Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2015, 06:31 PM

Default Will candle light effect dark cycle in 12/12?

I've heard about green light but will candle light or a gas laters effect flowers in dark cycle?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:47 AM

Plants are living things, not machines.

Will it affect the plants?
Absolutely bro.

Will it affect them to the point that they throw nanners, get noticeable stressed or even revert to veg?
This cannot be properly answered imho. You can only test it.
Too many variables, not the least of which are the genetics of your particular plants (note: not talking strain here but your particular, individual plants).

Candle-Light is noticeably weaker/less intense so yes, I would rather try with candle-light than with any electric light, safe for green light.

Green light also affects your plants. But the effect is indeed so miniscule that it can be considered "safe" to work on your plants using a green light source during their night cycle.
It is my understanding that a green light source is the "safest" form of lighting for this task. Safer than candlelight etc.

But even then, if your plant is particularly super duper sensitive to light disturbance and you overdo it (i.e. work during their night-cycle every day/night for several hours with your green light), it could still noticeably affect your plants.
Note "could", doesn't have to.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:59 PM

Only one way to find out

Never dared flip on any kind of green light to work on plants. Work during lights on time. If I HAD to go in the flower room at lights off, it was flicking the sparker on a bic lighter to 'see', or a cell phone screen turned waaaaay down to wave like a light saber over the ground. The only real reason to go into flower at lights off is if something falls down or your scrubber fan fails or something.

Most horti-marketed co2 generators have electronic ignition to avoid any issued with a pilot light at lights off. I would be scared to have a pilot light flickering in a room full of money trees wrapped in super reflective material at lights off. CO2 supplementation is only necessary/effective at lights on, BTW.

I've heard that a rule of thumb (masoginist much??) is that anything that will throw a shadow is bright enough to mess with the night period. I go by that & tend to stay hermie free with stable plants.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:32 PM

Yes definitely would may not cause any hermies but not something you want to do regularly even them greenlights I only use to clean my glass on the reflectors and I try not to hit any plants direct cause you know damn well some other colors come out from the green light just cause you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Capone View Post
Yes definitely would may not cause any hermies but not something you want to do regularly even them greenlights I only use to clean my glass on the reflectors and I try not to hit any plants direct cause you know damn well some other colors come out from the green light just cause you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.
Agreed

It's also a myth that the plants "just don't use the green spectrum because they are green" ....

There is SOME truth to that I suppose but it is not an absolute fact in any way shape or form.

Green lights are just (from reading, not personal experience) the least of all evils in that regard.

That doesn't mean that regularly working on your plants during their night period is advisable, just because you have a green light so no problemo...

It will affect them, how much can't be said until you test it.

But even I (a relative noob) can give you solid advice on this:
Don't make it your regular habit. It's usually "k" for emergencies or whatever but shouldn't be your regular mode of operating. That simply can't have any positive effect.
The negative effect might be negligible, might be huge, only you can tell us.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:55 PM

I've had tiny light leaks screw up 1-2 crops,even a blinking led on temp and RH transmitter effected colas so I don't like the idea of any light during 12/12 but if there was a light that did work without effecting bloom,I might use it.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:11 PM

i have had to work lights out and use my green 40 watt work light and would get to doing something else and leave her run 24/7 for more than a few days and i can tell you i had no issues what so ever and this has happen to me more than a few times so i would just be aware of this because i do shit like this all the time like leaveing water hose on filling my tank up and returning the next day water overflowing and one hellva mess haha so you see its all in the days work
RJ