Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:11 PM

Thanks

The next step is to graft two strains together which I will try at some point once I have enough mother plants. I currently have an Ingermar's Punch mother which roots pretty fast and is really hard to kill off, so I'll take some cuttings from her and graft them onto something else. I'm starting new seeds now, looking for a male to cross to the SSH as well as new females of course, so maybe I will have something to work with soon.

I'm running,

Skunk #1 x Haze
Thai/Haze x Skunk #1 (Thunk)
Destroyer
The Pure
The Original Haze
Super Silver Haze
Oldtimer's Haze

Hopefully I get one strong male from the bunch that I will cross to the SSH.

Concerning the grafting, the only really interesting thing would be if new branches close to or above the graft would show hybrid flowers of both strains in flowering like with apples and citrus. That would in essence be a hybrid two strains without fertilization. If that really works, the mechanics behind it seems puzzling.

Got to give this a shot one I have enough plants to work with.

I'll post some more pics once the harvest is done.

Last edited by Kodiak; 12-07-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 PM

Well I harvested the plant after 17 weeks of flowering. Some of the buds were turning purple at this point. The trichomes were 50% clear and 50% cloudy so it looked ready.

I still have a few flowering clones in water that I hope will root, if they don't I will not have to possibility to make a cross of this plant. Keeping her going under the 600w hps until I would have mature males, if any, from the seeds I just sprouted would simply not be economical. I ran out of space. I already have one cloning/veg cabinet and two flowering cabinets running, one small for seeding and one large for budding.

I got quite a bit of primo bud from this plant, she was a heavy yielder for a sativa but I also trained her well and for a long time.

As soon as it's dry it goes into the mason jars for slow curing. The buds are quite dense and really sticky, I got a nice bit of charas / rubbing hash while trimming the buds. The smell is a mix of almost eye-watering sour pine combined with ripe citrus fruit.

This should be some of the best smoke I've grown so far

Last edited by Kodiak; 12-10-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Now this was a great plant and I'm sorry to say that I could not save her in any living form.

On the other hand, I do have the feminized seeds from this grow, a hermafroditic DP Strawberry Cough pollinated my Super Silver Haze. The SC was also a very nice medicinal plant with a relaxing euphoric high. The lineage of the SC is Kyle Kushman's original cut x DP SKunk #1, so the Super Strawberry Haze cross is mostly sativa.

Part of her genetics were saved in these seeds, but since hermafroditism is a dominant trait, what would you say are my chances of breeding out that trait from the offspring?

I have maybe 50-60 seeds that are in very good condition. By sampling a large population, what are the odds of finding a plant that does not hermie under stress?

I could then cross that one to some Original Haze, Oldtimer's Haze or something else, depending on if I get a strong male from the new batch of seeds I'm sprouting.

I've got the following started so far.

Oldtimer’s Haze (ACE)
Destroyer (Canna BioGen)
Skunk #1 (The Pure)
Amnesia Haze (Soma)
Kali Mist (Serious)
S.A.G.E (THseeds)
Orient Express (ACE)
Jock Horror (Nirvana)

and some Russian Diesel.

They are all hazes, haze crosses, pure or mostly sativa plants.

I guess the only way to find a keeper from the feminized seeds would be to put all plants grown under heavy stress and see how they react.

Or is it a fact the all the offspring will become hermafroditic on account of the hermie parent?

Any ideas?

Last edited by Kodiak; 01-07-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 AM

Kodiak, congradulations on a bountiful harvest! Many pleasantly hazy days ahead for you my man.
Your grafting technique, Holy shit man! I've never seen someone pull that off with MJ. VERY interesting dude. Got any pics of the process? Like what the cuts you made look like, etc? That is some awesome work their, i commend you, and i would love to pic your brain on this subject if you ever have the time...Evl
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 PM

Thanks man She sure was a nice plant.

I have been interested in grafting ever since I stumbled upon the works of an arborcraftsman named Axel Erlandson. Look it up, the things that he did is amazing. You soon understand what a strange and marvelous material living wood can be. You could basically train a big tree to grow into a house if you wanted to.

I read loads of stuff on grafting but all the methods mentioned involved scarring of tissue or placing scions directly into the wound of a cut branch and tying it all together. I figured that I would get around to trying it sometime, meanwhile I was training some plants by the LST method of tying branches down in a circular fashion while feeding them back into the plant.

This process also meant that I tied some branches together just to keep them in the right place. I took my time and vegged the plant for about six months and then put her under the HPS. After a couple of months of flowering i noticed the graft in the lower jungle of branches.

So in a way I stumbled upon this method but I am glad that I did because this is a very low-stress way of grafting cannabis. But keep in mind that it took the plant about 6 months to get there.

