Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Default Newbie/New to the site

Hey Guys want start by saying WASSUP!!! Im new to the site so look fwd to learning from you experience tokers...

I need some advice in the feeding schedules and what nutrients i need to purchase, have not been able find a simple thread that explains this.

As far as I understand Im suppose start the following way:

1: Germinate my seeds (im aware there are different methods)
2:Place my seeds in rockwool cubes once they have sprouted, water the rockwool cubes every other day (dont soak them im aware).
3: Once i see roots, transfer over to my primary large buckets (2-4gallons as i prefer)
4: from this point on is it considered the veggin stage? What kind feeding schedule should i follow from here? Is this when you just start adding water and nutes every other day?

Im little confused since it seems there is no one particalr way to feed them.
Please if you guys can help me out, any advise or input feel free to respond or correct me.

Thanks a million!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 PM
barletta

You got it SS420. Welcome to the site Where you live will determine which brands of nutes you use, as not everything is available worldwide. Weed is easy to grow, any 'complete' food will do it. First decide if you want to use organic or refined nutes. Then find a food that will feed em! I grow organically, and for bottles, I like pureblend pro soil for bloom, and age old grow for veg as far as complete bottles. I would also reccommend adding kelp and molasses to these (or any) feed. :^)

Typical veg/grow NPK values are: 2-1-1 (EJ grow), 12-6-6 (AO grow), 3-1-4 (pbp grow)
Values for bloom foods are: 0-3-1 (EJ bloom), 5-10-5 (AO bloom), 1.5-3-4.5 (pbp bloom soil).

When they are young (first 2 weeks after you transplant into the bukkits) feed veg/grow at 1/4-1/2 strength that is reccommended on the bottle. See if this is burning em. After about a month, It seems like most plants can take a full strength feeding with the above bottles if they have enough light. Nothing is written in stone, react to how your plants react.

When you change the lights ('flip'), start to introduce bloom food. Like 1/2 grow and 1/2 bloom. If you have height issues, cut out the grow food at ~2wks. If not, cut it ~4-5 wks. As you cut out the grow, see if the plants like full strength bloom.

When the plants visually appear to slow their bud growth (after 7-8 wks of 12/12 lighting) start to cut the food back. Maybe 1/2 strength. When you want to chop them down, don't. Give them plain water (flush) for 4-5 days first. That will give them a chance to use up whatever leftover nutes they have, keeping it out of your smoke!

Kelp and molasses every water till the 'flush' whether or not you use organic or refined nutes

You have the right idea, and all of the info is in this thread. What strain are you going to run?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 PM

Default feeding plants

HI , thanks barletta for your advice, i kind understand better now.

I forgat to mention that I will be growing in hempy buckets...Now i been reading around and notice alot ppl are using micro/grow/bloom from Flora Series so most likely i will start with these nutes as it looks easier but not the easiest.

Now what im getting is that during veging you need to use less concentrated dosages, and during flowering stages obviously stronger dosages...

Now the Lucas Formula seems to be effective and majority hydroponic growers are using the method , so I believe Im going to start this way.

Now i understand the the formula and how much of the nutrients i need but I do not understand if this is a standard formula for every size bucket.?

Plan on following the Lucas Formula

General Hydroponics Flora Series Feeding Strategy - Lucas Formula

G-M-B (Grow-Micro-Bloom)
0-5-10 - For Vegetative cycle (18/6)
0-8-16 - For Flowering cycle (12/12)

so i understand that during vegetative stages ill be using 5ml micro, 10ml bloom under 18 hrs of light and 6 hrs of dark now my question is are these dosages under whatever amount of water? or do i have to add more depending on how many gallons of water i use?

FYI

Im going to be growing in a 3gallon hempy bucket.

please guys any insight and advice is kindly welcomed.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:10 PM
barletta

I dunno, but I assume those #'s are 'per Gallon' (4 liters). They also seem quite high, so I'm assuming they are using reverse osmosis filtered (RO) water. Deffo work your way up to those dosages

No it really doesn't matter 'pot size' when measuring for food. It is much more important to recognize 'plant size'. Mopre plant = able to take more food (per gallon of water)
Old 02-06-2009, 08:25 PM

Default feeding

Thank you!!

ok these might be stupid questions but i just want to feel sucure when i actually start growing.

reverse osmosis filtered (RO) water? where can i buy this type water? and can i maybe use tap water as long as i let it sit for 24 hrs overnight?

