Z8 x Afghan Haze

Hi tapioca,

It’s been so wet here I can’t even get out to the plants and I still have a few that I’d like to get in. Interesting to hear about the smells, as soon as I’m able to check mine out I’ll post my findings.

Sorry to hear about you losing the 2 girls, always a shame when that happens.

Yeah, guerilla growing can be a drag sometimes.

Hi tapioca,

Yeah, guerilla growing can be a drag sometimes.
You said it.It almost feels like putting her out there only to live a lie!

I don't know much about the plant,but I do know she loves the field life.They get so manic at the habit...they weep to the wind to find them love,they laugh at the death of the sun...but most of all,they take up space as they please!It's difficult for plants that live from year to year to do this.The forest feels like a lie to both me and her.Sometimes I smell rotting matter and I think;"gosh,it's midsummer and with all this wretched heat,something out here can stay wet enough to keep rotting?"
Not to mention that going to the woods in midsummer is a test of will!Good luck leaving there after doing chores saying something like"that was fun!"
I love to go and drink from the cold spring up there...it's the only thing that keeps me coming back for more!(It's almost a two hour drive:mad:)

But hey,we gotta make do with what we got in this world.If I had a little side field to plant in,I wouldn't get to know what a bummer growing in the backwoods can be!Now I do!I don't know if I'll be undergoing all that again next year.I wanna grow plants outdoors (it only makes sense!!!),but I don't want to "throw" them out in the woods.That's what I feel like I did with these.All that care and stuff that went into raising seedlings just to have nature thin them out due to them being in an alien environment.The plant comes from the fields!It is a field specimen!I want to go to the fields to plant her!

I find they smell really strong;especially when pouring water on them to cool them off.It radiates a skunk smell!

Yeah,cold summers are no fun(we get those sometimes...this year is close to one of them.We got a save in the last few weeks,...,but before that temps had a hard time hitting and staying in the twenty Centigrades.Was a cold late spring/early summer.)

I hope you get some balmy sunshine soon Betterhaff:)

Last edited:
It dried up enough for me to check some of the plants, wow that was a lot of water. These 2 are a little over 2 feet. It looks like they really want to branch and it does say in the description a bushy type of plant.

Not much in smells other than a fresh scent although it was early in the morning. One has kind of a skunkiness. I have one that I still need to get in that has a hint of grapefruit and I think there has been that kind of smell in some of the Z7’s.

Hey tapioca, how often do you have to water those potato bags and how big are they? (if you’ve ever used them)

Attachments

• Z2  7.14.13.jpg
    Z2 7.14.13.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Z2 T 7.14.13.jpg
    Z2 T 7.14.13.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Z1  7.14.13.jpg
    Z1 7.14.13.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 13
  • Z1 T 7.14.13.jpg
    Z1 T 7.14.13.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 12
Hooray!
You're getting the "kinks" and "suckers" like crazy!

I didn't get to buy the bags unfortunately.I went to different garden store locations and couldn't find any.I will place them in the ground.I'll show you some pics later on.Hey,I figured out how to paste pics.
This are my favourite one.Pic is from approx. two weeks ago.
DSCF4473.JPG

Thanks for the pics and the chit chat.I like your plants!

Last edited:
That plant is looking good tapioca, it looks like it’s really bushing out. Did you do any training or topping?

I initially started 5 seeds and they all turned out to be female. I started another 4 seeds, all 4 cracked but only three came up but it looks like those too are female, one is for sure and the other 2 look to be also.

I’m not complaining but it kind thru me off a bit. I was expecting to at least get a few males which would not be planted outdoors. Now I have 8 females, 4 are already in the ground and I need to find homes for the other 4. This is compounded by one my sites possibly being compromised, so I’ve had to find some new territory. And the weather hasn’t helped as far as being able to work out there.

I’m not too concerned about yield with these, this is more of a pheno hunt. I may keep one of them in a pot in the garden just so I can monitor progress, but will have to do some manipulating to keep her stealthy. I may pot up the one that was showing some purple early on, she is showing quite a bit of purple veining in her stem and petioles.

Here’s a pic of an Angel Heart starting to take off, she’s about 3½ ft or so.

