Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2017, 10:15 PM

if you water properly you should not get fungus gnats. The top lair of the soil should be fairly dry before each watering. If the top layer never dries this is when fungus gnat thrive. And the larvea needs that extra moisture to survive. I had them when I began. Azmax works fine but to me it costs to much for these easy to kill and easy to prevent buggers! That's why I found the mosq. bits. Much more economical but since I've learned not to prematurely/over water I haven't seen one! I've still got 95% of my original bottle of M bits!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:08 PM

I think you can't throw all fungus gnats in a pot.

For example:
Everyone told me the top layer is the only place they lay eggs, keep that dry by topdressing with diatom. earth or sand, don't overwater(keep top layer dry) and just wait it out for their 21 day lifecycle.

But mine came in through the bottom holes as well.

A few people told me that could happen but everyone was adamant that it was just the top 1-2 cm or in that case bottom 1-2 cm.

Well my gnats laid their eggs about 4-5 cm from the bottom. Pretty much in the center of the pot.

I was quite convinced that I have root aphids due to this but as it turns out, it's just gnats.

But maybe the gnats here are just a bit different than elsewhere. Only explanation I could come up with because I have been battling them with different methods for months now and while I do get rid of most of them, I can never catch them all....

Good luck and stay frosty

Broseidon out
Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 PM

fungus gnats eat rotting roots. there is too much water so you either need to get rid of that (I know, outside) or start using Gnatrol. Either should work. Both have for me in the past.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post

For example:
Everyone told me the top layer is the only place they lay eggs, keep that dry by topdressing with diatom. earth or sand, don't overwater(keep top layer dry) and just wait it out for their 21 day lifecycle.

Broseidon out
Yes you can throw em all in one pot!
A fungus gnat is a fungus gnat. Now what you have said is the standard answer about the top layer of soil and life cycle. But you also have to think a bit harder than just the words in a post. The drainage holes on the bottom of a pot are just as susceptible. ANYWHERE the wet soil and the air meet is their breeding ground. So 99% of the issues will occur on the top layer by sheer size.

As far as the life cycle goes it's just that a cycle. If you don't break the cycle it will continue. All you have to do is miss 1 gnat and it will lay more eggs and the cycle continues. Miss one larvae and the same thing happens. It grows in to a gnat and lays more eggs. I don't know who would suggest just top dressing without treating the problem first? I don't WAIT for anything when it comes to pest. Every day counts and roots are very important. Those larvae are eating 24 hours a day. The gnats are "nicer" to the plant than the larvae.

If you haven't gotten rid of them in months you're still doing something wrong. Both in treating it and preventing it. How do you decide when it's time to water? What type of soil are you using? Without knowing I'd suggest adding something to the soil to increase the drainage.

Last edited by goldberg71; 01-26-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:35 PM

I'm not trying be harsh. But I don't think there's an easier pest to control. And on top of that you can do it cheaply and quickly! Better hope you never encounter spidermites!
Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 AM

That's why I put so much emphasis into prevention and so far the gnats were the only thing I ever encountered.

The only thing I did not try yet was covering the bottom drainage holes because the only feasible way to do so (from what I understand) would be making a "bed" of diatom. earth (or sand) and place the plants on top of that.

But as soon as I water the plants (and I can't go without watering them for a 21 day lifecycle), the diatom. earth (or sand) will be washed away and I would have to apply it again.

I don't know where you guys are at but 3-4 full applications of diatom. earth or (clean) sand would cost me way too much to make this sensible and since i have no pressure to continue growing, it just looks more feasible to me to shut everything down and restart after a month or two of letting everything dry out.

The only thing to consider is possibly keeping a clone or two alive and quarantined in the meantime (if I stumble over anything good in the coming round).

I would love to "just get rid of them" but several cost and time intensive applications later, they are still there.
And at this point, even if I were to make a bed out of diatom. earth, cover the top again as well and continue watering with BTI, maybe even add nematodes to the mix.
And do all of that 3 or 4 times over the 21 day lifecycle....

I would have no guarantee that I would get them all. And we are talking hundreds of bucks down the drain by that time.

No thank you, I tried and tried again and poured in close to 50 bucks already into fighting these bastards.

