Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 01:49 AM

Default long veg better

Agree agree on the long veg worth it. I have in fact compared side by side and 4 extra weeks of veg far outweighs the ones switched to 12/12 at say one month versus 2. when given 8 weeks flower the younger plants spends the whole first month of flower growing/stretching nd the older one does a short quick jump and shows bud development at end first month. at 8 weeks the older one could be harvested and the younger not finished. Also big difference in the size of the plants and the number of branches.
I wanted to compare because of ongoing discussions. I like many of you other fine growers flower at 8-10 wks from seedling. No doubt greatest yield and best quality(maturity) of product.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Lightbulb My Findings

Quote:
Originally Posted by draz View Post
IMO the exra veg from 3 - 4 weeks to 6 weeks make a HUGE difference...

I haven't worked out the numbers for a commercial grow.. But for a small grow setup, it is well worth the extra 2 weeks from 4 to 6 weeks veg.. I do not know if the curve of yeild/time in veg continues to increase in the same manner or not though..

I also think it does depend on the strain,... I have seen a THC Bomb with 4 weeks veg against a THC Bomb with 6 weeks Veg and the extra two weeks increased the yield by around 3+ ounces.

I have seen other strains though (Big Bomb feminized for example) where the extra veg did nothing.. the plants still stayed only 12 inches tall.. granted they did have more bud and denser bud too,.. But the amount of difference was really not worth it.. But then again that is a problematic strain with many people having probs with it..
I Found, When Growing My First Female Strain, O.G Kush By Dinafem Seeds That The Plants Grew Fine For Awhile Then Seemed To Stall For 7-10 Days
I Even Thought I May Have Overwatered Or Overfed , But It Was The Genetics
All Of A Sudden The Plants Started Growing Again ! . So From Experience I Consider Feminised Seed To Be Less Productive Than Regular Seed
Only Image I Have Left A.T.M
Peace
JKP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bendit_Bandit_-O_G_Kush.jpg (242.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Default Sweet

Ok cool, so all your experiences match mine. If I can 3x's or more the yield by vegging an extra month or.....well do the math, much larger yields.

You can still harvest every month or 6 weeks this way too. Ya just need 3 rooms. Once they get large enough in veg...throw 'em in first flower room, 4-6 weeks later replace the veg- now flowering plants, with new clones, or seeds, and let them veg 6 weeks or more. Kinda confused myself there, hope ya get it.
I may still miss one harvest a year, but the quantity I get from the longer veg will far more make up for it.

JKP, yeah I'd rather use reg seed too, just picked up some real nice genetics (reg) Did you only pop one Dina seed? or is this something that is common with that strain? Looks great though. With the very limited experience with Dina....VERY good co IMO (for fem seeds anyways) Excellent bag appeal, smell, and very good medicinally. I grew out the Cheese I took it way long as I had some problems from the hurricaine, and very strong plant. The high was happy, with very little to no paranoia. Def not "wheelchair weed"
Peace,
Toasty
Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Banned

I like to think of vegging as an art. It's not just vegging for a long period and hoping for the best. It's the advanced techniques that I'm intrigued by, such as de-leafing, lst, topping etc etc. Nailing this down to a TEE is an art. It takes gurus like Hempy to master this though.

Timing is also crucial in a perpetual set up to maximize the harvests per year.

30 HB's is a lotta hard work to water by hand until run off toasty. You gonna look into drip rings or summat?

GM1
Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganja man1 View Post
I like to think of vegging as an art. It's not just vegging for a long period and hoping for the best. It's the advanced techniques that I'm intrigued by, such as de-leafing, lst, topping etc etc. Nailing this down to a TEE is an art. It takes gurus like Hempy to master this though.

30 HB's is a lotta hard work to water by hand until run off toasty. You gonna look into drip rings or summat?

GM1
I've Always Admired A Good S.O.G Set Up. Such Skill And A 25% Increase In Yield.
We All Have Our Strengths And Weaknesses . By Working Together We Should Have All Our Bases Covered
MNS Co Op
Peace
JKP
Old 04-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King Park View Post
I've Always Admired A Good S.O.G Set Up...
Oh those initials make my skin crawl due to a certain spammer who's best left in the past lol

I got plans for a hempy sea of green which will require less veg time. But when it comes to having plants in their individual pots then they want vegging, but be careful not to over do it if you got height or space limits.

