grows on soil, even had some decent grows with it, but also shitty ones. Most of the time the soil came with bugs in them. So some years back decided to try dwc or hydro for that matter.From the first round it was a succes i thought, more yield with lesser plants. Being able to see the root growth is really nice i think. And I can fill up the rez once in the week if i want to without having trouble with under or over watering them. The 12/12 system normally gives me plants that start flowering around week 5 from start and get quite bigger compared to what i saw on soil and i like lesser plants authority wise. So thats what makes that i like the dwc. Before last round i never had problems like this and still hope i get control over it again, i just like working like with the dwc. I think it comes to what the person self likes to work with.

why do you like soil or media based so much? have you also done dwc? i`m always wiling to keep learning and maybe i just did somethings wrong in my time with soil runs.

Just been taking care of them, and by the looks of the roots the bennies are doing their job and are fighting the shit out of them. Thank God! or the bennies the blackish color is almost gone and i saw some new root growth as well. Gives me hope again.

keep you guys updated!

greetings!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:47 PM

Default Pulling up a chair

Hi Byorn,
love that lighting rig you got there, could you specify which COBs you got running there? 3070,3590?
keep up the good work!