Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 PM

Default Flowering Angel Heart at 1 or 2 nodes?

Input from experienced growers please ...

I've decided to run a "side bar" room to test new seed plants and hunt for keepers. It is separate from my regular perpetual garden system and is NOT designed for yield ... only to search through seed genetics and ID potential keepers.

I need to keep these plants small. Just enough to cut a clone or two and produce a sample of bud/flower traits from the female plants. (males will be discarded regardless).

The test room is small though, only running a 400w system on a small hydro table.

My plan is to run 5 to 6 Angel Hearts for my first test run.

I'm thinking I should veg them out at least a node or two before flipping to 12/12. I've heard of flowering haze plants from seed also, but I'm not sure that will be necessary ...not something I've ever tried.

Or other ideas? I tend not to top plants much, but I'm thinking also topping these might help height control...

I hope that makes sense.... thanks much for any input/comments.

rabbit
Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 AM

Hey Rabbit,

I am working with a smaller space then usual also. I have been doing some research because I am in a similar position as you I wasn't to find a keeper. What I have found is you might be better off doing like 4 at a time veg them out a little longer and then apply a screen. Once you flip the lights and the plants start to stretch you simply pull the branch down and move it outward. This way you stretch is going horizontal rather then verticle. If you have a 4x4 or something you can still get a pretty wide plant and a nice yield this way you will be able to better determine which plant is the best mother. Maybe it's not perfect for your situation but I hope it helps.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrabbit View Post
Input from experienced growers please ...

I've decided to run a "side bar" room to test new seed plants and hunt for keepers. It is separate from my regular perpetual garden system and is NOT designed for yield ... only to search through seed genetics and ID potential keepers.

I need to keep these plants small. Just enough to cut a clone or two and produce a sample of bud/flower traits from the female plants. (males will be discarded regardless).

The test room is small though, only running a 400w system on a small hydro table.

My plan is to run 5 to 6 Angel Hearts for my first test run.

I'm thinking I should veg them out at least a node or two before flipping to 12/12. I've heard of flowering haze plants from seed also, but I'm not sure that will be necessary ...not something I've ever tried.

Or other ideas? I tend not to top plants much, but I'm thinking also topping these might help height control...

I hope that makes sense.... thanks much for any input/comments.

rabbit
hi rabbit
I've been trying to do a selection on quite a number of shark shocks. I have plenty of square feet and head room. on the first run of sharks I did about half my tables with the plants as big as I normally grow them and on the other tables I did more of a SOG set up.

I thought by doing smaller plants than I normally do I would be able to select from a larger number. not that it couldn't be done better, but for me the smaller plants were a complete waste of time. I could not tell enough about the smaller plants to make any sort of a determination.

if your main concern is the high or the smell /flavor then that probably won't be any problem for you. but if you are also concerned with things like yield or plant structure or bud structure/density I think you'll want to run them in your main set up to really see how they are.
1 of my sharks seemed rather airy and I was being rather picky and I killed the backup clones of it because I did not think it was a keeper. but then I moved the plant to get little bit better light and with in just a few days the buds got so much denser that i regretted having killed the back ups.

I'm not saying that won't work for you. just that it depends on what you're looking for. you just gotta keep in mind a lot of things about the plant are going to change when you give it a decent veg time and put it under some 1000 watts with some co2.

I believe if you top a seed plant too early it will stunt her growth. if height is your main concern then I would recommend scrogging Plus that should help your yield under the 400.

I think the 400 watt bulb will really bring out the smell of the AH. the heat from the 1000 watt set up tend to burn off some of the smell.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 AM

Thanks for your comments and input guys. Good points all.

I guess I should clarify though ... I've been growing for over 20+ years. I know how to grow these out.

My only unknown here is early flowering of an MNS line that, because it has a strong Mango Haze influence, may be tricky to keep under control in a small garden. I've never flowered anything before 5 nodes.

Anyway, I knew the question was kind of specific.... I'm suspecting I'll have to explore this one and share how it comes out.

thanks for your thoughts
Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Hi badrabbit,

You might consider topping. I assume these are seed plants. Grow to a couple of nodes, top just above. Veg a few days or until you see buds break and put into flower. This may take a little more time but it may give more to work with. You will have more shoots per plant, some for clones and some to leave for flower. The only thing is plant maturity and the sativa influenced phenos will take longer to trigger.

