Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 PM

might be overkill in a room that small, remember the overlap/shared lighting, plants only take in so much light and naturally do not use anymore

not saying 4 1000's and a 600 wouldnt be awesome, im just wondering if it would be over kill

in a room that small id say 5 600's would easily be enough, you can keep not only the lights lower/closer, but also easier and cheaper to keep the room cool

even with cool tubes or similar, it "could" still be like an easy bake oven
Old 09-09-2014, 07:43 PM

Well just to throw in something off the wall here...how about that 4th light using something supplemental with a different spectrum - money doesn't seem to be an obstacle here particularly, why not put a full spectrum plasma in the middle to pump up resin content? (Edit, actually the lamp I'm thinking of would only hit the plants in the middle of the room if you mounted it there, but I think making it supplementary rather than another blasting HPS isn't worth dismissing out of hand).

You can also switch from HPS to the new MH 4k full spectrum bulbs too.

As I said earlier you could get away with running 4x 600w bulbs overboosted off two 1000w ballasts too. I was considering doing this and I still think it's probably better (as well as cheaper and more efficient) to use a thousand watt ballast overboosted than a 600w.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:56 PM

Money is always an obstacle. Plasmas are rediculously expensive.

Overkill? So people don't go by the 50watt per square foot formula anymore? At 100 square feet, 5000watts would put me right there. With just the 4 1000watt lights I'd be at 40 watts per square foot.

How much power savings would I be looking at using 5 600 watt lights vs. 4 1000 watt lights?

With 5 600watt lights I'd be at 24watts per square foot.

Last edited by BullDogDad; 09-09-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 PM

It's only overkill if you aren't a skilled enough grower to efficiently use all the light. Meaning your environment must be absolutely perfect, and you watering/feeding is dialed in. Otherwise yes it's not worth it. But if you at 1.25 lb or higher per 1k then you are close enough at grower skill to use the light. Really you should be at minimum 1.5 per 1k with an average yielding strain. I know plenty of people with a hydro set up who get over 1g a watt that's like 2.25per light. So is lighting the most important part of setting up an efficient productive room... No environment and plant health are going to determine this. About the additional spectrum that's why people use a vertical mh or change spectrum throughout flower.

Can't see my set up very well but it's 4 1000s and a vertical 600, this is the last day of week six. She has 4 more weeks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140907_090322.jpg (691.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by weezy; 09-09-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy View Post
It's only overkill if you aren't a skilled enough grower to efficiently use all the light. Meaning your environment must be absolutely perfect, and you watering/feeding is dialed in. Otherwise yes it's not worth it. But if you at 1.25 lb or higher per 1k then you are close enough at grower skill to use the light. Really you should be at minimum 1.5 per 1k with an average yielding strain. I know plenty of people with a hydro set up who get over 1g a watt that's like 2.25per light. So is lighting the most important part of setting up an efficient productive room... No environment and plant health are going to determine this. About the additional spectrum that's why people use a vertical mh or change spectrum throughout flower.

Can't see my set up very well but it's 4 1000s and a vertical 600, this is the last day of week six. She has 4 more weeks
when i mentioned over kill it was due to the fact that plants only use a certain amount and then the rest is wasted, cant remember off the top of my head what those numbers are, but its a science/biology/botany or whatever proven fact, im not sure many of us reach the amount they use, but if you did a search on it im sure you could find the info

@BDD i remember when the # was lower then 50 watt per square foot, i guess over time people upped the "formula", it also makes a difference at what hight the lights are, id rather a 600 blasting down much closer then a 1000 from a distance, plus a 600 produces more lumens/eficiency per watt, but then lumens are a debatable topic now due to people realising lumens are a measure of "visible" light and not exactly a measure of the light plants actually use and need

ive run strains that a 1000 2-2.5 feet away caused bleaching, not burning but light bleaching, nevils skunk was one of those strains, a lot is lost after the first foot from any light and only gets worse each added foot away

unless you are growing plants 7+ft id go with 5 600's
Old 09-10-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogDad View Post
How much power savings would I be looking at using 5 600 watt lights vs. 4 1000 watt lights?
5*600= 3000 watts vs 4x 1000 = 4000, so one quarter difference less with the 5 600s.

There are multiple ways to do this, and several probly more effective than others but yeah it comes down to a load of things - not all 600 watt hps (or 1k) are equal, nor are all ballasts, nor are they the same price.

I gather from your greenhouse thread you might be in UK and if so then heat is probably less of an issue for you. Heat is one of the main reasons people would often go for 600w when it's doable, power is another.

A last thing to consider is RF interference. Some ballasts are better on this than others.

Plasma is expensive to buy straight up, and somewhat expensive to just use as supplementary lighting but the lower power consumption would mean it would pay for itself eventually, as long as you were getting more resin out of it etc.

If I had the money and space I'd get one to try the new full spectrum bulbs that supposedly don't need supplementary HPS anymore cos they have a ton of red spectrum, if they can do what is claimed (replace a 1k hps and yield the same but with more resin) then that would very quickly pay for itself.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:43 AM

G`day BDD

Are you taking into account you will need spaces to access the plants ?

A gap of about 50 cm is best for reflection from your walls to the plants .

Also take into account the over lap like Bob said and the height the lamp is hung at affects the foot print .

Happy now elmer?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 AM

Ok thank you all. You guys and gals have given me a lot to consider. People seem to be leaning towards the 600's.

Mary Mary- When indoors I tend to grow wall to wall.

I will be sorting through some numbers to begin with in order to find some keepers. When I do I will switch to fewer, larger plants.

I previously got my math wrong. I calculated for 4 600's not 5.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:02 AM

G`day BDD

Nah I sacrifice that bit of floor space for a walk / crawl way .
Canopy management , pest ID and observation points . Mean I have access from all directions as a priority .

Happy now elmer?
Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 PM

I currently army crawl my room and it sucks. Make rows so you can stand up it will pay off in the long run like mary said. But if you do a few large plants per light like 4 each. They will get big enough to work under. If you outline your flood tray or build a frame if you don't use flood trays with pvc, you can build a one time adjustable trellis net. This way every harvest it comes off in one peice and can be reused. It also allows you to run multipule strains in one room and allows you to have a walkway.