Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 10. Mothers and fathers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 03:58 PM

Default Will clones of light induced hermies be normal?

I don't know if this belongs in seedlings/clones section, here, or elsewhere, feel free to move it.

OK I don't want to take over another discussion (see https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/11-seedl...-re-veg-2.html for more details), so felt the need to start this thread. Question is, if you had a light leak problem and had almost every plant go hermie, but some of those showed promise, will resulting clones or the regerated plants (or seeds for that matter) be hermies also? Or since it was a light leak, if corrected, the clones will be normal female? thanks in advance for any ideas!

Last edited by Space Toker; 03-17-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 PM

If the hermaphroditism was from the light leaks then it is environmental and clones should not hermi. I say should b/c hermis seem to be a natural selection plus for cannabis and it is not hard to breed for hermis or to stress non hermis and make them so.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:33 PM

Yeah they shouldn't I saw a guy here stressed his plants too hermie fixed the problem and all the clones were good reveging may add stress but Joe King Park here is a pro at reveging and don't have any trouble. The seeds should definitely be fine too if its just a light leak and you fixed it but how bad of a leak? if it's just a pin hole you may have stressed them another way.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 PM

Well, there was light coming out of a veg box we built (how do you light proof a home made box or tent?) It was in a larger room that contained a flowering tent, and next to a flowering room. Light leaked in (from the box and the ducting we were forced to vent into the flowering room) and out of the flowering room, and into the tent. I have to find a way to light proof the box, or find space (space is limited) somewhere else for the veg box. I taped the pinhole leaks in the tent but the vents still let in light. I block off the vent closest to and facing the box, and air comes into it passively through the other vent and actively from a porch. The flower room has had the biggest issues, and the leaks around the door and ducting have been greatly reduced, want to say eliminated but can't be sure yet. You mentioned other sources of stress, what would be serious enough among these to cause hermies?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Banned

i think depending on the strain it can be anything, and not necessarily what you would think would be serious - like fans blowing directly on them, nutrient issues, watering blah blah blah, also that some strains will just poop out nanners.

i think some people build a mini rat run box to stop vent light:

lightbox.jpg

...or something.

will limit airflow though.

then just mummifying everything in ductape and lightproof sheeting and a light proof velcroed sheet for front zip if necessary (?).

i.e. "throwing money at it"
Old 05-11-2014, 06:58 AM

hermies stay hermies, no matter what the outer world is doing, its written in the genes
Old 05-12-2014, 12:47 AM

If it was the fault of the genes, your statement probably is true. But when you have had several crops, each running 6 to 10 different strains from different sources, and most end up showing at least some male flowers, it must be something else.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Toker View Post
Well, there was light coming out of a veg box we built (how do you light proof a home made box or tent?) It was in a larger room that contained a flowering tent, and next to a flowering room. Light leaked in (from the box and the ducting we were forced to vent into the flowering room) and out of the flowering room, and into the tent. I have to find a way to light proof the box, or find space (space is limited) somewhere else for the veg box. I taped the pinhole leaks in the tent but the vents still let in light. I block off the vent closest to and facing the box, and air comes into it passively through the other vent and actively from a porch. The flower room has had the biggest issues, and the leaks around the door and ducting have been greatly reduced, want to say eliminated but can't be sure yet. You mentioned other sources of stress, what would be serious enough among these to cause hermies?
hallo s/toker, - About the tent inside the bedroom''

Thing is when we put tents in bedrooms etc we must keep the whole room darkened out, a little light coming in under the door or sides shouldn't matter though, plants are in a room in a room after all, in this case the tent that some do have the pin holes like you've mentioned, again not enough to really ruin a good crop if you've good genes in dem der plants,' a few seeds yes but no hermie, not all of em surely,

deran mentioned already the clones will hermie if your plants turned out as real hermies, I agree, ive never had any luck using these when hoping some clones will revert back to female status only,

Id personaly find another clone source or buy new seeds perhaps,

good luck - b.

Links to various threads Ive previously written on the forums here - ie: - On breeding pink skunks/
old super skunk hybrid - Medicinal type -

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/6-breeders-support-information/6918-breeding-pink-skunks.html

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/16-bud-sh...ldt-cross.html
Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 PM

Bambi, sorry I forgot to add the bedroom is an unused one in the basement, with a veg box next to it that leaks light. And I have seen a couple "real hermies" over a few years time, where there are just male flowers mixed in everywhere from early on. These are not like that. Usually develop a few weeks into flower here and there. And since I grew seeds from several reputable breeders as well as seed gifted over the years, I doubt it is the genetics. I thank you for your help, and hopefully I can figure this out.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:54 AM

I've done that a few times.
All it means is that the plants that hermied are susceptible to light stress. A lot are of course.
When you run the clones just be sure it's dark.