Good Luck
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Hi Badrabbit .

I should have put my MHz's into 12/12 from germination, after a couple of weeks vegging at 18/12 most phenos stretched like crazy in early flower..

But I'd be hesitant to go 12/12 from the off with angel heart- if you get an afghan skunk dom plant it might stress it some and (according to a theory that seems to work for me) you might get a higher proportion of males..

If you're looking to keep the size down then maybe try flowering cuts, that way you don't have to worry about waiting for preflower either.

Ironically enough I tend to find making multiple cuts the best way to save space and hassle in the long run.
Unless numbers are the issue as opposed to space (as for some people).

I needz more propogatorz.

Last edited by farmergiles; 03-07-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:02 AM

i've grown AngelHeart and had a pheno that only stretched 4inches when flowered at 16in however others went 5x in heigt and were rather stretchy...my experience suggested that mature clones are best to cut back flowering time, shaved almost 2wks off the heavy MH pheno's which from my experience the majority of the girls lean to and most lean very hard to the MH

Card carrying medical marijuana patient...any and all cannabis is for PERSONAL medical use!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterhaff View Post
Hi badrabbit,

You might consider topping. I assume these are seed plants. Grow to a couple of nodes, top just above. Veg a few days or until you see buds break and put into flower. This may take a little more time but it may give more to work with. You will have more shoots per plant, some for clones and some to leave for flower. The only thing is plant maturity and the sativa influenced phenos will take longer to trigger.

Good Luck
great advice betterhaff, thank you. I was thinking exactly that .... some plants are hard to get a clone from when they're very short, with a topped plant, I could be assured of at least one clone.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmergiles View Post
Hi Badrabbit .

I should have put my MHz's into 12/12 from germination, after a couple of weeks vegging at 18/12 most phenos stretched like crazy in early flower..

But I'd be hesitant to go 12/12 from the off with angel heart- if you get an afghan skunk dom plant it might stress it some and (according to a theory that seems to work for me) you might get a higher proportion of males..

If you're looking to keep the size down then maybe try flowering cuts, that way you don't have to worry about waiting for preflower either.

Ironically enough I tend to find making multiple cuts the best way to save space and hassle in the long run.
Unless numbers are the issue as opposed to space (as for some people).

I needz more propogatorz.
Hi FG. Much appreciated. I've thought about this approach too ... I would have room to root clones, but there is nowhere to flower them (unless a build another room ... not really an option).

Plus, I'm determined to not displace any of the usual perpetual garden production while I'm working on the genetics hunt. I want this "test lab" to run as an entire separate seed to finished bud operation. Yield not important.

Yes, good observation, this is not Mango Haze and there could be a huge difference in some of these phenos depending on whether they lean MH or skunk. I think you're right, going to 12/12 from seed, or even with 2 nodes on the seedlings could screw up the skunk leaners.

I think my best shot is to play it down the middle, just as betterhaff suggests ... top at maybe 4 nodes, flower shortly after buds have started to regenerate, and I'd be pretty much assured of at least one good cut off every plant. I know they'll be a bit slow to flower.

thanks friend,
rabbit
Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd420 View Post
i've grown AngelHeart and had a pheno that only stretched 4inches when flowered at 16in however others went 5x in heigt and were rather stretchy...my experience suggested that mature clones are best to cut back flowering time, shaved almost 2wks off the heavy MH pheno's which from my experience the majority of the girls lean to and most lean very hard to the MH
awesome post sbd, thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for, experience with the AH. It sounds like the Master Kaze I ran .... every one leaned hard to the haze side of the spectrum and they were at least X5 stretchy too.

If any of them make it into the "regular rotation" they'll get nice long veg periods... yes, my experience with SSH and a lemon haze plant I have is exactly the same; 11 weeks from seed or small clones, 9 weeks for a nice big mature clone properly vegged out.

Farmergiles raises a good concern about early flowering not working well on the Skunk leaners, but after your input, and reading the AH threads/grows, I expect haze leaning plants ...

thanks to all for your input ... I'm much more confident in the plan. I probably won't post thisas a "blow by blow" grow report, but I promise to share the results and some photos at some point.

best,
rabbit