Time to reset (since I have that luxury, I am sure many people would rather spend 200 bucks to not have to shut down and loose a round or two but my stash is solid enough that I would suffer no negative effects from shutting down for a few months aside from time lost pheno hunting).

/Edit

I am by the way indeed hand watering in organic soil mix. So it is not only possible but actually quite likely that I overwater them at least occasionally.
I usually look for a bit of runoff before stopping because there are too many small and tightly packed pots to lift them all.
In the future I will water with Blumats but still haven't gotten around to installing them yet.
I let the soil dry out for stretches as long as 6 or 7 days during the gnat infestation to make sure they are well and dry but I didn't want to go any longer because the plants started to look really sad by then.
Over the past 2 or so weeks I had a steady level of a hand full of flyers to the point where I had to search for them to find them. But I never get rid of them completely and I am ready to pull the plug to get rid of them for good.

Last edited by Broseidon; 01-27-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:23 PM

have you tried Gnatrol? SOMEWHERE in your vicinity is rotting vegetation. Could be a sink or garbage can or a BUNCH of things, but the point is, it's too wet and rotting somewhere. IF it could only be the soil, it's either too wet, or there are pockets that are too wet. if your brain says water, and there are fungus gnats around... think twice. You calendar that says water is NOT feeling the soil or seeing the GNATS.

GNATROL! have you tried gnatrol?
did i mention gnatrol?

Last edited by PlantManBee; 01-27-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:33 AM

show me where in EU I can get gnatrol and I will get it.

Since I only find it somewhere on amazon/ebay for ridiculous prices (think 300%) in tiny quantities, I passed.
I looked up the active ingredient in Gnatrol, BTI, and found something sold in EU with BTI as the active ingredient.

The solution I got was supposedly able to handle 50 times of what I got and I bought 2 packs.
Wasn't enough.

I think it is me overwatering, mostly, and the gnats just being more resilient than usual..

I have a small bin with old leaf matter and the like that is rotting away in the grow room proper.
But it is bone dry and when I shake it, nothing emerges. Have never spotted any flyer around it either.

But even when I was very strict with the water, I could never get rid of them completely so I believe resetting is the best way forward for me ...
Old 01-30-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post

For example:

But mine came in through the bottom holes as well.

A few people told me that could happen but everyone was adamant that it was just the top 1-2 cm or in that case bottom 1-2 cm.

Well my gnats laid their eggs about 4-5 cm from the bottom. Pretty much in the center of the pot.

I was quite convinced that I have root aphids due to this but as it turns out, it's just gnats.

But maybe the gnats here are just a bit different than elsewhere. Only explanation I could come up with because I have been battling them with different methods for months now and while I do get rid of most of them, I can never catch them all....

Good luck and stay frosty

Broseidon out
Yeah, fungus gnat's are a pain in the ass for me too I can get rid of them in the winter but they will be back in the summer. My location is most likely the problem though I got a pretty swampy pond out front and a lot of wetlands around and streams so basically I'm fucked. But I do keep the numbers down real good with just neem oil and yellow sticky cards. Have used Azamax and Gnattrol they both cut the numbers down but they are like herpes they always come back.

I also have a shit load of spiders in my rooms that must help real good I never even had spider mites but I see them outdoors all the time even found some in my house bugged out and searched my grow rooms to not find any just those persistent fucking gnats. Lol

But I don't get too many gnats nothing to lose sleep over the plants do just as good in the winter when I can actually kill every last fungus gnat. But I swear my location is the culprit as we always have some moist ground near my house not to mention my dogs are always fucking up my screens they will push their heads right through like assholes though I'm probably the real asshole when I don't bring them on a boat ride. LMAO, But they suck on the boat because they always jump off then want to get back in then shake and repeat damn sure can't bring them fishing even from shore they go after lures like a ball. Lol
Old 01-30-2017, 04:41 PM

if no Gnatrol, Yellow stickies, less water. Less water. any fruit you bring into the area, throw the rinds out somewhere outside of the house. It's often when I leave lemon rinds in the trash that I'll find a few gnats in my garden.

good luck. IMO, you are likely "killing them with kindness" on the water front. If the gnats are doing well, it means at least one of your plants has root rot.