Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 13. Greenhouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 12:33 AM

Question

Anyone know anything about induction lights? Inda-Gro | Grow Lights | Induction Lighting
and C.B.N. and C.B.G. and ALL the restżżżżż
Old 04-04-2012, 08:13 PM

Yes you can grow under many lights including induction. It's like growing under cfl. Unfortunately the lamp shape is not very good for a reflector. I personally prefer T5: thinner tube, easy to reflect, intense light. As with any type of light you need to adapt to the specific properties of the light and source.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 AM

I have also been intrigued by the option of Light Emitting Plasma (LEP) for indoor growing. I did some reading in threads on different sites, looked at some of the company web sites etc. While the technology has great promise, it may not yet be a viable alternative to current options. I have no direct experience with the products so I welcome anyone with actual hands on experience to add in their insights.

the issues with LEP as I saw them:

1) LEP's seem to be expensive relative to HID and even LED, at least with respect to initial cost. It is a new technology and there are few vendors offering LEP in an indoor grow model. The LEP technology currently seems to being aiming mostly at the outdoor/street lighting market. Luxim, a maker mentioned in the post above, lists a few companies that use their product in a grow setting. one company, Chameleon, has a 300W model that lists for $995! that's the only price I could track down on one of these without directly calling a wholesaler.

2) I have read in threads on LEP that current devices were not initially designed for grow purposes and so have an light spectrum that has an inadequate red spectrum coverage (needed for flower). looking at the light curve shown on the Chameleon web site, that does appear to be the case, for that product at least. They show a product soon to be available that appears to be their "work around": they attach four red LED's to the side of the LEP. Other companies state their LEP has the closest approximation to the full spectrum of sunlight of any lights on the market for indoor/greenhouse growing.

3) I read on another MJ site that the bulb in an LEP light gets to a very high temp, 5000 degrees F. The poster stated bluntly that that kind of device has no place in a home grow. He felt the risk of a fire was too great if there was an accident. I cannot recall if the thread was for the sulfur plasma lights or for the modern solid state ones and I can't remember where i saw it so that issue probably should be taken with appropriate reservation for an unsupported claim

I don't know how much heat an LEP generates for the grow area. some of the web sites for LEP vendors recommend placing the lamps 8 - 12 inches above the canopy, so there can't be too much heat if that is the case.

I don't have any ax to grind, for or against LEP. I think it is a fascinating technology but it seems like it may not yet be a viable/competative option for indoor growing. for the greenhouse, maybe it could be. it comes down to cost and performance. Love to see a side by side by side comparison grow with LEP v LED v HID, looking at inital cost, energy cost of the grow and the outcome of the grow in terms of yield and quality.

if i am breaking any rules by putting that link to the light spectrum of the LEP, please let me know and/or take it down. not trying to promote anything or anyone, just wanted to illustrate a point

Last edited by onavelzy; 03-04-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:05 PM

I saw a plasma lamp on the htg supply website for $1500! How much are the 1000W Gavita's? I saw quoted prices being prohibitively expensive in the past, but that 360 euro (about $500 currently) price seems too good to be true (unfortunately I cannot read German and the link for english does not seem to work for this item)! Plus, where do I get that price in the northeast US, preferably at a place I can go to (have no good mailing options at the moment to order online)? I mean, if they really can be put closer to the plants, and if the light intensity does not drop off as dramatically as with a regular HID, it may be worth it! (any info would be appreciated)
Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 PM

like someone said, I'd like to see a comparison. For the hobbyist with money to spend, it may be worth it to them. For the really large commercial growers, any small increase in yield per lamp would pay the extra lamp cost off in a fairly short amount of time. What about the guy in the middle that would run 2-4 1000 watt lamps? Dollar for dollar costs on reflector replacement, initial lamp costs, electric costs, etc on the input end, versus total dollar (or euro or whatever currency you like) value on the output side (I think this factors both quality and yield into it and makes for a better comparison). Is it worth it for the small to mid size guy?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM

oh, and are they souped up regular HID lamps or are they entirely different, like plasma lights? Are they plasma lights? I saw a generic plasma light at HTG Supply website for $1500! But heard people getting Gavitas for $500 or $550. Must be different.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:49 PM

I was considering getting a gavita plasma with the new (2014) full spectrum bulbs, I've seen the spectrum analysis and the red coming out of it blows away old supplemental plasmas AND HIDs and clocks in at only 270w. It looks fantastic.
I don't have unlimited money and we're talking not much change out of 1.5k per for these, so I'll probly just go to an HPS instead for about half the price BUT I'm sorely tempted and if I saw some grows I'd do it cos on paper these things K.I.L.L 1000w HPS.

Here, on the left is the new plasma full spectrum standalone bulb vs the old supplementary one, note the red:
41.01_41.02_spectrum_comparison_800px.jpg

Last edited by APxRS; 08-19-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Toker View Post
oh, and are they souped up regular HID lamps or are they entirely different, like plasma lights? Are they plasma lights? I saw a generic plasma light at HTG Supply website for $1500! But heard people getting Gavitas for $500 or $550. Must be different.
The gavita I'm going for is not far off that price range (HPS) but for the PLASMA gavitas basically triple that price.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:56 AM

Here is a take on the lights under discussion.

http://www.growweedeasy.com/inductio...on-grow-lights

The site also has some helpful links.

mM