Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 AM

Default Two thumbs up!

This is very cool! Do you find the taste of the finished flowers to be any different than those grown with traditional nutrients?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 AM

I am yet to find out. It smells nice though.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM

Yeah one plant under a 400w
Old 07-15-2013, 08:22 PM

Very cool. I was under the impression that marijuana would grow well like this in veg but not in bloom. You seem to be proving that false. Just to clarify, the only plant food you are adding during the grow is potash?

I think you are going to have to detail this a bit more for us.....I think many of our home growers would be interested in this.

Natural Farming How-to Videos and Bokashi composting www.prokashi.com/videos

Flow thru earthworm compost bin ideas http://vermicomposters.ning.com/foru...through-bins-a

Composting with black soldier flies http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garde...urs-video.html
http://www.thebiopod.com/
Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 PM

Awesome, I've been interested in aquaponics for some time, there are some good utube vids, easy to find.

Great job 2easy!

Dreamtime 2013
Grail Widow Test
My First Scrog
Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 PM

2easy that is a sexy setup you have going... I would like to understand this concept more in detail as well. Would there be a way to remove the waste from the water or move the water and fish waste to another res where you could mix other stuff in before watering your plants? And what about growing seaweed in the tank with the fish

Last edited by weezy; 07-15-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM

no you couldnt remove the waste or the water from the system. it all relies on your biofilter working correctly. your biofilter is a living filter made up of bacteria living in the grow bed. the water has to be pumped through the grow bed so that the bacteria can break the waste down into nitrates then it also has to pass by the roots so the plants can remove the nitrates. if your water was being removed and having other things added then fed to the plants the cycle wouldnt be completed and the whole thing wouldnt work.

as for adding supplements i add back about 20l of water to the system 1-2 times a week depending how much the plant uses. every time i add back water i add a little potassium sulphate. that is all. i feed the fish 4 times a day with an automatic timer. couldnt be easier
Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 PM

Am I correct in thinking that the hydroton root bed is your "biofilter" and that you do not have any kind of traditional aquarium filter on this system? Also, I went to a few local stores and did not see potassium sulfate fertilizer on the shelves. I did see Sul-Po-Mag, though. Can you think of any detrimental effects that the additional magnesium could cause? Granted, I have hardly done an exhaustive local search for potassium sulfate, but the later mentioned fertilizer can be found everywhere.
I ask because I have a friend who is a new gardener that was wanting to do something like this. Although aquaponics has been very interesting to me, I have no first hand knowledge on the matter.

Natural Farming How-to Videos and Bokashi composting www.prokashi.com/videos

Flow thru earthworm compost bin ideas http://vermicomposters.ning.com/foru...through-bins-a

Composting with black soldier flies http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garde...urs-video.html
http://www.thebiopod.com/
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 PM

My local grow stores are really pushing aquaponics this year. I asked them if they need to supplement with nutrients and they said they get calcium deficiencies with their tomatoes but foliar feeding helps. Honestly their plants looked like crap so I didn't pay too much attention to their setups.

I've been watching Oz's Murray Hallams' videos on utube, he makes it look pretty simple. What is about australians, they seem to get it when it comes to nature and agriculture?
I'm thinking about permaculture guys bill mollison and geoff lawton. Wildlife ambassadors steve irwin and ole david ireland. then you have master growers like kanga, kog and tony bower. Then of course Shantibaba! Sometimes I think australians and texans have alot in common.

-mp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cairnes366.jpg (83.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 AM

Yep the hydroton bed is the filter.

I would imagine the sul-po-mag would probably be ok.
I havnt noticed any calcium problems but there are plenty of options for ammending things if you need to. A lot of people add seaweed ectract for trace minerals etc.

I guess aussies get the land because we are surrounded by so much bushland and wildlife.
I know aquaponics is really taking off in aus because some areas over in the west are very harsh and having traditional veggie gardens can be very difficult but aquaponics thrive and are very sustainable systems which dont need much water or work etc.