Attachments

• AH 2  7.18.13.jpg
    AH 2 7.18.13.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 9
I’m thinking about keeping one of these in a pot and am trying to decide on which one. As mentioned in my last post I was thinking on the one that is showing some purple, I know this is not something to really use as selection criteria (??) but it may look pretty cool come the cooler weather. The other one I’m thinking about is one that has a grapefruit citrus thing going on.

Just tossing this around. After seeing how some of these are doing in the wild, they seem to look like they are going to be a bush type plant. I don’t know how inconspicuous I may be able to keep it in a pot. I may put them all out if I’m able to find homes for them.

Has anybody experienced a grapefruit scent in growing any of the Z series? I thought I recalled that being said and that it may be coming from the Cannatonic side of things. I’m really kind of surprised there haven’t been more reports on the Z8 x Afghan Haze, they’ve been out there for a while. I would think there may have been some indoor grows. With me growing mine outdoors it’s going to be months before I see any results with finished fruits.

All 8 are females and I put 2 more in the ground last night.

hi Betterhaff

the burden of choice eh?hehe...nah,all kidding aside,whatever pleases you is the way to go!
Glad to hear about you finding a specimen that bit your nose:p
I found that they respond well to snapping...the one in that pic of my last reply was not topped.I didn't stake the pot and I found it lying on it's side:(...she responded well to it though:)

I will be looking to you for inspiration on these...sad to say poor planning has left me down and out (not to mention what has become of the plants that I loved so much:()

Hope you don't stress over making a choice which plant to pot:p...I'm sure you could play around with the plant's lumber to keep it lo-pro and she'll occupy a snug corner of the garden

My biggest problem is deciding what to do with some of the plants I would still like to put in. Now, each one requires digging a new hole and that’s not that easy at this stage of the game. I hear you about planning, I always go a little overboard and seem to always be playing catch up. I guess it’s the window of opportunity that gets you when you’re growing outdoors.

Are your Z’s not doing well? I was going to count on you, lol, I’m limited with what I can do pic wise. It’s also good to swap notes.

Are your Z’s not doing well? I was going to count on you, lol, I’m limited with what I can do pic wise. It’s also good to swap notes.

errr...not so much.I also went a bit overboard without forward planning...long story short,due to the CBD2 being given out...I felt it was appropriate to use the planting holes for these instead.
I went overboard with my expectations,mind body and soul.I procrastinated in giving these a transplant (they were so nice once upon a time !)...resulting in manic culling (due to shock from neglect) .

I am still trying to figure out how to grease my bearings with this planting stuff...maybe it's not my calling and it's meant for someone else:eek:.

But i'm not out yet...I filled two holes whereas I culled plants from the first succession that I found the z8xAfgHz could outshine.

I could sound sappy and say sorry...but I'd rather not and say I've learnt something from this experience!(What a waste though:()

Oh well,yours will cheer me up! I peeped in on your la nina thread;you've got some skills B!I'm hoping one day I can have nice plants like yours:)

See you!I smile anyhow...they're just plants after all;)
Hope to get stoned with what does come from this .(I'll still post a snap or two when I get new ones.)

...long story short,due to the CBD2 being given out...I felt it was appropriate to use the planting holes for these instead.

Ah, selection preemption. That thought has gone thru my head a few times. Sometimes you do what you have to do. I’m sure the CBD 2’s have a little more development behind them compared to the Z8’s, it’s all dependant on what you’re after.

I still can’t believe I didn’t get any Z8 males and it thru my plant count up as far as females. I’m also growing some cuts of Angel Heart and Early Haze I selected from last year plus some new blood of each. I’ve got a Dreamtime cut I love out there and a Walkabout I would love to get in (no idea what it is). I also have some other stuff from different sources as well as the La Niñas. Thanks for the kind words, I’ve been growing on and off for a while…but give a lot of the credit to the genetics.

I have pretty much planted all I could in this plot and now it’s up to nature. I have cuttings of all plants here and will not be monitoring these as much to keep traffic down to and from.

The Z8 seem to be fairly uniform with 6 of the plants looking almost identical. The only real differences are their size because of different transplant times. There is one that looks quite indica (the one that was showing purple).

