Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 13. Greenhouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Location: The far side of hell, in a perpetual state of non-being

Bulldog, that's great! That can be a year round greenhouse in the right climate, & my first one was covered with single layer corrugated fiberglass. But here, our winters & summers are extreme, couldn't heat/cool it due to no insulation. That made it un-usable in the peak of summer/winter. But if your seasons are extreme, there are ways around it. A dead air pocket insulates. You can cover it with one layer of bubble wrap (walmart sells it cheap by the rolls), then a layer of sheet plastic & be able to heat it just as well in the winter as you can the double walled grnhse covering. This is all clear, not milky. I've also made seasonal grnhses by covering the frame with chicken wire or fence wire for support, then cover that with with 6mil plastic. Comes in 20' x 100' sheets on a roll. After too many broken bones & arthritis whipped my ass & having to do everything by myself, I went with the double walled covering from the mega greenhouse store. It seems expensive at first, but over the years, being maintenance free & cutting heating/cooling cost by more than half, it pays for itself REALLY quick. I'm not kidding when I say the frame has rotted & these pannels are holding the whole thing together. With a little imagination & ingenuity, you can make a grnhse out of unexpected things too. I have an idea I'd like to share. I once read a story in a mag of a man who made a raft from 2 lt soda bottles. Used apoxy to hold them together & sailed around in the ocean a few months. That inspired this idea.... Clear apoxy them together, cap ends inside, bottoms out. Once its built, cover with 6 mil plastic, inside & out. Totally insulated, built from throw away materials. I just can't come up with enough bottles. My friend keeps throwing them away & calls me a hoarder. If you need 1, 000 bottles for a project, how the heck is 20 too many to have around? She thinks everything needs her approval & I refuse to tell why I need them, so maybe I'll gather enough to at least make a large coldframe. Hard for me to come up with enough bottles, considering I hate soda!
- Sorry for the long winded post, but I like sharing off the wall, totally unique ideas & repurposing what would otherwise be trash!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:23 PM

Check out Walipini, cool cheap greenhouse, bet you could Google it.

Cat. Like glass bottle walls to, especially in color

Last edited by tlranger; 07-04-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlranger View Post
Check out Walipini, cool cheap greenhouse, bet you could Google it.

Cat. Like glass bottle walls to, especially in color
Hey Ranger! Sounds like we must read the same type of mags! Bio-domes, earthships, etc..? I haven't seen a pit house since I worked at Davis Florists in the 70's. Our county has ordaninces against pithouses. Some teenagers cut through a chain link fence & were jumping up & down on the roof of a pithouse & fell through. One was impaled on part of the broken rafters & died, so they're now outlawed in my county. IMO, the teenagers should have been charged with criminal trespass & destruction of property, but no, the county attacked the farmer. These 'kids' were 18 &19. They knew better. The 19 yr old who died? It was his father who supplied the booze & got them all liquored up. This happened around 3am & I don't feel the farmer was responsible in the least. THE FATHER WAS! He also supplied the bolt cutters & knew what they were planning to do! This was done in retalitation when the farmer chased them out of his corn field they were trashing with four wheelers. IMO, the FATHER caused his sons death, & the farmer was the victim. This county gets everything backwards. I'd read it in the paper when it happened, but I found out about the stupid ordinance when I went to apply for a building permit to build a pithouse. Stupid, stupid co. I live in farm country, but if you have less than 1 acre, you're not allowed more than 20 corn plants in your garden.
- Pithouses are easy to heat in the winter, & a breeze to keep cool in the summer. Cheapest to build. Good for stealth too. Just check your damned county ordinances before you make make a move! Control freaks! Ugh!
- Sorry Bulldog. I'll quit posting to your thread now.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:55 PM

Equinox happens twice a year .

One in Spring one in Autumn . Plants put out in February have the right amount of daylight to flower before the days get long .

Timing is crucial . But with some experimenting with strains . A good harvest can be had before Spring truly springs .
Old 07-04-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Mary View Post
Equinox happens twice a year .

One in Spring one in Autumn . Plants put out in February have the right amount of daylight to flower before the days get long .

Timing is crucial . But with some experimenting with strains . A good harvest can be had before Spring truly springs .
Guess we should at least mention what hemisphere were in. I'm eastcoast US, so my seasons may not be the same as everyone's. Only get one season here. Ground still frozen soild for spring equinox, sometimes snow, sometimes pure mud if we have an early thaw.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:49 PM

Hi Cat buds hemisphere is not as important as latitude .

Equinox happens twice a year in both hemispheres.

Yes if you are at a high number on the latitude scale to the North or Sth of the equator it may still be cold at Spring Equinox .

Its still 12/12 or close to, for around 60 days .

I`m in the Southern Hemisphere . My post was tailored for the Nth Hemisphere ...

Last edited by Mary Mary; 07-04-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:48 AM

MM. I kinda lost train of thought, considering greenhouses were the topic. Heating & cooling does give us ALL two seasons. I love the smell of a greenhouse, first thing in the am, still sipping on my first cup of coffee. Its addictive! In a perfect world, we'd all have our own grnhse.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:46 AM

This will be the first time I've ever used a green house. I'm going to line the inside with plastic sheeting to create a double wall structure. The dead air space should be enough to insulate it. Propane heater at night during the winter months. Gets really cold here. Appreciate all the input.

You guys writing those long posts need to learn to use paragraphs! I get dizzy trying to read that shit! lol
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 PM

Sorry Bulldog! I can't post pics from this phone . But you got it going on buddy! Glad to hear you've double walled it with plastic! That simple little step will make such a diff cooling & heating!
- Now, I have a request of you! Animal lover that I am, I want to see a pic of that bulldog you're the dad of!
Sorry, just re-read this after cleaning my glasses. You didn't say photographs, you said paragraphs! Haha!
(BTW, that's an official symptom of 'old farts syndrome' )

Last edited by catbuds; 07-06-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 AM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.4 KB, 4 views)