Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Default cool tube or maxiwing deflector

Grow in a 3' x 3' closet with a 600 w HPS with fairly good extraction and fans but heat becomes a concern. I've heard that the glass in the cool tube refracts some of the light and you do not get the full benefit of the 600 w. I have tried both reflectors. With the cool tube, I can get plant tops to within 6-9" of the light and still maintain temps; however, with the maxiwing, I can not get tops any closer than 24" and then it is still hotter than I would like. I would like to maximize the 600 w. Any suggestions on which way to go ?

Thanks
Kevin
Old 09-22-2012, 04:32 PM

hey kevinn

i donīt know the maxiwing. but i would try the Adjust-A-Wings with the spreader.

greetz

Last edited by oiba; 09-22-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:18 PM

My main objection to the cool tube was the atrocious light spread.
Have you considered an air cooled reflector? There are now some excellent reflectors on the market that will take a lot of heat away from the grow.

Also to consider would be an hps heat shield. Never used one myself but I think a couple of members use them to good effect.

regards
norty
Old 09-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Default The Adjustawing Aint No Crock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiba View Post
hey kevinn

i donīt know the maxiwing. but i would try the Adjust-A-Wings with the spreader.

greetz
They Give The Old Canatronic Jetstreams ( Ģ115.00 Reflector Only ) A Run For Their Money, And So Light And Simple.
No 10-20% Light Loss Because Of Glass, Just Maximum Lumens.
All Adjustawings Now Come With Slot In Super Spreader. Don't Chose The Steel Version, It Does'nt Disperse Heat Like The " Defender- 95% Reflective.
Cool Tubes Are Inneficient In That The Bulb Has To Reflect Through The Glass Twice.
JKP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amsterdam09 517.jpg (919.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg amsterdam09 516.jpg (956.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinn View Post
Grow in a 3' x 3' closet with a 600 w HPS with fairly good extraction and fans but heat becomes a concern. I've heard that the glass in the cool tube refracts some of the light and you do not get the full benefit of the 600 w. I have tried both reflectors. With the cool tube, I can get plant tops to within 6-9" of the light and still maintain temps; however, with the maxiwing, I can not get tops any closer than 24" and then it is still hotter than I would like. I would like to maximize the 600 w. Any suggestions on which way to go ?

Thanks
Kevin
imo tubes work great but if you want the most out of the 600 you could try using a fan on slow speed pointed up towards the light to keep the heat going up and then extract the hot air.bare bulb always beats aircooled if you can control the heat.i love that you can run tubes really close to the canopy and i think its a wash with the little bit of lumen loss from the glass.

nothing wrong with tubes though lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seedsman kw.JPG (366.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg seedsman kw2.JPG (260.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by chinook; 09-22-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Got 6" exhaust (but a long run which I can not do anything about) and ample fresh air vents (natural). Thanks for opinions !!!