Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 05:30 PM

Default help me out,anyone switched from hps to LEDs???

To make it short I went with LEDs instead of hps or T5.

My harvest on indica dominant had nice hard nugs,but sativa very airy or that's just Sativa's???

If you've grown with hps,then tried LEDs what's your opinion?

I need to either get another 400 watt panel or just get a 600 hps system??

There are pros and cons,but my 5watt 80 led panel only feeds one female passt week 3-4.

Let mevask this will a 600 hps system feeds 3 females using 3 gallon containers?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 PM

hi
the best is to wait next run for switch your lights
Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la resistance verte View Post
hi
the best is to wait next run for switch your lights
I'm not in the middle of a grow,but need more light whether it be led or hpd.

Before I buy either a led or hps this time,I'd like ask more experienced growers.

Have you tried LEDs after using hps?Did you go back to HPS or find LEDs inferior?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:15 PM

Thumbs up kessil review

my experience has been that kessil l.e.d.s easily produced bud at a rate of > 1/4 gram per watt with no heat issues.

the buds were dense and not airy at all . . .

However, we have noticed that the older model kessil (the one with the thin power cord) generates a more airy structure than the newer models (with the thicker power cable).

another item is that the calyxes on the stem (not the bud proper) have been ripening completely before the bud is actually ready . . . those calyxes attached directly to the stem have sometimes extended into the bud . . . apt consumers have questioned if the buds were 'over-ripe' . . .

having said that - we have determined that the kessil l.e.d.s have been equal to or better than the h.i.d.s in the current application.

the long and short: we like kessil. bit pricey over the short term and the older versions are not the ones you want. over the long haul - we like the choice for change in micro grows.

p.s. - the l.e.d.s were supplemented with T5

Last edited by Fated; 01-20-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 01-21-2015, 01:13 AM

hi CBD,

I'm currently running a 400w HPS and a 180x5ww LED panel (~440 true watts) and to be honest both have the same light coverage and penetration.
Also no real difference on buds size or density. Personally, I love my LED panel and soon a bigger one will replace my HPS.
Now, I'm not sure if any LED panel can equal the light penetration of a 600w HPS so if heat is not an issue, I think you will get better
yields with a 600w HPS.
For your sativa plant with airy buds, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that it's due to the light, sativas buds are not as dense as indicas buds
and depending on the pheno you're growing, you can get something going of "dense" to very airy... have you run this strain before under hps?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:36 AM

I just made the switch (mostly) to LED. However LED is much more variable than say magnetic ballast HIDs.

They can produce great buds. As for sativas, loose buds go with the territory.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 AM

From all the research I've done, I'd say your best bet is to use traditional HID lighting and supplement with LED's. You do not get the canopy penetration with LED's that you do with HID. If I could only use LED, then I would pair it with a nice heavy Indica strain grown SCROG style. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:36 AM

Thanks,that answers my questions.
I
Old 01-21-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogDad View Post
From all the research I've done, I'd say your best bet is to use traditional HID lighting and supplement with LED's
Truedat, unless you have thousands of dollars to get a powerful LED system. I don't know if Hydrogrowled is still in business, but I've been running 4 of their lights with zero problems at all, not even a fan going out. One has been running for over 5 years now. I run HPS/MH digital ballasts and supplement with a couple panels

Last edited by HHHG; 01-21-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHG View Post
Truedat, unless you have thousands of dollars to get a powerful LED system.
I was just going to leave it at what I said but this is right on: if you are willing to plunk down the cash you can have seriously great lighting. I'm running an illumitex neosol ns and they aren't cheap (it's still not their big dog, neosol ds) but they have great penetration, low heat and the plants LOVE them.