So basically if im using a 3gallon bucket i need a 3 gallon jug of water and add nutes accordingly? in my case whateever the dosage is x (times) 3 gallons? since im using 3 gallon bucket??

does that make sense? Im sorry?
Old 02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
barletta

Hey SS420
The amounts are per 1 gallon of water. plant container size is irrelevant. If you need 1 gallon to water 1 huge pot or 10 small ones, the amount of nutrient PER 1 GALLON doesn't change. If you need 3 gallons, than you mix up 3x's the nutes. Example, your grow formula has 5ml micro and 10ml bloom PER GALLON. If you need 3 gallons of nutes, add 3 gallons of water and 15ml micro/30ml bloom.

I suggest that if you are going to grow with refined (chemical) nutes, you invest in a good EC/PPM/TDS meter. The meters will basically measure the amount of nutrients in your feed/water solution. It is VERY important to know what/how much nutrients are in your 'water source', BEFORE you add nutes. If you have anything other than 'soft' water (under 100ppm), you will have to adjust the formula. RO water is available in some areas that have poor 'tap' water in vending machines. Most growers who use it end up buying an RO unit that makes the water for them.

Again, I suggest that you get a complete 1 part food, and begin feeding at 1/2 at the recommended label strength. If the label says feed 1Tbs (15ml), start at ~8ml. Add molasses and kelp, and if the plants need more, give more; if it's too much, cut back...

What part of the world are you in? I'm in the states. Just asking to see what products are avail. to you.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:58 PM

hey barleta, thanks very much,i def get it now.

Im also in the states by the east coast, i was think FloraNovaboom or is there something better you recomend ?.
thanks again have a great weekend!
Old 02-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Default Meters

is there 1 meter for all the reading or i need buy them individually like you know one for ec another ppm,etc?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
barletta

You only need a meter that does 1 measurement. They are all pretty much derived from each other. Really, I wouldn't recommend that you go that route yet. You can spend a more productive $100 when you are starting out.

I'm sure that floranova will grow plants, but I've never used it, so I can't really comment on it. I reccommend that you get a 1 part grow, and a 1 part bloom. Also get kelp and molasses.

I have grown plants start to finish in different mediums using the Pure Blend Pro nutrients. There is a 1 part grow, a 1 part bloom, and Liquid Karma. Liquid Karma is made from kelp, composted oats, and humic acids derived from leonardite. They are relatively cheap too, ~$15 for a quart of each. I have also grown in soil with just the Age old bottles + Age old kelp. The age old doesn't supply any cal or mg, so if I didn't have it in the medium, I would have to supplement it.

Lots of folks have grown with the PBP (pure blend pro) line, so if you run into problems, it will be more likely that someone with actual experience with your issues will be able to help.

Shopping list for all of the nutes you need the first time though (unless you have like a 6k setup, then just buy more of each...):
PBP grow Quart - $15
PBP bloom(soil) Quart - $15
Liquid Karma Quart - $15-20
Molasses (whatever has the highest "%'s" of cal/mg on the label at the supermarket - robust/fullflavor/blackstrap) - 2 fer $5
Gallon of water - $1 (YOU drink the water, save the jug.)

With the PBP line, no meter needed, just start at 1/2 strength (15 ml/gal) then work up to 30ml/gal. The Ph is also pretty stable with these nutes, no need to adjust.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 PM
JessE

Hi guys,
Ive never needed any kind of meters while using the hempy buckets, Ive not even checked the ph in years now while using this system.

Ive also never used mollasses in a hempy bucket, where this information is coming from im not sure. Everything you need to know about this system is located on the first page of this thread.

-HPS light
-proper environment ie intake, exhaust, air movement, no light leaks et cetera. The basics.

Materials for hempy bucket:

A good hydro nutrient product. GH Flora 3 part worked well for me. Id like to try Canna soon, but its not readily available for me here.

Perlite and vermiculate mixed at 3:1 ratio. Other aggragates are also possible to use, but when new members start out I recommend they stick with the original directions and move on once they've grown accustomed to using this method. Its easy.

A bucket with a drain hole per Hempys instructions

Rockwool starter cubes

Thats about it really. Ive seen so many "hempy bucket" threads all over the internet that completely differ from Hempys original instructions, that it makes your head spin. Stick with the creator of this methods advise and you will have quite a bit of success. Start trying to change things up when you've got little to no experience with this method to begin with and you may run into quite a few road blocks.

Any questions, as always feel free to pm me and I will try my best to help. For now, I just recommend following hempys advise and deviating little to none from the original instructions.