Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 04:46 PM

Default How Much Power is TOO much Power??

Gday guys,

Im interested to hear peoples opinions on basically, How much power is too much?
I have had different sized setups through out the years, from small 4 light setups, to larger 16 light set ups etc.

I don't live in a country with easygoing laws so Stealth is still an issue, so i'd like to hear from people in my position who grow indoors.

What limits do you place on power consumption before getting stressed bringing attention to yourself.

As I have gotten older my limit is usually around 6000 w
Old 12-05-2014, 01:27 AM

Talking

It's not an issue for me as I'm in a medical state. But I recall back in the outlaw days they use to say 1000watts per bedroom. So if you had a 3 bedroom house, you're looking at a 3000watt grow. No idea if there is any legitimacy to that rule though. It's probably more important that you keep your bill payed on time.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:07 AM

I'd say go with what's safe!! Check if you a have a three fase or single fase!!
More then likely its single! Then check the main fuse normally 100amp for single but can be 60amp!!
If it's 100amp then that's your very limit as your supply pipe will not be designed to deliver more and if you blow that you basically fucked and the energy supplier will have to fix that!!
Each 600watt ballast is normally 3amp so once you account for fans extractors ect that should allow you to run up to 20 lights providing your not drawing more power for things like ovens or kettles!! Run lights on a flip flop say 10 on day and 10 at night to help us less amps at any given time!! That should also help with temps!!
Regarding what energy you paying for and it showing on bills well id be very cautious to go past 6x600watts per 3bed house!!

You really need to find a good sparky who can tell you the options!!!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:57 AM

I know a guy that worked as a meter reader in the mid 2000s. I asked him how it all works. Basically he goes from house to house entering numbers into a palm pilot style device. After he did however many hundred or thousand houses he goes back to the office, connects the hand held to the pc and uploads all the data. Then a program calculates the total and prints all the invoices which get folded by a machine and stuffed into envelopes. Human eyes never really see the actual amount that you owe unless you contact the provider and an employee brings up your account on their screen.

I know of people that have had yearly bills over $10k. They pay it. No problem.

Steal power and your going to get done. Not if but when. Even if you stole a single watt to boil water it's still a crime and a federal one at that. There is no legally determined amount of power you may or may not use provided you pay for it. The readers are looking for signs of tampering rather than high use. They're more concerned about not getting bitten by a dog and getting to the pub on time than how much juice you consume.

Your biggest constraint is your actual wiring. Burning your house down attracts attention. Same with domestics, parties etc.

Be safe mate
Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM

As long as you pay your bill and don't steal power you should be fine for all they know you got a bunch of video game nerds living with you a few TV's PS3's on call of duty online it uses a bit of power I hate them dudes they always kick my ass when I try playing call of duty online, lol they play that shit day and night I know a few this one guy and his wife have their own systems and TV's and play that shit all day and a PS3 is a good 600 watts and probably the TV too then A/C whatever else hell you could also be letting friends shower and do laundry at your home as well running the hell out of the hot water heater and all.

I don't know about other countries but in the US the police can check your bill but they need a lot more to get a warrant. They may lie and say "your bill is so high we know your growing give up before we get a warrant we'll take it easy on you" Bullshit if they could get a warrant they would not be knocking and they won't take it easy you get the same damn charges only they act friendlier still fuck you just as hard, just they are so happy they ran into a dumb ass who gave up their grow when they had very little evidence. But in the USA they go through a judge that needs to follow the constitution can't just invade someones privacy unless they have a pile of evidence or a controlled buy from a snitch you will never see his name on a piece of paper that's how confidential informants work they use the controlled buy to get a warrant then use the rat elsewhere that's why all the rats talk about paper work cause their is none. You got to be more careful who you trust then power consumption cause their are so many junkie rats on the street selling heroin to kids and all you may think they are not a rat but they have immunity to slang by ratting and they don't want you to stop slanging they want them to meet more people and feed more busts and get more informants.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:13 PM

G`day Mullum

Most domestic power supply in Oz are 15 or 20 amps @ 240 V .

Watts divided by voltage = amps .

600 watts divided by 240 volts = 2.5 Amps . Safety says use only 75% of capacity .

15 Amp breaker = 4 x 600w =10 Amps .

20 Amp breaker 6 x 600w = 15 Amps .

Then add on oscillating fans , extraction , intake , pumps , dehumidifiers etc .

Happy now elmer?

Last edited by Mary Mary; 12-05-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 PM

mullumbimby, In my neck of the woods it goes like this, pay your bills on time and a old saying is, out of site out of mind you will be good to go.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, Some things to think about for sure.

Bud Weiser - That is what I had heard a few years back, and wondered if there was some truth to it, as it made sense to me,
I was friends with a guy ( Still am) that breeds snakes for a living, he has over 300, in separate banks of enclosures etc - His power bill is off the charts, and he hasn't had one visit from anyone over the 15 years in regards to what he is doing.

I was really trying to assess what size gardens people run consecutively in regards to power to see if I could add a couple of lights on a permanent basis.

Thanks again for the replys, this place is great, you actually get answers from people who know,.

Cheers