Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 10. Mothers and fathers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Resinfinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b_b1tch1n View Post
one thing ive not seen in other sites where i have read about bonsai moms is reliability of the clones to not hermie

has anyone actually grown out clones from a bonsai mom ? and if so did the clones hermie ? it seems like way too much stress on the mother plant , to me it seems fine for a house plant but for canabis it seems way too stressfull

for 20 or 30 years or more we have been told not to over prune a plant or we will stress it out bad , so this is why i ask if anyone has used this method and were the clones ok ?

i only ask because im curious , not because i want to try it , i have lotsa head space so my 7 foot mom wouldnt take anymore floor space then the required bonsai moms id need to produce enough clones , my last 7 foot mom wouldnt look different after taking 200 clones , could have double or tripled those numbers and hardly noticed it lol

great idea this bonsai for those with highth restrictions though i got to admit that

peace

I do this all the time. I think it's a great way to test a plant as Josh said. If it herms from cutting football and chopping down it's an easy cull. I've never had a clone herm and not the mother when doing this.
Best practice with using this is to take cuttings when plant is healthy.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:03 AM

Ive never experienced herms this way. However, if you start using coco instead of dirt you can pretty much eliminate cutting the rootball. Ive had plants in that size pot for months (actually shorter). Its just important to use enzymes and water more frequently and to cut some of the roots that start shooting out of the drainage holes.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 PM

thanks for the info.. I will check out that line of nutes..

I wanted to say again, how important this is for people, or the personal user.. personal user meaning they grow for themselves. which you can tone down alot and still achieve what you are after..

conservation is a big part to think about sometimes with out lights, fans, electric, even air con... people who grow big mom's to take some cuts off them are wasting alot of energy and I mean in every category ( lighting, electric, fans, water, nutrients, pumps if running hydro.... )

if trimmed right or shall I say topped, your bonsai mom can provide many many cuttings, and as the originator said, if you somehow need more then the bonsai mom will allow, make another bonsai mom, that simple..

bonsai also allows you to get close and personal with your plant. it's a genetic same as a big plant, only small.. I seem to love looking at my bonsai mom's and seeing the difference in phenos..

this is also a great way to grow strains in a small place, combined with my method I do.. grow a seed in a small container ( these 2 inch pots ) in coco fiber, they will allow to grow till sexed, and then if you are busy in other rooms or don't have the space, it's as simple as tossing males ( if you don't want them ) and chopping down the females to bonsai size again.. it's very simple to do, you let it grow to 5-7 nodes, then when sexed, top the plant, let it start "bushing" out and then chop off all fan leaves, wait a couple days, then trim up the root ball and cut back growth to just a few leaves sticking around... bingo, you know have sexed plants, and in small form for when you are ready to clone out that plant and flower that strain...

all in all, there are many reasons to grow bonsai, the main ones being, consumption is down in all levels, you get to examine your phenos, and they are very very manageable genetic reserves... also they do teach simplicity..

anyone who hasn't done this, I suggest to give it a try, and see how fun it can be, and how much simplier you will make your life giving "bonsai" a little space to grow....

thanks again to the originator!!

Last edited by pepper; 07-23-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 PM

hi there
joshuahazen do u think its a bad thing to put the bonsai moms pot to pot without any space between the pots (like a sog) or do you recommend to give them slightly more space?

Do u use 18/6 or 24/0 for your moms?

great report man but i would have made 3 or 4 main stems for each mom
Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 AM

^

well if you do it, you'll see they kinda want some space, they do bush out.. also good idea for PM, leaf on leaf equals wet conditions on leaves.. you could do it, but they would have to be mainteind smaller, in my opinion,

I cannot speak for the originator, but I use as little light as I think possibe ( I work with Dj strains and can be light sensitive ), I use 16 on. point being you are maintaing a strain, not trying to grow it out.. I've also heard of people doing like 13 on, then 1 hour on in the middle of dark, but Im not gonna test it on my bonsai's. better left to a side test, as bonsai moms are genetic backups..

shaping is half the fun of bonsai moms, they can all come out a little so different, or you can try and maintain uniformity, or you can grow 1 or 2 branchss to grow slower, and less maintence.. its up to the end user how they want to shape there genetic reserve..
Old 07-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Hi Pepper and Zigger, you are welcome, thanks to all for the insightful comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhigh View Post
hi there
joshuahazen do u think its a bad thing to put the bonsai moms pot to pot without any space between the pots (like a sog) or do you recommend to give them slightly more space?

Do u use 18/6 or 24/0 for your moms?

great report man but i would have made 3 or 4 main stems for each mom
Well if you are cramped for space you can put them pot to pot just fine, but you will need to keep them clean, and make sure you remove dead and dying leaves promptly.

If you have the space of course they prefer not to be touching each other, but pot to pot works just fine if you need to utilize all space available.

Generally it depends, I use 24 if I am keeping them with seedlings or regenerating(reveging) plants, or making clones. But if they are all by themselves for use as mothers only, they can be kept on 18 no problem.

Hi Friends,
Check it out:
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=5345
The Bonsai Sultan Method: Typological Breeding for the Non Breeder, Beginner, or Pro with Little Space.

Last edited by joshuahazen; 07-28-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Ive never experienced herms this way. However, if you start using coco instead of dirt you can pretty much eliminate cutting the rootball. Ive had plants in that size pot for months (actually shorter). Its just important to use enzymes and water more frequently and to cut some of the roots that start shooting out of the drainage holes.
Perhaps coco is a better medium than a good organic worm casting based soil, I do not know, as I have never used pure coco as a medium.

However as good as it may be, I cannot see it eliminating the need to prune back the rootball every 2 to 3 months.

It is possible to keep bonsai mothers healthy in two inch containers for several years at a time(although I reccomend replacing them annually for good measure), all the while harvesting up to 10 or more clones every 2-3 months, but the rootball must be pruned regularly in the manner specified or it simply will not work.

You cannot get that healthy spurt of new branch growth, over and over again, unless you cut the rootball on schedule.

Hi Friends,
Check it out:
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=5345
The Bonsai Sultan Method: Typological Breeding for the Non Breeder, Beginner, or Pro with Little Space.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 PM

my out of control bonsai ...needs a good scalpin soon... jackie-o #3...peace...elk..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC00205.jpg (832.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 PM

sorry bout that....elk..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC00205.jpg (826.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 PM

^ nice plant you got going on there. lot of tops if you want clones

.75 gallon container though?

nice flowers in the back. don't know anything about keeping flowers though, only pot plants