Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

View Poll Results: 72hrs of dark before harvest, worth it?
Yes 1 5.26%
No 18 94.74%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntmassa View Post
Only problem is its just people saying what Shanti said which I've found untrue before. Also on Greenhouse's white widow they say to put it in darkness for the last 2 weeks but I just never seen Shanti say he does it or you should do it with Black Widow it would be nice too hear it from Shanti himself I just haven't seen it though. I know I would try it out if Shanti says it really works for his white lines who knows we may get lucky and hear what Shanti has to say about it
Hi blunt,
Good post, as I noticed myself there does not seem to be a concrete quote. Its difficult to know exactly what was said by who, when and where all things considered so its usually best to work with what you do have.

Below is a special note from MNS which is related to the topic at hand and stands as good information to have when approaching the line.

Quote:
Special Notes: Numerous growers world wide who know how to grow will have at some time or other had this plant on their grow list. The plant is vigorous and well scented not to mention it frosts up the last weeks of the flowering cycle. Highly recommended
https://www.mrnice.nl/dhtml/strains.php?id=16

I would go on to add from my own experience its very much phenotype dependent. So much of this is about selection and with numbers some serious specimens can be found. The most resinated variety I have grown from any seed company in the industry is MNS Shark Shock. Specifically, out of an entire pack of MNS Shark Shock I found one female plant which stood out from the rest in the aesthetic, frosty department. This was a variety people argued over and which laid one poor fellow unconscious on the floor.

Basic community rules for the Mr Nice Seedbank forum
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/1-about-w...ank-forum.html
Old 06-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Hey jesse thanks for taking the time to drop some knowledge. I was wondering if you could describe your ss pheno a little more? How did she grow in veg? Tall short? Wide slim? liked or disliked topping? 12/12 length? Bud shape? Scent taste? Sorry brother I know its alot I am getting to the end with the ss. I feel I need to grab a cleaning pack and run these again although I am happy with the results. Found 1 that has the most massive nugs. But at 9 weeks im looking for more resin. I hope everyone is well. Cheers
Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 PM

If I can throw my peas in this here soup...

The reason growers reduce the photoperiod in the last few weeks IMO is to mimic the onset of the equinox.Day lengths can only get shorter once they start to get shorter!

I think it's best to call it like you see it really.A good explanation as to why a grower would do such a thing is logical...the plants just don't wanna ripen!If it keeps shooting out fresh new leaves and wet pistils when all other parts of the bud appear ripe;...;that's a poor fruiting type trait.It's an indication that the genotype needs that shift in daylength to perform at it's finest ; it was procreated over many generations in a climate that it's parents reacted well to rapidly dying day lengths and it imprinted that memetic need on the offspring.

But almost all strains of mostly all varieties look like they never wanna finish indoors!Patience is the name of the game.Those first few weeks in how long the plants took before they really started packing on pistillate growth are mirrored near the end in how long before it's absolutely ripe.

Some would say a 12/12 photoperiod from start to finish is almost like a limbo between long days and short days...others would say experimenting with decaying photoperiods is a sure-fire way of inducing hermaphroditism!

When treading through unknown waters,tread lightly!Experiment reducing a little bit at a time (i.e.from the first month in flowering,reduce 15 mins on your timer gradually if expecting a near two month finish...bringing you to about a 10hr on/14 off photoperiod)

IMO three days is too short of a period to cause any chemical imbalance within plant material...but I have been wrong on so many things so many times!The plants are alive and react to their environment after all
Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 PM

Hi weezy,
What I remember about the SS pheno the most is its absolutely white appearance. It stood out like a sore thumb from all the other plants and is certainly not hard to miss. This was many years ago now, but the chief characteristic was the white appearance of the plant which was easily identifiable even mid way through the harvest cycle. So there were no secret techniques to bringing out the extreme resination quality of the plant only phenotype selection. Though Im sure by allowing the harvest cycle to complete as recommended will yield the best results.

People argued over who got to take the first hit and the nug samples I was passing around the room caught a lot of admiration. When it went to one of the people in the room I could see them lose balance on their first hit. I can still remember seeing them fall into the fridge. I thought it was odd, but at the time figured they were just changing position and were simply leaning on it to be lazy. The next hit they completely lost consciousness and cracked their head on the stove on the way down.

There was a bit of a rescue 911 moment as I felt their head to make sure it wasnt cracked or worse. Luckily they were fine, but thats when you realize Shark Shock can really put some folks down for the count.

Basic community rules for the Mr Nice Seedbank forum
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/1-about-w...ank-forum.html
Old 06-28-2013, 06:56 PM

Like the saying goes.. Don't believe everything you read. I was just trying to pass on information that has been posted here over the years so it can be digested and dissected so we all can learn.
I read another thread in a different forum where a pretty well known member BOG mentions "Shantibaba has a good method" when referring to dark period. This was in 2005. It doesn't give any info on what that method is. Lol.
Like Bluntmassa mentioned it would be great to hear some thoughts from Shanti on this.
JessE! Wow! I need to find that pheno! Sounds like good nightime medicine!

Last edited by arpege; 06-28-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 PM

Default Something i found interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantibaba
Hi All

the NH , after it shows sex does not really need feeding unless it is a dose of active trace nutrients like a vitamin pill. Water and time is all they will need as well as extreme dark when it is their night...good luck...SB
Not only darkness... But extreme darkness...

Didnt vote in the pole bc i vote for 48 hrs...

Agree that all plants will react differently... Especially if trying to force a finish on a plant that doesnt want to finish... Too much dark before chop and it will throw some stretchy funky growth...

Bright days, dark nights...

Never seen reducing light cycle cause herms but its certainly possible i guess

I know theres some shanti quotes talking about finishing with some darkness... Possibly in the treating your self grow articles or possibly a PDF... Will stumble upon them eventually...

Quote above comes from this link...

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/15-plant-...ter-hempy.html

I say try some with no darkness and try some with darkness and see what you personally like best...

Next well get to talk about harvesting when medium is wet or dry lol

All personal preference and going to be different for each individual plant technically

Good luck

Og
Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 AM

when he says "extreme darkness" he means as dark as dark can get, not extreme hours/days of being in the dark

but thanks for the quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 AM

Default Slowly but surely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantibaba
While it is important to have good lights, the importance of pitch black darkness and the consistency/regularity of this pitch black hours of darkness will determine the flowering cycle and density of the flower. When you change your light time from growing (18hrs/6 dark) to flowering(12/12dark) then being consistent and maintaining an uninterrupted 12 hours of dark is the most necessary thing to do to make the flower reach its potential at harvest.

Yes... Getting somewhere here...

No if only i could find the exact shanti quote im looking for that mentions a dark period befofe harvest....

Thanks yowzer... Eventually all the quotes will come together and the whole picture will be painted... Patience..: lots of sbanti quotes to go through... Wish jesse had some shanti quotes pertaining to finishing plants archived... They are out there..: whos gonna find them.....

Still searching in the dark....

Og
Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 AM

Great little gems of info here guys. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM

hey o infront of g, i too remember an interview with shanti discussing keeping the white lines in total darkness for something like 5-7 days, coulda been 36 hours though, but it was an interview type thing and not a forum post, try the treatingyourself magazine archives or similar

im not completely sure shanti still thinks this way or not though, would be nice to hear from him as ive done the widows from 2 days darkness to 2 weeks darkness with ZERO added results