Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2017, 11:20 PM

Default Questions about veg/clone cabinet I'm building

Hello MNS,

I've made a preliminary design of and started to build a small cabinet in which I will keep clones, germinate seeds, grow seedlings, and keep a few mother or father plants. My objective is to keep it relatively simple and low maintenance, and use low nute concentrations and low light wattage to mostly keep the plants in stasis until I need them.

I took my first clones of my Strawberry Cough grow and got them to root and now they're getting too big (and yellow) for the cloner, so I'd like to veg them out for a bit. If any of the plants I'm growing turn out to be worthy of further consideration, I'll have the option of running a backup or keeping the plant around for a while, otherwise they'll get culled. This will only be for my personal rec use so no need to keep big plants for clone production.

Key elements of the veg cabinet design/construction:

Light
  • Light will be three 48 W T8 (4' fluorescent fixtures). May upgrade to LED in the future.
  • Size of cabinet approx 4'6" x 2'4" x 4' tall.
  • Construction framed with 2x2 lumber and skinned with 1/2" rigid foil-faced insulation board.
  • Computer fan controlled by Arduino with temp/humidity sensor for ventilation. Inlet air enters high and passes over light fixtures to pick up heat before flowing over plants, exit fan on bottom. This will be in my basement and it gets cold down there in winter. I'm going to use a thermostatically controlled aquarium heater in the bubble cloner in winter.
  • To hopefully allow me to ignore the veg/cone cabinet for several days at a time, I'm using a 2'x2' ebb and flood table and a 10-gallon reservoir with a 180 l/hr pump. I have both 4" and 5" pots I can use. I'm using coco coir media.
  • I'm going to create a separate internal compartment that I can use to flower a couple plants (males?) separately from everything else which will be on an 18/6 light schedule. This cabinet will be next to my 4x4 flower tent so I'll need to be careful with males if I decide to flower them to collect pollen.

So, any overall comments on this idea? I'll try to post a pic of the design drawing and of the progress as I build it. I'm looking for some specific advice regarding nute regimen. How light of a feeding schedule should I use? Using GH Flora series BTW.

Last edited by Marcus_in_the_Darkus; 07-19-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:48 AM
Banned

Default Yes good one....

Yes good one....
Old 07-25-2017, 12:57 AM

Hi M.i.t.d.
Your plan sounds pretty well thought out.
Do you know what brand of globe u will use?
Is 144w of t8 enough light for 10 sFoot of area?
Also, what heating do you have, apart from the T8 fixtures?
good luck.

Last edited by Northcliffe rose; 07-25-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:49 PM

I think the plan is pretty well thought out, but I might recommend the Minimum Watts per Sq/Ft is 30w.. At 10 Sq/Ft, the recommended Minumum I'm pretty sure would be 330-335w for 10 sq/ft.

Optimum is around 50w sq/ft.

A 1000w Hortilux HPS is 62.5w in 16 sq/ft.

I think the nutrient regime would probably at first be trial and error, and what each different variety likes for basic survival. Small Containers, can also slow growth. I'm not doing hydro like you, but to restrict growth 1 thing I do is restrict container size, and just enough water/food so I don't get any leaf drooping/dropping, or yellow ect. I use Promix/BX, and hand water.

Id probably think about smaller containers, enough water to keep from problems, and 1/2 strength food. If they need more you can always add. Cooler temps also restrict growth. 55-60 degrees, and this will also require less food, and water.