Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 PM

Lightbulb

I've Started So Many MNS Seeds In My Bud Tent. Only Downside Is Yield
Have You Heard Of Plant ladders ? ( D.I.Y )
JKP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Female- Outdoor Bound-65 Litre Container-2013.jpg (65.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Plant Ladder - 38.00.jpg (118.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Earliest Sexed Plants Ever- March7-2013.jpg (719.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg AliBaba-SingleLeafSativa.jpg (68.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg G13xHaze-_May15-2012.jpg (460.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Nice Shark Or Shit- Feb11.jpg (518.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-08-2013, 11:15 PM

Great idea JKP ... I haven't started any seeds/seedlings in my flower room, but I did build a little hydro version of the plant ladder and used it for similar purpose.

I'm all hydro and there was no room on the main table, so I put a old coffee table next to it, put a little mini ebb/flow system on top of it and finished off a few testers just using the light splash on the upper edge of the canopy. Worked just fine.

I decided though, to build the new "test labs" room for the Angel Heart test as totally separate operation, just don't have the room to run ladders, hydro or otherwise. I'm going to try to resist acquiring anymore seeds until I run everything I have in backlog through this mini test room ... it'll probably take two years, but I'm committed to the plan ... for now.

best,
rabbit
Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 PM

Joe do you end up just revegging a plant if you really like it? Or do you take a clone like 4 weeks in, or do you just say f it and do new seeds everytime?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:06 AM

Question Do I ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy View Post
Joe do you end up just revegging a plant if you really like it? Or do you take a clone like 4 weeks in, or do you just say f it and do new seeds everytime?
Er, I'm A Hopeless Cloner , Lol; Does That Answer Your Question?
I Do Use Seeds All The Time But Come Harvest I'll Reveg Any Plant As Long As It Has Its Hybrid Vigour.
99% Of My Plants Start Off As Seedlings , And I'll Pick The Strongest Plants For Revegging
Joe
Old 03-16-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrabbit View Post
I'm going to try to resist acquiring anymore seeds until I run everything I have in backlog through this mini test room ... it'll probably take two years, but I'm committed to the plan ... for now.
Lol it's hard! So easy to make a few crosses and spend a year or two testing them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King Park View Post
Er, I'm A Hopeless Cloner
Hey Joe, I'm sure that a man of your green fingeredness could get a cloning technique together. The first time I tried I made trays of cuts just in case most of them died. More than 50% survived in the end.
The most important things I've found are to keep the temp and humidity steady and clement, give them a gentle bluish light source and be patient..
Old 03-16-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmergiles View Post
Lol it's hard! So easy to make a few crosses and spend a year or two testing them out.
Kind of makes you respect people doing bonifide breeding projects.

Quote:
Hey Joe, I'm sure that a man of your green fingeredness could get a cloning technique together. The first time I tried I made trays of cuts just in case most of them died. More than 50% survived in the end.
The most important things I've found are to keep the temp and humidity steady and clement, give them a gentle bluish light source and be patient..
I have to agree with farmergiles, it's all in the positive attitude (and you know it) ; )
Old 03-16-2013, 10:41 PM

Yeh, I hate lecturing non cloners, especially clearly accomplished growers like Joe, but the cloning learning curve goes away quickly and then completely and it's such a powerful tool ..... but you know all that. A small cutting poked into a moist RW cube under a small flouro for a week or so is all you need; works like a charm.

BTW, the rabbit test labs have launched and now have 10 little angel hearts are nicely started and on their way.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrabbit View Post
Yeh, I hate lecturing non cloners, especially clearly accomplished growers like Joe, but the cloning learning curve goes away quickly and then completely and it's such a powerful tool ..... but you know all that. A small cutting poked into a moist RW cube under a small flouro for a week or so is all you need; works like a charm.

BTW, the rabbit test labs have launched and now have 10 little angel hearts are nicely started and on their way.
Ha, Ha, Iíve had my share of problems with cloning. Iíve tried all kinds of methods and mediums ie rapid rooters, rockwool, perlite, etc and always find myself resorting back to the old and somewhat primitive way of using a promix (soil) and perlite mix in a cup. A little rooting hormone and tent it with a baggie and then under the flouros. If I have multiples I use an aquarium set-up I have to keep the humidity up. I guess itís whatever works and you feel confident with.

Keep us posted on your genetic search experiment, Iím curious. I may even try a similar thing as far as timing with some of the f2 seeds I have. My only question would be how far along in the flower cycle will you have to go to get a decent clone and then will this add to the time it takes for it to revert to veg? I guess if you save the genetics thatís all that matters.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterhaff View Post
Ha, Ha, I’ve had my share of problems with cloning. I’ve tried all kinds of methods and mediums ie rapid rooters, rockwool, perlite, etc and always find myself resorting back to the old and somewhat primitive way of using a promix (soil) and perlite mix in a cup. A little rooting hormone and tent it with a baggie and then under the flouros. If I have multiples I use an aquarium set-up I have to keep the humidity up. I guess it’s whatever works and you feel confident with.

Keep us posted on your genetic search experiment, I’m curious. I may even try a similar thing as far as timing with some of the f2 seeds I have. My only question would be how far along in the flower cycle will you have to go to get a decent clone and then will this add to the time it takes for it to revert to veg? I guess if you save the genetics that’s all that matters.
Thanks betterhalf, I will definitely share it. And yes, absolutely, once you find a cloning method that works reliably for your own set up, run with it.

I have no intention of flowering out the clones though, that is, unless they are already verified as worth flowering out. I've heard that routine (cut clones, put moms back into veg, then flower out the clones ...) but I've never used it. It's just, to me, a really unnecessary use of time and resources.

I have always cut clones from seed plants, then finished flowering the seed plant ... if it's a she, and I find she's a probably keeper by about week 6 or 7 of flowering, I just grab her reserved clone, grow it out and clone that plant for as long as I want. The rest of the clones, from males or non keepers, are tossed.

By that approach, I determine where my keepers are at, or not, long before I would have with the "flower out the clones" method and I haven't wasted loads of time and space flowering out a bunch of additional/duplicate plants that are crap/non keepers. (and sadly, most seed plants do not turn into keepers, so it's a big savings, IMO.)

I've even streamlined this approach further by finding that I can easily cut successful clones after a week or two in flowering ... so I flower out the seed plants, find and kill the males (yes, I don't breed or make seeds) and then cut a clone only from the proven fems. Keeps it even cleaner and simpler and works like a charm.

best,
rabbit

Last edited by badrabbit; 03-18-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 PM

I think weíre on the same page with all that. I do it the other way around most of the time though since I grow mostly outdoors. I believe seed plants make for stronger specimens outdoors. The only tricky part is to get the seed plants adjusted to a shorter light cycle (cycle of the season) before they mature so they donít miss a beat when theyíre transplanted out. Iím just trying to figure out the fastest way to see what you got before transplanting out without having another set up with a different light cycle.

If IĎm playing around with genetics, I will do like you do, take clones and flower the seed plants. Much faster to see end results because of the root and veg time required with clones.