Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 11. Seedlings and clones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2016, 04:45 AM

Default Cutting in a glass of water

Was trimming lower branches and thought why not try root them in a glass/plastic container of water , rather than throw them out or disgard .
There in a heated prop under 20 W flourescent . No rooting hormone .
Due to kid's etc i cant put these on a windowsill , i'll see how it grow's .
latest ringtones, zedge.com , popular ringtones

Last edited by NicoleJS; 01-04-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:58 AM

afaik suspending the stem in water should keep the cuts "fresh" for longer and allow you to transplant them into their rooting medium a day or two after being cut.

Rooting should not happen or be negligible (not healthy/strong enough to transplant and grow).

But always worth a try.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:56 PM

Hey Nicole,

sure rooting will happen, i did root a branch from a plant which was 3 weeks in bloom, just in water without anything added. Just make sure you change the water after 2-3 days, so you won't get any mold or rot buildups. My branch needed 3 and a half weeks to shoot roots but in the end it did.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:13 PM

I agree. It most certainly can root if conditions are right.

I also agree to change the water often.

I myself would change it everyday.

IMHO Rooting solution can be overrated. Not saying it cant help, especially if it has a fungicide. But is not mandatory. I rooted more with No hormone than I have over 40 years.

Last edited by 59lespaul; 09-30-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:31 AM

Hm, I stand corrected then.

If I would try with only water, I would at least add some aloe vera pulp/juice into the liquid ...

But if these more experienced guys say it works, it likely will.

You probably should also make sure that the roots are not subjected to much light if you are using glasses as light can also cause roots to get funky.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:47 PM

Rooting them in a glass/cup, isn't really much different than Floating them.

I have in the past used Styrofoam with a hole in the middle with the stem going down into the water, and the cutting being kept afloat by the Styrofoam.

I also would change the water every day doing this method. Also agitating the water a little bit every now and then is a +.

Also I'm not saying that this is optimal, only that it can work.

Also I find some strains do better than others with this method
Old 10-02-2016, 03:01 PM

I've got a six inch cutting in a clear plastic container by a window right now. It's got 12 inches of white healthy roots on it. I use tap water because chlorine kills anything in the water that might kill or feed the plant. It has been there a month, hasn't really grown, but it's rooting like crazy.

The roots get light, but, the chlorine kills any algae so no worries. I've got an Axolotl in the same room and I have to fight the algae daily since the salamander needs live water. I also root pineapple tops the same way, had one in a glass for over six months, it grew a bit but mostly just filled the glass with a crazy spiral of roots.

Those multi hundred dollar cloning tubs with the sprayers make me chuckle. Like mentioned by 59lespaul earlier, a tub of water and some styrofoam will work just fine.

Cheers,

Hunglikeafruitbat.

Last edited by Hunglikeafruitbat; 10-02-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: I'll tell ya for some SSH beans.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:28 AM

Default jam it into some dirt

Sometimes i rip off a branch when pulling lower leaves off. Ill just jam it into some dirt or another plant thats vegging. Mist it here and there with water and make sure the soil doesnt dry out. I dont pay too much attention to it.