What I don't understand is growers who use things like 3, 4 or even 5 gallon pots and don't wanna veg
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganja man1 View Post

GM1
Yeah man, I TOTALLY agree with Vegging being an art. I top the shit out of strains that react well to them, I really find supper cropping very useful, I LOVE the SCROG etc etc. I also do something that works with some strains better than others. Once the stretch is over I top most of the many tops. I find with some strains (Grape Ape) you can get cloes to double the yields. They fill in 2x's as fat, and as long as I do it before full fledged flowering I swear by it. It's also great when hight is an issue.

This Hempy grow I just done with was by kind of an experiement, as JKP led me through the revegging process, then after it reveged to resemble cannabis again, I just threw it in flower. WOW! although I didn't train it, I don't think I want to grow any other style again. So much more efficiant than soil/soiless, and safer than a DWC or any other hydro system with moving parts. Ya never know when your gonna lose power. lol
Peace,
Toasty
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I Found, When Growing My First Female Strain, O.G Kush By Dinafem Seeds That The Plants Grew Fine For Awhile Then Seemed To Stall For 7-10 Days
All Of A Sudden The Plants Started Growing Again ! . So From Experience I Consider Feminised Seed To Be Less Productive Than Regular SeedOnly Image I Have Left A.T.M
Peace
JKP
Thatís an interesting observation JKP. Iíve only grown a few fem seeds, those Iíve received as freebies.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
All Of A Sudden The Plants Started Growing Again ! . So From Experience I Consider Feminised Seed To Be Less Productive Than Regular Seed
Only Image I Have Left A.T.M
Peace
JKP
I have to say, my experience with fem seeds has been bad, almost every-time..Although once it was also the fault of the vendor I bought them from..I ordered regular seeds, and they rang me to say 'can we send you feminized instead, as we're out of regular.?" I said "Ermm..which ones sorry.?"

They replied "Big Bomb seeds..It shouldn't matter which they are, they are more expensive than regular and guaranteed female so they're better, but we wont charge you the extra as its our mistake for selling you regular when we hadn't any" I said "ok then sure...thanks.."

They ended up sending me a really messed up order, only one THC Bomb(Instead of 6) which was feminized and wasn't meant to be..

Then they sent me fem Big Bomb(Which they had rang about)but more of them than I should have had.. and they messed up a whole bunch of other stuff that I cant recall... In short the value of my order was more than I paid for it, but it was completely wrong and not what I wanted at all..lol

So it was off to bad start before I even popped anything haha..

Then I had herm issues and just general hassle, that Big Bomb strain is weird and there is enough grow reports on it where people have had hermie and yield issues..etc.. I also found the fem ones took longer to flower, by several weeks... These were all Bomb Seeds strains....but bought from a seed bank, not direct from them..

I then tried some 'Barney's Farm' beans, Pineapple Chunk I found to be really sketchy, It turned Hermie eventually but long before then it started to grow really vigorously, after a stunted period, but in a weird manner..some leaves had only 3 fingers and the branching was extremely odd similar to that 'grinspoon' picture that you can find on the web..

8 ball kush fem hermie on me as well, Aurora indica fem got stunted and was only like a lollypop stick lol

I don't recall them all but basically I think all my Barneys farm stuff hermie or just went weird... and a couple of Nirvana strains done the same..

So yeah, I like to avoid where possible...lol
Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty22 View Post
Yeah man, I TOTALLY agree with Vegging being an art. I top the shit out of strains that react well to them, I really find supper cropping very useful, I LOVE the SCROG etc etc. I also do something that works with some strains better than others. Once the stretch is over I top most of the many tops. I find with some strains (Grape Ape) you can get cloes to double the yields. They fill in 2x's as fat, and as long as I do it before full fledged flowering I swear by it. It's also great when hight is an issue.

This Hempy grow I just done with was by kind of an experiement, as JKP led me through the revegging process, then after it reveged to resemble cannabis again, I just threw it in flower. WOW! although I didn't train it, I don't think I want to grow any other style again. So much more efficiant than soil/soiless, and safer than a DWC or any other hydro system with moving parts. Ya never know when your gonna lose power. lol
Peace,
Toasty
What..? You cut the buds off at the start of flower and it grows back x 2 ?

Sorry if I have misunderstood what you mean..