Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:02 AM

Sure, welcome to the thread.

The possibilities of grafting are endless, only limited by imagination. I suppose that there are three reasons for grafting; one is to fuse a scion with a host creating a multi-strain chimera in the process, the second is to graft a smaller plant onto a larger root system and the the third is to shape the plant itself.

I'm currently veggin' new plants, which means that I'm taking a bunch of clones from each, which I will keep until I have sexed the plants. If many of them make it I will have a lot of material to work with and will eventually get around to some mother plant "fusion"
Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 PM

Extreemly interesting thread Kodiac.
Well done on the grafting and the SSH. 17 and a half weeks flower is massive, theysurely look worthy though.
May I ask if you have tried the Old Timer Haze before?
Keep up the great work and growing.
Cheers
HJ
Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Thanks Happyjay

The 17+ weeks of flowering really paid off, the bud was exquisite. The mostly Neville's Haze pheno was covered in trichomes, it had a really strong bitter pine scent, shortly followed by ripe citrus fruit with a skunky undertone. Some of the best bud I have grown to date. Many thanks to Shantibaba for providing the seeds in the first place and making the grow possible.

Now I have a whole bunch of new plant started from seed. I need to keep them in veg until I have clones of all the plants. I have topped the new plants several times and do LST training on them.

Some of the plant already carry a very strong scent, like the Amnesia Haze and Kali Mist, so I'm hoping that they are female. The time to grow Skunk #1 (the pure) was way past due so I had to germinate some. My next grow will probably be mostly indica so I will get around to growing some NL and pure afghani then, some of the classic corner stone strains.

On the other hand I also have some interesting pure landrace sativas waiting in the freezer, like Khmer Gold, Lao and Thai Stick Sativa from the GN collection. They will have to wait for the time being as I am also looking forward to growing some excellent indicas like Blueberry, Sweet Tooth, Black Domina and Sensi Star. One of my grows will also be only Diesel strains, like Alpha Diesel, Chemdawg DD, Double Strawberry Diesel from REZ and Somas NYCD. I already got a head start on that grow with the Russian Diesel (AK-47 x NYCD) that I am veggin' now

..Black Widow and AK-47 seem like good plants to pair up for a grow as well... so many strains, so little time..

After growing Super Silver Haze for a year I am now growing some Jock Horror for comparison. I will eventually grow Jack Herer too, that way I will have a good idea of how all the NL x Skunk x Haze hybrids stand up next to each other. The combination and ingredients of each strain is a little bit different and naturally there will be some variation of phenotype in each but it will still be cool to see if there are any similarities between the three.

To answer your question, no, I have not tried the Oldtimer's Haze before but it seems like a really good plant. Here are some pics.

It was a bit tall and lanky so I topped it and started LST training on it, tying down the new tops, eventually twisting them around the pot. For more pics and info on topping, pruning and LST training, check out Barlettas grooming thread.

If it turns out to be female, I hope it's Purple Haze. That would be sweet but it's still a lot of if's...

I usually train the plants for a long time before flowering them. I do this because I have somewhat limited space so the busier the plant, the better. That way I have more options on how to handle the plant during flowering. After training them for some time I put them under the HPS and scrog them.

Now that I have tried growing several plants as well as one large plant in the same space, I can say that scrogging several plants yields more than just one large plant. So I will go with several plants in the future, probably several different strains each time.

Keep it green

Last edited by Kodiak; 01-15-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:33 PM

The OT Haze is also high on my hit list, have read upto and over 20week phenos but also worthy.
I have grown the Pure from the dutchman before an it is my perso fav of the skunks I have tried, (not that Ive tried that many).
The sound of the landrace sativas had me drooling aswell mate.
Interestin technique too.
Keep up the marvellous work.
HJ
Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM

Thanks

Yeah, the OH can take up to 26 weeks to finish but there is probably faster phenos out there. It is an interesting mix of Haze plants from all over the world.

The landrace sativas will be a grow on their own as they will probably need a lot of training or they will get out of control. Gypsy Nirvana got the seeds from locas farmers while travelling through the orient so they are rare gems indeed. I am fairly sure that it will be a challenge to grow them indoors as they are outdoor plants and probably grow tall and huge. The Khmer Gold got it's name from the way the colour of the buds covered with glistening trichomes, shine like gold. The Thai Stick Sativa also has a very long flowering time but should be some serious psychedelic smoke. Eye-High-In-The-Sky.

Probably not the easiest of plants to grow but one thing that I have learned is that any plant can be topped and trained to grow in any manner or shape as long as the right technique are applied. Sometimes that mean topping and training all the way through flowering as well, patience is the key here. Good training for working with bonsai plants, which I will look into eventually.

I'm looking forward to the Skunk #1 but also all the haze and mostly sativa plants I have going now. Too bad my Original Haze and NL #5 x Haze plants were mutants and the Skunk Haze and ThaiHaze x Skunk didn't make it. But I still have enough strain diversity to make my new grow challenging, interesting and most important of all, fun

Oldtimer’s Haze (ACE) - 100% Sativa - Mexican, Purple Highland Colombian, Southern Indian (Kerala) and Thai Haze Sativas.
Destroyer (Canna BioGen)- 100% Sativa - (Mexican x Colombian) x Meao Thai
Skunk #1 (The Pure, Flying Dutchmen) - 75% Sativa - (Afghani x Mexican Acapulco Gold) x Colombian Gold
Amnesia Haze (Soma) - 80% Sativa - Afghani / Hawaiian x South-East Asian Sativa
Kali Mist (Serious) - 80-90% Sativa - (Haze x Skunk) x (Cambodian Sativa x Silver Haze) + (Possibly some Afghani Indica in recent seeds)
S.A.G.E (THseeds) - 75% Sativa - The Original Haze x Big Sur Holy Weed
Orient Express (ACE) - 60% Sativa - Chinese Yunnan x Vietnam Black '77
Jock Horror (Nirvana) - 65% Sativa - NL x Skunk x Haze
Russian Diesel (Croniholic) - 60% Sativa - AK-47 x NYCD

No Mr. Nice strains this time but when I get around to growing the Black Widow, G-13 Skunk and G-13 Widow I'll post similar detailed information on them too.

It will be a while though as these strains will probably keep me busy for at least 6 months. If I end up with extra female clones I'll probably experiment further with grafting and I'll post the results on that too if I succeed.

In the meantime, here is a thread on Marijuana Grafting

This guy successfully grafted branches of one strain to another. He even tried exchanging the heads in a MJ Face/Off but that didn't work. Possibly because the auxin transport mechanism is located in the top of the plant and when removed the signal is transferred down, so the plant no longer recognizes tissue above the cut.

I'll stick to the low stress method of just tying branches together. Perhaps some minor scarring of the outer tissue on both ends will speed up the process. Spraying with clonex and kelp solutions. Lot of things to try there.

Happy Growing

-Kodiak-

Last edited by Kodiak; 01-19-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:07 AM

hey there Kodiak,

looks good mate, with the hermie prob it could b from heat stress or to high temp in your grow room, keep at it lad it only gets beta the more u gain experience, good luck
Old 03-15-2009, 02:27 AM

Hi Alby, I have the grow room dialed in almost perfect now once I upgraded from the cooltube to an air cooled hood. It solved the temp problems and also made the ambient temperature much nicer. The cool tube created hotspots and all other sorts of problems. You are right however, it was the high temp that made the feminized plant hermie, but on the hand, it was genetically prone to the condition anyways so it would most likely had happened sooner or later any way.

Keep it green
Old 03-15-2009, 04:46 AM

I'll never get tired of looking at SSH... or of smoking it!!