Here’s a pic of the 2 bigger ones, they were planted about a week apart. With the cages, the plants don’t really get going until they reach 2 feet (the top of the cage). I’ll try and get some pics of the other ones.

Attachments

• Z 1 & Z 2  7.24.13.jpg
    Z 1 & Z 2 7.24.13.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 31
Crazy Weather

It was hot, then wet, now cool, and it’s supposed to be dry for a while and get hot again. Here are a couple of shots of the two Z8’s that were out the earliest. They are about 4 feet, really branching out and just starting to flower.

I was stalled in putting the others out because of rain and they are behind size wise, some of it may also have to do with having to dig new holes and not being able to let the soil work and settle. They all look healthy just not as far along.

With them just starting to flower, hope they are able to finish properly. Seems that the consensus is the CBD types need a little longer to achieve their optimum.

Thanks Camp420 and good luck, is that a Devil from Shanti?

Attachments

• Z 1  8.15.13.jpg
    Z 1 8.15.13.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Z 2  8.15.13.jpg
    Z 2 8.15.13.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 10
I need to get out and check the plants for an update. I did keep one in a pot, repotted over the weekend, it was topped a couple of weeks ago. I’m trying to keep it outdoors, as stealthy as possible, so it will probably have to remain on the small side.

An observation, I removed some of the fan leaves yesterday and after crushing them they had a grapefruit type smell. I have another one that is in the field that also has this scent. I have a grapefruit tree (or should I say a citrus tree that came from a grapefruit seed), the smell of its crushed leaves is almost the same scent as that of Z8 I’m talking about. So, I have a couple of these plants that have some sort of a citrus thing going on, or at least at the moment. The one in the pot is also the one that was showing purple early on.

Thanks Cavedweller, sometimes those night shots turn out pretty good, sometimes not. @Camp420, how do the growth habits compare between the Devil and Nordle outdoors? I’ve had my eye on Devil and can’t decide whether to go that route or try one of the Master Kush hybrids.

Got a break with the weather so I checked on some of the Z8’s last night, it was supposed to be raining. It’s too bad I have to grow guerilla style, with a strain like this it would be nice to be able to run them in all the same conditions. It’s like I’m lacking a control group…they have been transplanted at different times, in different locations so effects of environment are making a difference on how they progress.

I will say there seems to be some consistency in their growth habit even though their treatment has not been consistent. Here are a few pics of the first one I put out compared to one that was put out a month later. Z6 was transplanted 7/20 and Z1 was put out 6/20. Z6 looks very similar to what Z1 did weeks ago. The major difference is the plant not being as established because of the later transplant date. Z1 is really starting to put on flowers as is Z2 (not pictured here) which was put out about the same time.

I also included a shot of an Early Haze, this is from a clone from last year which I never flowered out. The last 2 pics are a couple of different angles of an Angel Heart. I love the structure on this plant.

Attachments

• Z 6 8.27.13.jpg
    Z 6 8.27.13.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Z 6  8.27.13.jpg
    Z 6 8.27.13.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Z 1 8.27.13.jpg
    Z 1 8.27.13.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 11
  • EH 55  8.27.13.jpg
    EH 55 8.27.13.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 19
  • AH 2 8.27.13.jpg
    AH 2 8.27.13.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 16
  • AH 2  8.27.13.jpg
    AH 2 8.27.13.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks tapioca. Quick update, it’s been a while. We had a hot, dry spell and then it got unseasonably cold last night (may turn on the colors). It’s supposed to warm up again with some rain, hopefully it will help them plump up some more (will have to keep an eye out for mold).

These are nice looking plants. The others are on the small side because of when they were transplanted and lack of moisture but I will get quite of bit of bud to test. I have cuts of everything.

The smells on these 2 are similar, Z1 has a strong fuel/solvent initially followed by a deep berry, Z2 has the same but the berry is more subtle. I will probably harvest these in stages and keep separate to see if there are differences in the effects.

Attachments

• Z 1 9.13.13.jpg
    Z 1 9.13.13.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Z 1  9.13.13.jpg
    Z 1 9.13.13.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Z 2 9.13.13.jpg
    Z 2 9.13.13.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Z 2  9.13.13.jpg
    Z 2 9.13.13.jpg