Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 10. Mothers and fathers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Banned

it's an interest topic
Old 05-02-2019, 03:47 AM

Default pls help

Hi all, right after I got my patient license I immediately built a nice little grow closet. I am new at this, so for my first crop, I just used bag seed of this strains https://www.gyo.green/gyo-seedbank-c...bst-okc-f.html for practice. I have no idea what Iím gonna get but the seeds came from an outdoor indica dominant hybrid. The seeds sprouted 28 days ago and I ended up with my legal 6 plants that are about 8Ē tall now and are starting their 6th node. Iíve been viewing YouTube for sexing and it should be about time for them to fess up, but every time I look closely at where they say to look for little balls, or hairs as you really want, the little flap just keeps turning into another branch and a new fan of leaves. Am I looking too soon? These are obviously indica like plants, really bushy with wide dark green leaves. 7 leaves in the latest branches. By the way, Iím using 400w worth of full spectrum ledís, lots of fans blowing around in there, and an exhaust that runs 24/7. Iím keeping it between 74 & 76* and Iím watering with 5.8-6.0 ph corrected water. My light cycle is currently 18/6. Anything else I should be doing? These things look very healthy and theyíre growing like, well, weeds... Iím just scared Iím gonna end up with 6 males so any help sexing these things will be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selinacantrell View Post
Hi all, right after I got my patient license I immediately built a nice little grow closet. I am new at this, so for my first crop, I just used bag seed of this strains https://www.gyo.green/gyo-seedbank-c...bst-okc-f.html for practice. I have no idea what Iím gonna get but the seeds came from an outdoor indica dominant hybrid. The seeds sprouted 28 days ago and I ended up with my legal 6 plants that are about 8Ē tall now and are starting their 6th node. Iíve been viewing YouTube for sexing and it should be about time for them to fess up, but every time I look closely at where they say to look for little balls, or hairs as you really want, the little flap just keeps turning into another branch and a new fan of leaves. Am I looking too soon? These are obviously indica like plants, really bushy with wide dark green leaves. 7 leaves in the latest branches. By the way, Iím using 400w worth of full spectrum ledís, lots of fans blowing around in there, and an exhaust that runs 24/7. Iím keeping it between 74 & 76* and Iím watering with 5.8-6.0 ph corrected water. My light cycle is currently 18/6. Anything else I should be doing? These things look very healthy and theyíre growing like, well, weeds... Iím just scared Iím gonna end up with 6 males so any help sexing these things will be appreciated.

It can take 5-8 weeks or longer for sex to show under 18/6.
It usually shows around the 5-7 node if plants are mature enough and healthy but I have had hazel or sativa not show until after 12/12.
When I sex in 18/6 the females usually show first,then later the males.
It can take 6-8 weeks or longer so if your plants are healthy donít worry the sex glands will appear.
Just because your plants have 6 nodes doesnít mean sex has or will show.It can take 10 nodes before plants show sex.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:26 PM

Others may deviate, however I believe it's substantial to choose guys dependent on structure. I mean to run a pack of Afghan Haze one year from now to search for foggy plants, so it appears to be consistent to choose murkiness inclining plants and winnow indica types dependent on structure, at any rate to disperse the group with the goal that lone a couple of make it into the bloom tent. Obviously I'm going to toss out some great potential plants in light of the fact that a cloudiness high can emerge out of an Indica looking plant, however when all is said in done the sativa looking plants are destined to give sativa impacts.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:53 PM

Is there a ratio of node spacing to look for in a male?
Old 11-09-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growstone View Post
A post from shanti..
. There are several other traits to look for in a male but these are rather advanced and need microscope help which is not really relevant for the hobby grower/breeder.
This part has been bugging me for years!! What the fuck are we looking for under a microscope?? Shantibaba? Lol

All I could think of is trichome structure, but he says several other traits.

I'm sure THC testing would be great, maybe even terpines figure you pick the male with the most terpines and THC you will be doing pretty good.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Breeder and moderator

Hi All

correct i meant it needs lab testing for cannabinoids and of terpene profiling, plus checking the onset of resin glands and where they form either on the stem or all over, and of course the most concrete testing is hitting different males with same female and checking the progeny plants...for me this is essential so you are sure how it is performing in the seed you are distributing to others. Stress testing progeny plants is also a good indicator of strong males.
The ratio to look for is according to Fibonacci series 1 to 1.6.
I do recall years ago with Nevil in south of Holland and before female seeds came into being, we tested to see if the males were true and not with hermie tendencies, we reversed the males much as we do for female seed production nowadays. If the reversed males were sterile it showed true male chromosomes and if they produced seeds then it showed a potential for hermie seed....so hope that helps clear up things.

All the best Sb

"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." -Lao Tzu

all the best,
Shantibaba
http://www.mrnice.nl
https://shop.mrnice.nl
Old 11-09-2019, 08:11 PM

Thanks Shanti, I have wondered about males that are reversed and managed to produce seeds for a very long time.