The interesting thing to do would be to graft a new strain onto a plant. So if this method works, all you have to do is to tie the main stem of the scion to a branch on the host. Then you wait until they are fused and finally cut away the roots from the scion, the host will support the new strain.

That's about it. I will try some "mother plant fusion" at a later time when I have more time and more plants.

Keep it Green
Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Kodiak, I've been reading about Mr Axel Erlandson. His work is amazing. I cant believe more people on MJ sites dont bring up his work. Very interesting. Thanks for turning me on to this!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:55 AM

Default This and that...

Sure, no worries

There is always more to learn. Traditional bonsai-gardening could also prove interesting. Traditional in the sense that I would do it as an art form, not only to conserve space. Taking good time and applying low-stress training in a plant-friendly manner would be the way; "persuading" the plant to grow in a desired shape instead of forcing it. The idea of harming the plant in any way is not very nice.

I always seem to have many projects running at the same time. Right now I'm running a lowryder hybrid seed crop while preparing a new batch of plant for sensimilla cropping. Caring for all the plants seems like a full-time job.

I always run out of space before I run out of ideas

That reminds me, it struck me one day that the plants actually "persuade" us to spread them around. I can take my own house as an example. First I had one grow room / flowering room. Soon after that I started a cloning / vegging room to speed things up. Later I also needed a third space for seed cropping and for storing eventual male plants that proved strong. So effectively I have relocated and spread the plants out all over my house over a short period of time. Due to the plants traditional, spiritual and medicinal use, I bet we humans are responsible for the widespread occurrence of cannabis. Since it is so ready to adapt to different environments, it would probably have made it's way on it's own over time but now it can be find all over the planet.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post

That reminds me, it struck me one day that the plants actually "persuade" us to spread them around. I can take my own house as an example. First I had one grow room / flowering room. Soon after that I started a cloning / vegging room to speed things up. Later I also needed a third space for seed cropping and for storing eventual male plants that proved strong. So effectively I have relocated and spread the plants out all over my house over a short period of time. Due to the plants traditional, spiritual and medicinal use, I bet we humans are responsible for the widespread occurrence of cannabis. Since it is so ready to adapt to different environments, it would probably have made it's way on it's own over time but now it can be find all over the planet.
I remember I saw on a documentary from BBC (The Private Life Of Plants) that wheat has become so widespread , by using us humans .

In the same sense I agree that Cannabis also 'used us' to survive and to become so widespread.

We take care of them (plants) and they take care of us Its a win-win situation hehe
Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I always run out of space before I run out of ideas
Always the way. 1st class job man, thanks! Now I have to go look at mine and think some.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 PM

Lightbulb

Thanks

You are right there L33t, it's a win-win relationship, symbiotic in a way. Very cool avatar by the way, not the easiest of macro shots.

Yeah, there must have been a lot of people during the ages who smoked a lot of plants and that's how we got this cornucopia of medicinal and recreational drug plants today.

I remember seeing this documentary on tribal people that lived in the jungles of south america. When they went hunting they rubbed the juice of a plant in their eyes which turned everything green, they lost all other colors. Weird stuff. They said it helped them spot pray moving in the trees, which they then took down with their blow pipes. They probably rubbed the darts on the back of those intensely colored poison arrow frogs too for that matter.. Those warning colors sure send an unmistakable message. Like the skin of a gila monster for example. Mimicry is pretty cool too. Harmless animals that do not carry poison replicate the colors of poisonous ones in order to get a free ride, so to speak.

On another note. I grow a lot of different plants for different reason. Chili and tomatoes for food, herbs for medicine and the more recreational ones just for fun. I was doing some research on chamomile, mainly the german Matricaria recutita, because it is a natural and mild tranquilizer that makes you fall asleep.

I found out that chamomile is also called "the plant doctor" because it is thought to help other plants, making them healthier and grow faster. The interesting point was however this, and I quote:

"Chamomile is sometimes known as "the plant doctor", because it is thought to help the growth and health of many other plants, especially ones that produce essential oils. It is thought to increase production of those oils, making certain herbs, like mints (spearmint, sage, oregano) and basil taste stronger in scent and flavor."

You probably see what I am getting at here. If chamomile can improve on the taste and potency of herbs, maybe it can do the same for our old friend. I bought some seeds and might try growing some chamomile in the pots of my current grow once they go into flowering. I would just have to keep em short and out of the way.

It is always good to remember that there are unconventional ways of improving on ones crops, this being a good example. I can imagine that it will at least improve on the taste of the buds as I grew some basil on a field some years back where wild chamomile grew, and the herb was so strong it burned like chili. And the smell was overpowering too.

At least it's worth a shot.

Last edited by Kodiak; 01-09-2009 at 06:16 AM.